First "true" analogue synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
miket156

Post by miket156 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Quote by Jugel:

"also ... if you want to avoid repairs ... you might want to avoid Sequential ... they scare me."

Jugel, how many SCI synths have you owned? What scares you about Sequential? Early Prophet 5's had some problems, but remember, the Prophet 5 was the first microprocessor controlled synth, the first programmable polyphonic synth ever, and that was 30 years ago. Things were different back then, it was a new territory. I waited until Dave Smith dealt with the heat problems with the early Prophets and made some hardware changes to the Rev 3 before I bought one. Yeah, yeah, some players said the Rev 2 sounded fatter than the Rev 3, but even if that was true, what good is it if the synth wasn't useable for LIVE shows? I bought a P5 Rev 3.2 in 1981 and only had it worked on once, that was two years ago. I had worn out the KB bushings from playing it, and a OSC died, one light on the front panel was dead, that was it after all those years of playing that synth. I had it on the road for three years, I played it 5 or 6 nights a week. I can't even guess at how many "hours" are on that synth.

Its true that "any" synth you buy that is more than 20 years old is a c**p shoot. But if you can get your hands on a synth that doesn't have a lot of hours on it and was handled with kid gloves, it can still be a good investment. Its best if you know the owner personally, or if you can buy it locally. That way you can check it out and find out how much it was used. Try to get a return policy of say 15 days in case someone tries to sell you one with issues.

Mike T.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:49 pm

Box wrote:Thanks Automatic Gainsay. I'll have to look into the Yamaha CS-50 as well. Shipping on it would probably kill me though. :P
Yikes, that's a good point!
Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find one that is cheap enough to cover the shipping! Most people don't know what they're capable of, so it's possible!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:09 pm

Before I forget, is the CS-50 in the crazy price range like CS-80, 60, 30 or is it around $500? But if I had money falling out my a*s I'd buy a Roland Jupiter-8 or Alesis Andromeda A6. :wink:

But most likely, it looks as if the Akai AX-60 will be my best bet considering it's way cheaper than the rest of the synths mentioned in this thread so far. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 pm

Box wrote:Before I forget, is the CS-50 in the crazy price range like CS-80, 60, 30 or is it around $500? But if I had money falling out my a*s I'd buy a Roland Jupiter-8 or Alesis Andromeda A6. :wink:

But most likely, it looks as if the Akai AX-60 will be my best bet considering it's way cheaper than the rest of the synths mentioned in this thread so far. :P
Everyone thinks the CS-50 isn't good because it isn't a CS-80, which is good... because it means that people don't know what they're capable of. (that's like saying every synth sucks because it isn't an ARP 2600 or something)
As a result, prices tend to be lower for CS-50s. I haven't seen a price on one in a couple of years, but I sold mine a couple of years ago for $500, and I had purchased it for about that a year before. It was also in very good condition and had all the extra parts, so you can probably get one for cheaper.

That Akai has always looked attractive to me, too...
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:43 pm

Thanks for the help Automatic Gainsay. If I can manage to grab a CS-50 within my price range I'll do so. Now to find videos and audio samples. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:56 pm

Box wrote:Thanks for the help Automatic Gainsay. If I can manage to grab a CS-50 within my price range I'll do so. Now to find videos and audio samples. :P
I wish I had made a CS-50 video! I will at some point.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:03 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Box wrote:Thanks for the help Automatic Gainsay. If I can manage to grab a CS-50 within my price range I'll do so. Now to find videos and audio samples. :P
I'll be buying my VCO synth in a month or two. So, if you could post a video soon that'd be great. But also about the CS-50; does it have room for any user patches or do you have to write all your stuff down and re-enter everytime?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:24 am

Box wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
I'll be buying my VCO synth in a month or two. So, if you could post a video soon that'd be great. But also about the CS-50; does it have room for any user patches or do you have to write all your stuff down and re-enter everytime?
Well, in theory, you would have to write it down.
However, the more you play it, the more you begin to think in the language of the synth. This is a good thing, as it aids in creativity! Instead of thinking parametrically, you start thinking functionally and visually. It's a skill like any other musical pursuit!

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:33 am

No memory storage is a bummer. But I managed to find a video on youtube and it sounds preety cool. Idk, still feel as if the AX-60 is going to be my best option though. I had been thinking about getting Moog LP and making monthly payments on it; but price of it I could get like 4 older cheap synths like JX-3P etc...