Synth for weird noises and sound effects?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:31 pm

drummy wrote:How is the SH-101 compared to all these in terms of the weird sounds department?
I personally would never buy the 101 for weird sounds, because of how limited it is compared with some of the synths mentioned here. I think that, like the 303, it's something that many people want because of its prestige rather than its musical abilities.

Let me rephrase: I personally would never buy the 101.
virb.com/ookpikk

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:50 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
drummy wrote:How is the SH-101 compared to all these in terms of the weird sounds department?
I personally would never buy the 101 for weird sounds, because of how limited it is compared with some of the synths mentioned here. I think that, like the 303, it's something that many people want because of its prestige rather than its musical abilities.

Alright, thanks. Out of curiosity, what exactly is the 101 good for? Just bass?

KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:03 am

Absynth can take places you've never been before. It has AM, FM, ringmod, granular and a couple hundred eclectic WAV files that can be used as samples. You can mix and match these across 3 ocillators. Smooth filters too.

I wish they had a hardware keyboard version...
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos

drummy
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:43 am

What is better for weird noises? The MS-10 or the MS-20?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:19 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:I have never actually heard a CS-30 but have listened to a few samples of it on the internet. Its even crazier than the CS-40M but the CS-40M has a mush fatter tone and the famous ring mod effect. You also don't get the shine wave subs on the CS-30. I would say they are equally matched at effects. The CS-30 is slightly more flexible.
The CS-30 is way more flexible, probably one of the single most flexible non-patched/non-modular analogs available... Not that the CS-40M is bad. I haven't played the CS-40M but I've heard the sounds are actually fairly similar and neither self-oscilate. The CS-40M does have patch storage though and with the amount of knobs and sliders on the CS-30 you wish it had.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:42 am

drummy wrote:What is better for weird noises? The MS-10 or the MS-20?
I'd be tempted to say the MS-20 as the patching area has a lot more to it.

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Quote by drummy:

"Thanks. Unfortunately, I do not like the Micron. The sounds that came out of it did not impress me. My own opinion."

I've heard this before. The only thing I can say is, don't let the Presets be the determining factor about any synth. I have an ION, which has the same engine as the Micron, but with all the front panel controls on the ION, and the number of different filters, you can do alot with that synth.

If you depended upon presets, you would never buy an Andromeda either.

Anyway, the best recommendation was already made, A Z1. Absolutely SICK synth. If you can't get weird sounds out of that machine, you're out there farther than Frank Zappa was.

Mike T.

drummy

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:50 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
Thanks. Can anyone confirm this?

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:58 pm

drummy wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:
the fact that no one argued with it almost confirms it by itself, but the extra patching plus the addition of the second VCO makes it versatile.

but really, look at the two of them, and its obvious that you have a lot more options on the MS20 than the 10.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ms20.shtml

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ms10.shtml

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:59 pm

I can confirm this. 2 Oscillators, Ring Mod, High Pass/Low Pass filter combo, plus lots more patching options & ESP (external signal processor, not extra sensory percerption, but I think a mod exists for that too :wink: ) make it more suited for weird noises than the MS-10 (but then it's also twice as expensive).
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

drummy

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:19 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I think I will go with the MS-20, as well as maybe the Evolver later on.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:49 pm

if you can check out the Arp2600 or the Arp Oddyssey(old or the Creamware version)

check this out

Oddysey

and

Arp2600

sounds cool heh.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:54 pm

drummy wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate it. I think I will go with the MS-20, as well as maybe the Evolver later on.
So what was it that ultimately decided this for you?
virb.com/ookpikk

drummy

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:09 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
drummy wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate it. I think I will go with the MS-20, as well as maybe the Evolver later on.
So what was it that ultimately decided this for you?
I listened to some samples, watch some demos, and I was like, wow, it looks cool, sounds cool, and it's most likely going to be fun to learn on. Why not. As for the Evolver, I listened to some demos and liked how they sounded, decided to get one later so I can tweak some stuff and get weirdness.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:40 am

drummy wrote:
GeneralBigbag wrote:

Alright, thanks. Out of curiosity, what exactly is the 101 good for? Just bass?
The 101 isn't as popular as it is for no reason at all..... It does bass, yes, but also crazy stuff, bleeps and bloops and don't forget the sequencer for some nice acid-y randomness. It's my go-to synth for... well, basically everything.

Don't diss the sh-101!
Monkey business since 2007!