Synths the Big 3 should release ^.^ (photoshoppers welcome!)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mr. Sound Boy King

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Maybe a little simpler than you're after, but if you snag a NANOLOOP cartridge and an old Gameboy, you can program outdoors or on the couch to your heart's content. There are MIDI attachments, etc. etc. It's fun as h**l, too...

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:03 am

zoomtheline wrote:I am bored at work at the mo! ha

poly voyager/blofeld with MPC & kaoss pad etc.............
this can do the lot! well whatever you suggest it can do (In my head! ha)

:wink:
That's pretty cool. What program did you create that with?

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Synths the Big 3 should release ^.^ (photoshoppers welco

Post by Mixolydian » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:28 am

elmosexwhistle wrote:so nothing really excites me from the big 3 at the moment..
Can't one of them just drop the analog bomb and get this party started?

DSI has the PolyEvolver hybrid and the P'08 analog. Moog owns the analog monophonic world. Boutique makers have all kinds of cool stuff. At least Alesis took a chance and released the Andromeda.

Roland: Jupiter IO (my pun, looks like 10, is the name of one of Jupiter's moons, and can also mean Input/Output.) But as the P'08 is an 8 voice, Roland will have to 1 up them anyway (or in this case, 2 up.)

Korg: PS-7700. A wonderful semi-modular polyphonic analog with an upright control face just like the PS-3300.

Yamaha: CS-802, an analog / FM hybrid. A massive polyphonic with 2 analog oscillators per voice, and 8 variable waveform FM operators per voice. Of course an on board 16 step sequencer, switchable 2/4 pole filters, and all sorts of modulation methods.

Hosni

Post by Hosni » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:56 am

Korg EMX-2 Polar prototype.
Korg EMX & ESX, Novation KS, Quasimidi 309, FR Revolution, DSI Evolver
My EMX videos

ZeeOne
Gear: Just guitars for now

Post by ZeeOne » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:02 am

I would love to see a real pro-level analog or VA from Roland, not something marketed as a beginner model.

Maybe something akin to an updated JP8000 with 61 keys?

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:48 am

Korg EX-808.

If Moog can modernize and rackmount their vintage classics it's time for Korg to do the same.
Last edited by nvbrkr on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:36 am

I'd prefer a groundbreaking masterkeyboard, one in which you can play as many things at the same time, including situations for which you'd normally require an extra pair of hands.

- 3 full 10 octaves (kinda like ye olde organs) over each other. 10, not 8, so I could also hit some of the key-changes that some sample libs have in the lower octaves.
- light/keyboard action
- smooth aftertouch
- additional lightbuttons behind or in front of each key. You could for instance use these to 'hold' a key until you strike another one.
- built-in envelopes/LFOs for controllers and actual keyboard keys as triggers for those (while normal key-on info is disabled for that key). So, I could hit key C0 to do a program change, or to trigger an envelope which changes the volume of a certain channel, etc. Because keys are velocity sensitive, the envelope may be so too.
- motorized faders and knobs (although an endless knob surrounded by position LEDs is also ok)
- built-in arpeggiators
- diatonic arpeggiators

prolly some more..

Oh, could it be a Direct-device as well? :D
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:01 am

Mixolydian wrote: That's pretty cool. What program did you create that with?
just Corel draw

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:08 am

The Yamaha AN2x pictured earlier is actually a CS1x!.

The AN2x has got to have 24 voice poly, 256 sounds, more than 60 arpeggiator patterns and possibly 2 stereo outs.

Fundamentally, it would be a double helping. Oh and NOT pink and NOT with wooden ends.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:49 pm

i_watch_stars wrote:Could someone photoshop a JP-9000???

Please? :)
I already did 2 years ago.

While digging through the old archive, i've also found two Evolvers i've made long ago.

The Black Edition

Dave Smith Edition a.k.a. The Psychedelia Edition - hint: take a better look at the panel, you might find something ;-)

Copy/paste from the old post @ Harmony Central:

"And Dave Smith edition. Comes with included geiger counter, shortwave receiver, infrared sensor, temperature meter, air pressure meter -> all of them are available as modulation sources!"

Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Post by Roberto » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:48 pm

I'm useless with P/shop but I'll describe in words what would be a pretty awesome synth.

Alesis Fusion with the linear sequencer stripped out and replaced by an MPC sequencer plus the pads. A bit more knobbage and a ribbon.

They're half way there with the MPC5000, now they just need to make a keyboard version and retain the VA/FM/PM and sampling engines of the Fusion plus it's internal HD. Looks wise, think Akai MPK49.

Essentially...

This

Plus This

Plus This

If anyone can P/shop one, it would be worth the craic ;)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:Maybe a little simpler than you're after, but if you snag a NANOLOOP cartridge and an old Gameboy, you can program outdoors or on the couch to your heart's content. There are MIDI attachments, etc. etc. It's fun as h**l, too...
Nah, we want a decent TR style interface and beefier sounds. Basically a cross between a Korg EMX-1, ESX-1, and a Kaossillator...which runs on batteries.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:20 am

I say they meld two Mac Mini's with a decent controller and make a semi-compact synth that can upload and play existing softsynths. Basically a JV type synth that you could dump Reason, anything Arturia, FM7, etc and play on a dedicated synth. Maybe throw in a universal, analog style interface and a touchscreen to assign basic parameters.
Too futurist to live.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:00 am

AstroDan wrote:I say they meld two Mac Mini's with a decent controller and make a semi-compact synth that can upload and play existing softsynths. Basically a JV type synth that you could dump Reason, anything Arturia, FM7, etc and play on a dedicated synth. Maybe throw in a universal, analog style interface and a touchscreen to assign basic parameters.
http://www.openlabs.com/products.html

Not a bad solution, if you can afford their stuff.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:32 am

hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again