monosynths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:41 pm

crufty wrote:What 23 is referring to is that many poly's have a specific 'mono' switch, making them monophonic. I agree, I wish many monos were poly--actually, multi-channel poly.
oh, i got it, my old dx 21 had it, potamento and all!
but, i could always switch it off, and layer sounds up and let the board do some of the work.
i do have to, in some bands, use the polyphony of course, cuz the bandleader wants piano and organ parts (the horror of being a synth player in a band :roll: ), but, when it is up to me, i use the monos and try to craft parts that support the song, and i do love 80's synth riffs, so that type of stuff slides in there too.

i'll summarize like this. if i were offered a 10 dollar mod for my cs01 that'd make it 8 note poly, well, i don't think i'd do it.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:41 pm

well, i'd take the mod switch. that would be the sweetest cs01(mkiii) evah.

but i agree with your point: i've yet to find a polysynth that can create as good (expressive, fat, manipulatable, whatever...) lead or bassline as the mono synths that i have.

in my mind i'd like to believe it's out there. maybe the memory moog could do it. but i don't have one of those to try out.

there've been some roland polys that sounded pretty good to me. but still, just a little shy.

-geoffrey smallsynth

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:53 pm

zmd wrote:
i'll summarize like this. if i were offered a 10 dollar mod for my cs01 that'd make it 8 note poly, well, i don't think i'd do it.
You best not!
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35

Post by zmd » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:10 pm

i think it mental of course, i have no doubt that a poly evolver is hott as blazes, but, the mono evolver has that air of mysitque...kinda like deciding against power steering or going camping in yosemite instead of touristing in some faceless chain linked resort

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:24 pm

You play a mono differently. End of story. I don't care what trained background you come from, you just play a mono synthesizer completely different. I also agree that most true analog poly synths that have a mono mode, do not sound like a dedicated mono. But, everyone SHOULD have an analog poly around for unison! :D

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401

Post by smallsynth » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:32 pm

JSRockit wrote:
zmd wrote:
You best not!

well, if it had a switch so you could turn it off, and it would be the EXACT same as before the mod... even then?

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:35 pm

23 wrote:I mean I don't get it,.
well at least you admit it ;)

smallsynth

Post by smallsynth » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:36 pm

a few years ago when i first got into mono synths i acquired my first: a korg ms10 (i loved it). when i heard about midi mods, i called someplace, like kenton, and asked about mod options.

we were having communication difficulties until they realized that i wanted to use the ms10 as a controller, not as a slave. they couldn't understand why anyone would want to actually play the ms. the keyboard action, after all, was terrible.

well, yeah, but i loved to play my monosynth.

-geoffrey smallsynth

zmd

Post by zmd » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:19 pm

smallsynth wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
zmd wrote:
You best not!

well, if it had a switch so you could turn it off, and it would be the EXACT same as before the mod... even then?
likely not, i thrive on limitations.
my recording set up is a 300 mhz pc with an old copy of cool edit...i'm like the guy who still loves 4 track tape, 'cept, i dont love tape.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Sorry about the diss 23 ... what I'm guessing at is that you don't really ever "play" monosynths ... so maybe the difference isn't as obvious

kulten

Post by kulten » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 pm

I play bass guitar, tin whistle, alto recorder, and monosynth... it's obvious for me...
a way of live : BOSS SYB-3 bass synthesizer

https://www.facebook.com/Kulten/

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:52 pm

I love to play my Jupiter-8 in monomode. Its quite convincing both with base and leads.

But the minimoog is the ultimate mono-synth, at lest 80% percent of my music time is spent on the minimoog since several months.

And by the way didnt Mahavishnu John McLaughlin play 6 minimoog throu a special guitar interface? Poly monos. :lol:
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:49 pm

JUGEL wrote:Sorry about the diss 23 ... what I'm guessing at is that you don't really ever "play" monosynths ... so maybe the difference isn't as obvious
No, actually I do. And oddly enough, I'm sitting around 6 monosynths that I currently own right now.....there's 7th (XS) on the way around December. That's leaving out an additional the MS-10 and 101 that I've owned in the past. As stands, like I said, the 777 is my favorite synth....has been for practically the past decade, and despite it having a sequencer, I don't at all view the sequencer as my sole means as playing it. It's not rare at all for me to play it via keys.

However, I also am one of those that on occassion has taken my poly's and gone "Nope....for this patch you should be mono". The choice came in the difference of how the two act in regard to voice retriggering, portamento, etc.

When it comes to a poly, you essientially need one monosynth per voice...and so I was being quite literal when saying that I poly can become mono (it arguably already is) but not the other way around.

The biggest difference I've noticed between mono and poly synths is that if you're dealing in the analogue realm, unless you're jumping into the realm of VA, you're not likley to run into a poly that features more than 2 Oscs....you're even less likely to find a poly that features more than 2 Oscs and hits or goes beyond the 6 voice barrier.

In any regard, I look at 6 as my baseline on a poly because at 6 voice, I figure, "O.K., I can squeeze a bit more than a base line chord out of you without having to immideatly turn to sampling"; which is cool I think. But to that same end, I still have some mono-synth capability there.
When poly's get multi-timbral, that's when it's most interesting I think, as it's just like having a spread of monos, monos and polies, or just one poly...it's a cool option to have at your disposal.

Moog seems to have caught on to this same thinking....thus their whole thing with "Hey, you can start building a poly out of our stuff" capability.
I mean really, only problem with their route is it's not as cost efficient as if they just built an actual fully self contained poly rather than forcing someone to have to by an entire case and controller for each individual voice.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm

quick - name as many multimbral analogues as you can. The only sophisticated ones I can think of (Xpander) ... aren't that good at monosynth sounds...

A Poly in unison mose doesn't sound like a monosynth to me ... mono mode does ... sometimes...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 pm

tell that ignorant piano player that the human voice is (normally) monophonic, outside of Tuvan throat singers and the like.
Every singer heard is defining/expressing/selling their soul using only a monophonic instrument - their voice.
It's kinda funny, I had the same experience w/ a piano-playing friend that just WOULDN'T see the possibility of using a monosynth. He was actually dismissive, derisive and dug himself a deeper hole to crawl out of the more he kept on. I answered every question to the best of my ability, but he just gave up after a while.
As if progress were the same as more=better. Progress can often be short-sighted and makes things worse off than before.

The right tool for the right job. That's all it's about.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies