monosynths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
memo

Post by memo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:34 pm

I think the appeal of monosynths isn't necessarily just the functionality - it's the fact that there are plenty of discrete monosynths, but there are very few discrete polysynths.

Even with IC-based synths, sometimes the mono version is better for certain sounds - the Pro One has features that the Prophet 5 lacks. They might have the same chipset (Rev 3), but the Pro One is a better bass machine with its auto portamento mode, and its better modulation section.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:43 pm

It's interesting to read on the forward of the Monomachines manual....

"We have put all our efforts into explore, to the fullest extent, the concept we believe is one of the most creative in the history of synthesizers - the monophonic synthesizer with a tightly integrated sequencer. "

Analogue or digital you can get away with far a more abstract or extreme sound with just a single voice that would otherwise sound like a mess polyphonically, also with polysynths you are restricted to at least some harmonic consideration and tonal balance.
Last edited by Soundwave on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:44 pm

What is it about monosynths that they are so amazing at bass and leads?

Everyone here keeps talking about how no poly can match a mono for bass and leads, but why exactly?

I owned a voyager, and I never noticed any major difference between leads on that and any of the polys I own.

Can someone explain this to me?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Joey wrote:What is it about monosynths that they are so amazing at bass and leads?

Everyone here keeps talking about how no poly can match a mono for bass and leads, but why exactly?

I owned a voyager, and I never noticed any major difference between leads on that and any of the polys I own.

I think its the fact that most Polys are designed to sound well polyphonically leading to a more delicate sound. For example the Pro1 doesn't sound as fat as a Mini as its sound design was originally conceived to be polyphonic being a one voice Prophet 5 and on the other side of the coin a Memorymoog can often sound too much polyphonically as its basically (almost) six Minimoogs crammed under one hood with little thought to how it would actually sound if you get my meaning.
Either way if it sounds good then it sounds good but as a rule I find Polys tend to have a lighter bass end which makes chords sound more pleasant however there are exceptions either way.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Joey wrote:I owned a voyager, and I never noticed any major difference between leads on that and any of the polys I own.

you mean .. polys played in mono mode right?
:)

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:07 pm

JUGEL wrote:
otto wrote:
JUGEL wrote:well if it stacked all 4 voices ... it wouldn't be bullshit,.
I did say "switched to mono". All I'm getting at here are that there seems to be claims of some mysterious, elusive sound that only a mono can acheive and have had both I'm not sure I buy it. Obviously there aren't a lot of mono's and poly's that use the same oscillators and architecture to compare side by side but if there were I doubt we'd be having this conversation beyond the agreed upon creativity through limitations.
ok .. name as many analog synths as you can that have a proper mono mode.
I think a mono's power lies in the possibilities with monster monos such as CS-30's and MS-20's. I do think simpler monos may be over-rated in the "how much better" they are supposed to sound than polysynth dilema. This is easily smoothed over by the fact that there aren't many directly comparable mono and poly synths. So it becomes easy to claim this is a truth... which I'm not so sure I believe...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:53 am

JUGEL wrote:
Joey wrote:I owned a voyager, and I never noticed any major difference between leads on that and any of the polys I own.

you mean .. polys played in mono mode right?
:)
yeah I don't mean stacked.

I mean just mono, one note at a time.

I don't see the difference.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:54 am

I used my Microkorg as a mono when I had it (and not even in monomode)...and it was better at being a monosynth than the Yamaha CS01. It didn't sound better for the same kind of stuff...but the envelopes reacted quicker...and that is good for monosynthing. :lol:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:20 pm

otto wrote:I do think simpler monos may be over-rated in the "how much better" they are supposed to sound than polysynth dilema. This is easily smoothed over by the fact that there aren't many directly comparable mono and poly synths. So it becomes easy to claim this is a truth... which I'm not so sure I believe...
well sorry .. but it's just a matter of what's available ... meaning what actually exists.

In the end ... if you want that mono sound.. you might have to buckle-down and get a mono synth,.. if you don't care... just admit that you don't really care and move on.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:48 am

Hey Everybody,
My first post to this list!
I am a Monosynth Junkie. I started out playing a Minimoog in 1974, and still to this day can not get enough of my Monosynths.
Not only is it so much the sound, but the user interface, as the monosynth is basically a one hand/one arm instrument. And it seems just about everyone I have played has something unique that sets it apart from the others. Like the PPC pads on an Odyssey MK3, or the spring loaded pitch lever on the CS-15, the pinball flipper on the OB-1, the wheel/button combo on the MS-20, and of course the wheels on the Mini. The playing style can be quite different from other keyboard instruments when soloing with the right hand and manipulating controls with the left hand.
My favorite synth to solo with though is still my cheap $40 Casio CZ-101. It may be a 4/8 voice poly, but it can still get earth moving bass and screaming leads. I play by ear and there is something magic about that phase distortion sound, not sure why though. I has no velocity, no real mod wheel, (just an on/off) but it has a pitch wheel, I find this setup very expressive.
Small sample of one of my CZ's in action. (1meg,46 sec.)
CZ230S in action
PS: Guitar players HATE Me! :wink: