I want a Waldorf synth? which one?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mpresev

I want a Waldorf synth? which one?

Post by Mpresev » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:07 pm

Hello fellow synthboppers,

NO I don't want the Q or the other Waldorf.. I'm thinking, Micro Q, Pulse, X-Pole, Microwave?

How much are these guys market price that I can buy on Craigslist? As far as Multitimbral? I don't use it because I midi sequence and straight up record to HD. I just want something that sounds ooooohhhh ahhhh. Is PULSE better than the Micro Q? Microwave?

Mark

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:17 pm

The Pulse is a proper analogue monosynth which is still very underrated, the overdrivable filter is based on a Moog 24db LP but is much more stable. It also has very complete features for a modern mono including the four way mod matrix with full MIDI control all round. Some moan than the sound isn't as warm as a vintage (which it isn't) but it still has the analogue clout of any 20yr old mono. The Plus version has audio in on the filter and extensice CV/gate routings to link with older gear. I still miss mine. :cry:

The Micro Q is a poor mans Q but looses very little features other than its compromised interface. Still a bargain if you want a good VA tho it can be quite in depth if thats what you want.

The Microwave is a decedent of the classic PPG that uses grittly editable wavetables for waveforms. Not a synth for every sound but great for abstract pads and textures. The Mk1 version has analogue filters but isn't multi voiced.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Oh thanks.. Your the best.. I see different prices for the Pulse at 250.00, 400.00, etc. What are these suckers going for?

I am getting one.. Just don't know which one.. Ofcourse the Pulse because like you said of the sound quality.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:10 pm

Around £150+ for an original V1.02 and £200ish for V2.01 which were the later ones and have similar extra features to the Plus model which goes for £250+ in the UK. :wink:

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 pm

Soundwave wrote:The Microwave is a decedent of the classic PPG that uses grittly editable wavetables for waveforms. Not a synth for every sound but great for abstract pads and textures. The Mk1 version has analogue filters but isn't multi voiced.
Huh? The Microwave (1) is 8-note poly and 8-note multi. Don't know what you've been smoking :wink:
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:56 pm

calyx93 wrote: Don't know what you've been smoking :wink:
I bet you could take a good guess! :hippy2: I stand corrected, didn't know the mk1 was multi. :wink:

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:16 pm

questions ladies and gentlemen.

I have the ION and VIrus A as my go to synths.. Do I need the Waldorf(basically 1 more synth?) If you were me would you add another? BTW, I know the VIrus and IOn in and out. And no I'm not bored with both.

THe style is Indie ELectro(TEchno Pop) aka 808 State, Electronic.

Track2

Post by Track2 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Mpresev wrote:questions ladies and gentlemen.

I have the ION and VIrus A as my go to synths.. Do I need the Waldorf(basically 1 more synth?) If you were me would you add another? BTW, I know the VIrus and IOn in and out. And no I'm not bored with both.

I'm a Waldorf fanatic, but from what you describe I would not say that you would particularly benifit from a Waldorf- for the sort of music you describe doing, the presets would, I suggest, not be apt.

As a programmers synth Waldorf is great for weirdness but that doesnt sound like your bag.

If you want to dip your toe in the Waldorf pond I would suggest the Pulse would be best for your type of music for some great bass lines.

I love the Ion too, but I find it quite weak in the bass dept once its in a mix.
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Yes, I know about the ION basses not sounding good in the mix .. It sounds good alone because it's wide and full but I have to compress and EQ it. OH I love weirdness.. The beat I make is like 808 State but I throw anything in there and I won't discriminate weirdness. That's why I like REaktor's Carbon..

How is the arp on PULSE? and how different is my Virus A and the Pulse? sound wise?

Track2 wrote:
Mpresev wrote:questions ladies and gentlemen.

I'm a Waldorf fanatic, but from what you describe I would not say that you would particularly benifit from a Waldorf- for the sort of music you describe doing, the presets would, I suggest, not be apt.

As a programmers synth Waldorf is great for weirdness but that doesnt sound like your bag.

If you want to dip your toe in the Waldorf pond I would suggest the Pulse would be best for your type of music for some great bass lines.

I love the Ion too, but I find it quite weak in the bass dept once its in a mix.

crow

Post by crow » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:24 pm

Is yer keyboard as f**k as yer heid?? :?: f**k mair random capitals than a map o the world.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Alex Mnemonic
Gear: A dancing foetus.

Post by Alex Mnemonic » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:28 pm

You tell him, crow. Who's the face in your avatar, by the way?

And how much is a fair price for a Q rack?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:01 pm

Alex Mnemonic wrote:
And how much is a fair price for a Q rack?
£350-400 yellow £450+ for ltd edition blue.

I've found classified ad's much cheaper than the current ebay rates these days.

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:12 pm

crow wrote:Is yer keyboard as f**k as yer heid?? :?: f**k mair random capitals than a map o the world.
It took me a good part of a minute to decipher that.

But once I did, it gave me a good chuckle. Bravo, sir! You have a way with your comparisons. =D>

Gotta love the Scottish.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:17 pm

I say the yellow one looks a thousand times better than the blue one, And I'd say £400 for the rack would be quite cheap. I'm considering a yellow Q rack for around 550£, but in the end, I want to save up for a full keyboard yellow beastie :)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: I want a Waldorf synth? which one?

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:28 pm

Mpresev wrote:As far as Multitimbral? I don't use it because I midi sequence and straight up record to HD. I just want something that sounds ooooohhhh ahhhh.
in this case the Pulse is a good choice. with the stereo out and rich modulation, it can make some complex real analog mono sound.
but the XT is the one which is impressed me the most. and If I should only own one Waldorf, that would be it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums