Korg Radias for classic rock?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
goom

Korg Radias for classic rock?

Post by goom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi,
Does anyone use the Radias in a classic rock band? I've just started jamming with a band, and was wondering how the Radias is as far as organ, piano, and strings. Most of the organ parts I'll need will be of the distorted types - planning on playing some Deep Purple, Argent, Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, etc. Maybe even a Yes song or two.

I did demo the Radias for a few minutes at the local store last week and was impressed with it's sounds. There was even a Baba O Riley arpeggiator sound. Online, I've heard a Dark Side of the Moon arpeggio.Those sounds would fit the bill for the style of music we'll be playing.

I'm wondering if the Radias will also be able to cover the standard sounds though. I do have a Korg Oasys PCI, and was wondering if those sorts of sounds (piano, organ, strings) are available on the Radias.

Thanks for any help.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:54 pm

well, the floyd and who sounds you heard were more synthy like sounds, not traditional (distorted) organ sounds. i'd say you'll have to try to board out to get a feel. if someone told me they wanted classic rock organ sounds i would not recommend a synthesizer. you'd have to be able to program it well in order to get those sounds.

-geoffrey smallsynth

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 pm

I'd deffo recommend either organ + processing or vintage analog. you're not going to get the mellow sound you want with a radias I wouldn't say.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:54 am

I've owned the Radias for over 1 year, luv it but I don't think it is the synth for these organ sounds. I have a JD-990 with the Vintage exp. bd and layer in an Emu Classic Keys for the dirty/overdriven Hammond sound along with the R. The eps are very good and with the new OS v 2 you can do a lot more with the Radias. As much as I like my Radias I just don't think that it would suffice as your only bd. for the sounds that you are describing. I also put these through a Speakeasy Vintage Classic Tube Pre which can really bring out that overdriven goodness.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

goom

Post by goom » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:28 am

Thanks for the replies. I failed to mention that I'm trying to add songs to our list that have synthy parts in them (Styx, Yes, Genesis), so I was thinking the Radias be perfect for that. I was just wondering if in addition the analog sounds, if it were capable of grungy organ sounds and more.

I'm also kind of teetering on the idea of getting a used Triton with the MOSS board. I 've read about the later models having extra PCM samples and other goodies. So I kind of lean toward the Triton Extreme to get all the goodness, but the price point leaves me wondering if I should get a newer synth instead. That's where the Radias idea keeps coming back. :)

I actually have older synths that I've used before for a similiar band (JD800, Ow1fd), but I was thinking it would be nice to upgrade to something newer.

BTW, thanks again for the help. I've been out of the loop for a couple of years now. So I'm a bit lost as to what's what in the synth world.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:37 am

I wouldn't go with a radias for classic rock. I feel like the Radias is more for digital, futuristic, cutting edge sounds as supposed to the analog classics like organs and strings. Go for something truely vintage and analog on the 'bay.

goom

Post by goom » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:39 am

gd wrote: I also put these through a Speakeasy Vintage Classic Tube Pre which can really bring out that overdriven goodness.

Thanks for the tip! I never heard of the Speakeasy preamp before. Looks interesting...

goom

Post by goom » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:42 am

thestreets wrote:I wouldn't go with a radias for classic rock. I feel like the Radias is more for digital, futuristic, cutting edge sounds as supposed to the analog classics like organs and strings. Go for something truely vintage and analog on the 'bay.
Actually, I have tons of vintage analog. :) I just don't want to gig with them, as they are old, expensive, and cranky. heheh. :)

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:31 pm

Just to reiterate a bit here, you can get 'some' electric piano and organ sounds from the Radias but a traditional piano is unlikely.

Sounds like you'd do well with a Roland JV/XP/XV synth/module for those. Lot cheaper than a Radias and loads of expansion possibilities to get the sounds you're looking for including specific Rock organ board (Keyboard of the 60's & 70's expansion) plus a specific piano board and two 'Orchestral' boards for those strings you're looking for.

SRX expansions are even better for those Roland XV synth modules.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:34 pm

Yeah good point, vintage gear is a b***h to gig with. I think a triton would be good. That definatly has the bread and butter, classic sounds.

caligari

Post by caligari » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:34 am

The nord electro is badass modern gear that has draw bars like an organ and can produce excellent piano, electric piano, and organ sounds.

it is rocksteady and excellent for gigging
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,

goom

Post by goom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 am

Hi again,
I went back and played with the Radias again for a bit today. As was mentioned, it may not be the synth to go for. While at the store, I was impressed by a Korg X50 (?). I thought it was a Roland at first, but thought to myself how similiar it sounded to the Oasys PCI that I own. Then I saw the Korg label. Ha! It had a lot of the sounds I'd like to have in a keyboard, but I'm not sure how editable it is. A good thing is that it's cheap ($650 ish). I saw a Korg TR below it, but it wasn't hooked up. It looks like the TR may be more editable. I then walked over to the other wall and played a Roland Juno or something, and it had a good rock organ sound. Not sure what else it had, since it was time to go at that point.

Thanks for the Nord Electro tip. I'm not sure how I feel about buying a board that is so speciailized in one area (okay, a few areas). I did play one once and was impressed with it though. I'll keep that idea on the back burner. FWIW, I would like a Nord Modular some day, but that's getting off topic. ;)

Thanks all...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:56 am

Classic rock synths were usually Minimoogs, ARPs or oberheims, because they were the only ones loud enough to cut through a wall of guitars (so it is said). The radias imitates a normal 2VCO synth structure so it should do just fine with old rock sounds. You have to have some good organs too, which a 2 oscillator subtractive synth can do in plenty of variations.

Actually the Minimoog was feared by guitarists because they weren't the loudest on stage anymore :)

Just don't judge it by presets, which are geared towards the techno/trance type of scene. You know the structure of the synth is very much the same as vintage synths, so it can do mostly the same sounds aswell.

If you want a serious "rock synth", get the Alesis Ion instead. It's sole purpose was to imitate old analogs extremely well, and it does so in abundance. You got filter models from all the classic synths in there (they actually sound very different from eachother in a patch if you change between them when playing). It has enough polyphony for organ playing, and some GREAT hammond and rock organ sounds. It also has 3 oscillators, like the minimoog, so you can get some seriously thick sounds.

The presets are mostly geared towards minimoog and other classic sounds, instead of trance/dance sounds of the 90's. It is hands down the best at emulating vintage sounds.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:59 am

Yeah, good call on the Ion. That would be the way to go for sure.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:34 pm

+1 for the ION.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums