Synth for weird noises and sound effects?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Synth for weird noises and sound effects?

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:08 am

Hey guys. I'm just looking for a synth that can make some CRAZY noises, sound effects, whatever. Ambient noises are cool too. I know the SH-101 can make some weird stuff, as well as the MicroKORG, but anyone got any other suggestions? It does not matter if it is analog or digital or whatever. My budget is at about $1,000 or so, but I can make slight exceptions if I wait a bit. Thanks.
Last edited by drummy on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:10 am

Waldorf XT
Nord Modular (either version)
V-Synth

The SH101 and MicroKorg are nothing compared to these guys in the 'weird noise' category
virb.com/ookpikk

drummy
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:22 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:Waldorf XT
Nord Modular (either version)
V-Synth

The SH101 and MicroKorg are nothing compared to these guys in the 'weird noise' category
Thanks. That Waldorf looks cool. Any others?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:22 am

under a grand, i second original Nord Modular expanded, or G2 engine, and Waldorf XT.

also, FS1R is great but its user interface is very limiting unless u go via sounddiver (avail for free on the web).

another option is getting a used Creamware SCOPE card for your computer, and driving their Modular III, and other great synths on it. that actually might be the most versatile all-in-one solution. as it covers the territory of several different synhesis methods. esp if u spring for third party Flexor modules or Bowen's Solaris. i love to pick this up one day, and run it from a dedicated computer - any old P4 will do.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

drummy

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:26 am

clusterchord wrote:under a grand, i second original Nord Modular expanded, or G2 engine, and Waldorf XT.

also, FS1R is great but its user interface is very limiting unless u go via sounddiver (avail for free on the web).

another option is getting a used Creamware SCOPE card for your computer, and driving their Modular III, and other great synths on it. that actually might be the most versatile all-in-one solution. as it covers the territory of several different synhesis methods. esp if u spring for third party Flexor modules or Bowen's Solaris. i love to pick this up one day, and run it from a dedicated computer - any old P4 will do.
Thanks, appreciate the reply. Keep them coming guys. I'm looking at all these and considering a few.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:28 am

For $1000 or thereabouts I'd be grabbing an Evolver Keyboard for weird sounds, but you can do it with pretty much anything. I'd be looking at something that has a lot of realtime control (ie knobs) so that your weird sounds can change over time.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:30 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:For $1000 or thereabouts I'd be grabbing an Evolver Keyboard for weird sounds, but you can do it with pretty much anything. I'd be looking at something that has a lot of realtime control (ie knobs) so that your weird sounds can change over time.
Knew I was missing something...
virb.com/ookpikk

drummy

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:36 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:For $1000 or thereabouts I'd be grabbing an Evolver Keyboard for weird sounds, but you can do it with pretty much anything. I'd be looking at something that has a lot of realtime control (ie knobs) so that your weird sounds can change over time.
Thanks. Is that the Dave Smith Evolver? I played with one before...it was pretty cool. Keep them coming!

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:44 am

Monomachine SFX-60.

It excels at fx type noises, and you can use the tape style built-in delay to do some cool ambient stuff. Three freely-assignable LFO's on each channel, tape-style delay on each channel, bit reducer, distortion on each channel, plus a ton more. FM, SID-emulation, drums, Voice-modeling synth, Superwave, etc, etc, etc...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:50 am

drummy wrote:
Thanks. Is that the Dave Smith Evolver? I played with one before...it was pretty cool. Keep them coming!
The very one.

I've done live improv/noisescape sets with just my Evolver desktop before, where my partner had a table full of synths, fx and feedback loops. I'm looking forward to getting the keyboard version cause there's pretty much a knob for each function.

There's a track on one of my myspaces that was done with just my Evo desktop, no overdubs, all live called steam power. Might not be the kind of sounds you're going for, but could be worth a listen just to see what's possible. (although I don't think I was really using it to it's limits for that track)

http://www.myspace.com/therobotsquid

Edit: Can't even remember my own myspace address. :roll:
Last edited by Stab Frenzy on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:00 am

Don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't find any music anywhere on that myspace page. :D

drummy

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 am

ThinkTanx wrote:
Don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't find any music anywhere on that myspace page. :D
Nope, I could not either. Is it difficult to program the desktop version of the Evolver? What did you control it with?

So far, the Waldorf XT looks good, as well as the Evolver Desktop model. Keep them coming!

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:27 am

drummy wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:
Nope, I could not either. Is it difficult to program the desktop version of the Evolver? What did you control it with?

So far, the Waldorf XT looks good, as well as the Evolver Desktop model. Keep them coming!
No love for the Monomachine, huh?

I really don't think you can go wrong with the XT or the Evolver. Although, if possible, I would go for the Mono Evolver Keyboard (the MEK) over the desktop.

drummy

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:31 am

ThinkTanx wrote:
drummy wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote: Don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't find any music anywhere on that myspace page. :D

No love for the Monomachine, huh?

I really don't think you can go wrong with the XT or the Evolver. Although, if possible, I would go for the Mono Evolver Keyboard (the MEK) over the desktop.
The Monomachine is also a maybe. How much does the Mono Evolver keyboard usually go for on eBay? And what is the difference between it and the Poly?

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 am

drummy wrote:[W]hat is the difference between [the MEK] and the Poly?
Three voices, a couple of octaves of keys, and several hundred dollars.

WD
Last edited by WDW on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.