Help me with my new setup!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rukiddnme29

Help me with my new setup!

Post by rukiddnme29 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:26 am

OK, here's the deal. I am building a new sorta compact live setup and there are 2 items left I need. Let me start with what I have now. I have a Akai AX-73 which has a nice amout of room on it for other stuff. This takes care of my real analog and sweet bass sounds. Also, I have a k2000 that takes care of all my realistic sounds and other stuff. My drum machine is a boss 770 which suits the kind of music I do which is basically straight forward synthpop/new wave, 80's stuff.

Small 37 keys or less synth- I would like to find a small synth to fit atop the ax73. What I am looking for in that is something with good analog type strings. Something close to preset 58 on a juno 60. I know the juno chorus is one of a kind but close is fine. I am not interested in the microkorg. Can't stand the mini keys. Can be analog or digital.

External sequencer- I would like to find one easy to use, does not need internal sounds (want to midi with ax73 for bass sequences or new small synth). Must be able to sync with Boss 770. Can hold more than 10 songs with multiple parts. This may not even exist.

I have a laptop that can be used as the sequencer but it's old and crappy and most likely unreliable for gigs. Should I consider a new laptop, what program would you recommend for sequencing?

That's pretty much it. If there is a small synth that would work for both needs, I'm all ears. Would the Xiosynth work for both?

I hope I've given enough info for consideration. If I left anything out, please let me know.

Thanks!

* I forgot to add that I would like to keep prices under $500. I'm poor. The cheaper the better!

crow

Post by crow » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:43 am

A K-Station or a KS4. Same engine. I have an AX73. Its a f**k monster size and you could start a f**k new country on it.

Oh and gonnae get rid of that f**k avatar? You look like a f**k Glesga Ned and I want tae burn yer shellsuit. I'm sure that goes for most o the Brits. :shock:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:50 am

get two rm1x's for sequencer....and give one to me for the great advice!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

crow

Post by crow » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:06 am

Do NOT get an RMX1 unless you want to be baw deep in s**t. Aye. great sequencer but a total c**t to work, given your criteria.
getan Electribe. half the price at least and you dont have to use the sounds. But ye'd be a fud NOT to. Unlike the RM1X which is a f**k nightmare to work with. has millions of sounds but millions are pish. YOU can reprogram them but learning C++ in Klingon is f**k easier. (And quicker) NaW BAD DRUMS THOUGH. sTILL.
f**k check oot mah caps!! I'm RAD. ....ish!! 8) 8)
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:07 am

crow wrote: Oh and gonnae get rid of that f**k avatar? You look like a f**k Glesga Ned and I want tae burn yer shellsuit. I'm sure that goes for most o the Brits. :shock:
Crow, is your avatar Boy George or actually you?
for sale/trade: EML-101

crow

Post by crow » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 am

nadafarms wrote:
crow wrote: Oh and gonnae get rid of that f**k avatar? You look like a f**k Glesga Ned and I want tae burn yer shellsuit. I'm sure that goes for most o the Brits. :shock:
It's my ex-wife actually. from the early 80's I think. The following is a picture of her in the mid 80's.

She was prettier than a f**k arse like you will ever know or be with.
We have two, nearly, grown up boys from those day. one is close to 17 the other to 16.

They would rip your f**k liver oot yer arse if they ever saw this post. Lucky for you they won't.
A big f**k lump of water between you and us does not give you protection or the right to say anything about their mother.

Not happy.
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Alesis Ion, iPad2 (running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1, iWavestation, Mellotronics M3000HD, & ThumbJam), Roland VR-09b.
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Re: Help me with my new setup!

Post by alfadawg01 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:32 am

rukiddnme29 wrote:Small 37 keys or less synth-
* I forgot to add that I would like to keep prices under $500. I'm poor. The cheaper the better!
Alesis Micron, perhaps? 37 keys that are bigger than the microKorg. There's some nice analog strings in there, plus there's stuff online to download. New ones go for about $400, eBay's got some down to $200. Small footprint.

And how about a used Roland MC50 sequencer. They're old but were good when new and would probably get along with your Boss quite well. There's a few on eBay at the moment....and they're cheap.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Help me with my new setup!

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:14 am

alfadawg01 wrote:Alesis Micron
used Roland MC50 sequencer.
+1, good suggestions.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:11 am

crow wrote:
They would rip your f**k liver oot yer arse if they ever saw this post. Lucky for you they won't.
A big f**k lump of water between you and us does not give you protection or the right to say anything about their mother.
Crow......... I love you. No homo implied.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:12 pm

Crow, where you bullied as a child ? Or were you the bully ?

And whats with the expletives every other word ? You should lay off the speed.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:45 pm

Psy_Free wrote:Crow, where you bullied as a child ? Or were you the bully ?

And whats with the expletives every other word ? You should lay off the speed.
Heh - once you can see through all the expletives, he's actually pretty endearing. Crow is an acquired taste y'know?
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:01 pm

alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Alesis Ion, iPad2 (running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1, iWavestation, Mellotronics M3000HD, & ThumbJam), Roland VR-09b.
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Post by alfadawg01 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:41 pm

calyx93 wrote:Crow is an acquired taste y'know?
So is haggis.....

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:57 pm

It would be hard for me not to want to put an evolver on top of the ax-73. I would say get a macbook and run ableton live too... :wink:

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:17 am

crow wrote:
nadafarms wrote:
It's my ex-wife actually. from the early 80's I think. The following is a picture of her in the mid 80's.

She was prettier than a f**k arse like you will ever know or be with.
We have two, nearly, grown up boys from those day. one is close to 17 the other to 16.

Not happy.
Just curious why you have a picture of your ex as your avatar? apparently ya'll get along?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again