Korg Radias for classic rock?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:42 pm

You can get a passable but not great acoustic piano with the Radias using the comb filter. I was pretty amazed.

Check this clip out.

The programming details are here.

The real drawbacks: only 49 note keyboard (unless you use the rack version with a different controller) is a drag for either organ or piano playing, not a lot of classic rock style presets so you'll have to program your own sounds.

If you mainly need an analog-style synth with some piano and organ sounds, it will do the job. If you need the reverse, organ and piano with some synth sounds, get yourself something else.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:21 pm

If you're going to be adding Genesis and Yes type material to your set, you're going to need a good Hammond/Leslie sound, from clean and angelic to ballsy, and the Radias is not the tool for that job. You'd be wise to get something dedicated to that task such as a Roland VK8, or VK8-M (module).

Most any workstation will give you all the pianos and strings you need as well as a fair Hammond. Nord Electros are a decent choice as well, but I prefered the Leslie sim in the Roland.

The Radias is a good choice to cover a lot of lead and poly synth ground fairly well. I just bought the rack version recently and do a lot of the material you mentioned, and find it to be worthy of the job. As a matter of fact, I'm replacing the Ion I was using with the Radias, as the Radias seems to fit my needs better, and is a bit more versatile. Plus I just seem to connect better with it, and I prefer the rack version anyways.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

goom

Post by goom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 am

Wow! I appreciate all the great replies. Thanks very much...

Meatballfuton wrote:
"If you mainly need an analog-style synth with some piano and organ sounds, it will do the job. If you need the reverse, organ and piano with some synth sounds, get yourself something else.?"

I'm mainly looking for great rock organ sounds, but would like this synth to excel at piano, strings, and other standard synth sounds.

Additionally, I would like to keep my setup small. My back isn't up to the task of moving lots of gear these days. I'm thinking two synths max. For the second synth, I'd use one of the synths that I already own (which one will be dependent on the capabilities of the new synth added).

BTW, that piano patch from the Radias was impressive!

======================

Stillearning wrote:
"If you're going to be adding Genesis and Yes type material to your set, you're going to need a good Hammond/Leslie sound, from clean and angelic to ballsy, and the Radias is not the tool for that job."

I agree. I was hoping it would have been able to cover those sounds, because I like the idea of the vocoder, formant sequencing (is that what it's called?), and other functions of the Radias. Seems like a cool synth, but it's hard to tell since most of the presets were not directed at the typical rock musician.

I wonder if the Triton would allow real time tweaking of the drawbar settings on those Hammond patches? I would like to own a Hammond clone, but I need to coax as much versatility out of each synth to stay within my two synth limit.

====================

Regarding the ION suggestions, thanks. I think that would be a great synth to own, but my first priority is the organ sounds. Maybe down the road I can spring for one and be done with it!. :)

JMP, thanks for the Roland suggestion. A few years ago, I demoed a JX5080 (?) rack that really blew my doors off. Sounded great, but the price was really up there. I don't know what the other versions would cost after adding all the expansion boards though, plus I'd kind of like to get a keyboard instead of a rack. The V-Synth is interesting, but I don't know if that has any organ sounds.

Sorry for not answering everyone's reply, I have to go to sleep now. Thanks again...

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:44 am

goom wrote:I'm mainly looking for great rock organ sounds, but would like this synth to excel at piano, strings, and other standard synth sounds.
since you like Roland and prefer keys over rack, seems like this is going to be another VR-760 calls.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Have a look at an Alesis Fusion 6HD. It does lots of things well. You can have sampled and/or synthesized organs with effects or without, sampled or synthesized pianos and strings and there is a whole synth section for 'synthy' kinds of sounds. Should be able to get one for <$600, too. It's a very useful all around instrument and is a great bargain at that price.

I recorded a CD with a friend who wanted lots of organ sounds, both hammond and combo type, some piano and a bit of synth here and there. I took the Fusion and it covered everything that was required very nicely.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Yep, for vintage analog synth sounds, the ION. I've owned one for three years, no problems with it. I use it to gig while my vintage synths are safely at home. I will tell you that you will need more than one board for the sounds you want. Organ and piano, as well as Rhodes is a job for the Nord Electro.

Mike T.

goom

Post by goom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:16 am

The ION is probably a great synth, and I may buy one someday, but I don't think it has the organ sounds I'm looking for.

The Roland VR-760 looks nice, but may be over my price range. I saw an ended auction that was $1800. I'd like to spend half that, or less if possible.

The Fusion is a possibility. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Thanks all!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 am

Just saw this to day:
http://www.cme-pro.com/en/news-detail.php?news_id=56
may be this going to be a great solution.

goom

Post by goom » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:49 am

Looks interesting..

To be honest, I'm starting to lean towards getting a used Korg Triton Exteme. I really like my Oasys PCI (the organs too), so if the Extreme basically adds to that idea, I think I'd be happy with it. I wonder if the tube sounds good, or if it's just a gimmick?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:59 am

imho, the extreme plus a MOSS card would be a better choice for rock compared to the Radias. but the organ just wouldn't be as good/playable as some dedicated organ clone.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Yamaha Motifs (Motif, Motif ES, MO6/8, Motif XS) have 4 sliders (XS has eight) that can be used as organ drawbars plus a good rotary effect which can be triggered by mod wheel, aftertouch or foot switch. For organists this is a big advantage over Triton, Fantom or Fusion.

Some Motif organ examples here and here.

The Motif line also has good Rhodes, Wurlitzer, grand piano, and Mellotron presets.

A 61 key original Motif or MO6 can be found used for $6-700.
Last edited by meatballfulton on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:24 pm

I have to agree. If you must pare it down to one or two boards, a Motif is a good candidate to consider.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:16 pm

The Tritons have great Hammond and organ sounds, and if you're not happy with the factory sounds, you can easily access thousands of sounds and banks online and send to the synth via MIDI.

A friend of mine who plays in a progrock band bought the ROland VK-8 because he thought he'd need it to play hammond sounds. But it ended up never being used because he had good enough sounds on the Triton, which was his main MIDI controller anyways.
So he sold it.

goom

Post by goom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:02 am

Somebody also recommended the Motif to me today. I'll check it out, but I'm pretty much sold on the Extreme idea. Those Motif organ sounds were nice, BTW...Thanks for that.

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:42 am

X20 on the motif.