2500$ for Odyssey, 1100$ for Axxe

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:32 pm

im sorry, i thought it was 100% obvious to anyone reading this that the auction i posted was a total scam. dont bother bidding on it or any auction that looks like it.

by the way, as far as "reselling" goes, there's "reselling" and then theres what we do, which is carefully testing, discovering all the problems that the seller didnt mention (which almost ALWAYS happens), servicing, retesting in the same critical fashion, carefully documenting flaws and photographing, and then selling (which in itself can be involved). so, in case anyone here considers us a mere reseller, theres a LOT of work that goes into it the way we do it, so i resent being reduced to reseller status.
:)

mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Quote by OriginalJambo:

"It also depends on what model of Oddy we are talking about here - the earlier revisions are more reliable than the black and orange ones."

So, where do you get your information from? I own an Odyssey Model III (the orange and black one) since I bought it new in the early 1980's. Never had a bit of trouble with it. I've owned (and still own) a number of vintage kb's. From my own experience I can tell you that when synths first came out, they were experimental by today's standards. As newer editions came out to replace the older versions, a lot of the problems with the earlier versions were resolved and the synths became more reliable, or stayed in tune better than the previous edition.

I bought a Mini Moog in 1973. It wouldn't stay in tune to save its life. It had to be kept in a room at a constant temperature or it would drift out to the point of being unusable. I bought another one around 1978 or early 1979. What an improvement! A number of changes were made on the component level and that 2nd Mini stayed in tune much better than the earlier model.

I owned an OBX 6 voice, and later replaced it with an OBXa 8 voice. My original OBX gave me some problems and I had to bring it back to the dealer so he could solder some resisters onto one of the boards (probably the system board) to correct the problem I was having with it. When I replaced it with the OBXa, no trouble with it, ever.

I was itching to buy a Prophet 5 for several years, but a number of dealers told to to shy away from it because it was not reliable, and it heated up quite a bit. So I waited until the Rev 3 came out to get mine, in 1981. I still have that synth today. I only recently brought it into my synth tech to get it worked on. I had litterly worn the KB bushings out on it from so many years of playing. I only had to replace an OSC and one front panel light that had burned out, and that was it. It plays as good as new.

I think it STILL pays to wait until vendors work the bugs out of new synths. Less headaches, and less trips back to the dealer to complain.

Mike T.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:53 pm

miket156 wrote:So, where do you get your information from?
I apologise - I meant to say it wasn't as solidly built.
Hollow Sun wrote:For some reason, ARP switched from the tasteful black and gold facia in 1978 to a new black and orange colour scheme for all their products. Whether you like or hate this colour scheme is irrelevant - the fact is that it was a bad design!

As you can see from the Mk3 photo (right), the keyboard protruded over the edge of the casework making it very easy to break the keys especially when in transit. Also, the composition of the new slider caps was incorrectly formulated and they cracked (and fell off) with even moderate use! As a result, any Odysseys you might see now from this era will almost invariably have broken or cracked keyboards and no slider caps!

Furthermore, some bright spark at ARP thought that it would be a good idea to use what appeared to be linoleum floor covering as end-cheeks for this new Mk3 design! This flimsy material marked very easily (you could damage it with your fingernail!!) and these new models soon looked tatty even on display in music stores. The new cosmetic design may have been bold... it may have been 'modern' - futuristic even - but it was totally impractical for the average gigging musician!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:46 am

minime123 wrote:im sorry, i thought it was 100% obvious to anyone reading this that the auction i posted was a total scam. dont bother bidding on it or any auction that looks like it.

by the way, as far as "reselling" goes, there's "reselling" and then theres what we do, which is carefully testing, discovering all the problems that the seller didnt mention (which almost ALWAYS happens), servicing, retesting in the same critical fashion, carefully documenting flaws and photographing, and then selling (which in itself can be involved). so, in case anyone here considers us a mere reseller, theres a LOT of work that goes into it the way we do it, so i resent being reduced to reseller status.
:)

mini
Sorry to offend, Mini.
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who buys a synth to sell it, whether they fix it up or not, is a reseller. You can call yourself anything you want, though. : )
The people who are NOT resellers are people who buy synths to use them.
The point of the matter is that anyone who sells synths for profit should be motivated to buy a synth with a low BIN price. Of course, I didn't know that you thought it a scam.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:00 am

miket156 wrote:From my own experience I can tell you that when synths first came out, they were experimental by today's standards. As newer editions came out to replace the older versions, a lot of the problems with the earlier versions were resolved and the synths became more reliable, or stayed in tune better than the previous edition.
Undeniably true, but you also have to concede that as models progressed, the companies found cheaper ways to do the same thing, and in a lot of cases the build quality may have decreased.
I'm going to guess (without proof, however) that the earlier Odysseys had better sliders. The sliders on my Avatar and Axxe (both orange and black) were c**p.
miket156 wrote:I bought a Mini Moog in 1973. It wouldn't stay in tune to save its life. It had to be kept in a room at a constant temperature or it would drift out to the point of being unusable. I bought another one around 1978 or early 1979. What an improvement! A number of changes were made on the component level and that 2nd Mini stayed in tune much better than the earlier model.
My Mini is of the same vintage of yours, as long as it wasn't an RA Moog or Musonics Moog that you bought. I have the old oscillator boards and while my 2nd oscillator drifts a bit, it doesn't drift enough to really be a problem. Oscillators 1 and 3 may even be in tune after being shut off overnight. If your oscs were that sensitive, I'm going to say that there was something wrong with it . (unless it was an RA or Musonics... I can't speak for them)
The "improved" oscillator board featured more stable oscs, but also lost a bit of the desireable audio aspects of the previous board.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:10 am

Sorry to offend, Mini.
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who buys a synth to sell it, whether they fix it up or not, is a reseller. You can call yourself anything you want, though. : )
The people who are NOT resellers are people who buy synths to use them.
The point of the matter is that anyone who sells synths for profit should be motivated to buy a synth with a low BIN price. Of course, I didn't know that you thought it a scam.
interesting.
well then, since i buy / have bought plenty of synths to use them (for musical purposes) and not specifically for resale, then does that make me 1/2 a reseller and 1/2 NOT a reseller? :) whats interesting is that a lot of people fall into your reseller category / definition these days but are in denial.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:09 pm

minime123 wrote:interesting.
well then, since i buy / have bought plenty of synths to use them (for musical purposes) and not specifically for resale, then does that make me 1/2 a reseller and 1/2 NOT a reseller? :) whats interesting is that a lot of people fall into your reseller category / definition these days but are in denial.
No, that makes you more like me... except you sell a LOT more. :wink:
::::coyly points at your signature and vintage synth selling website with hundreds of synths in stock::::

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:coyly points at your signature and vintage synth selling website with hundreds of synths in stock::::

I click "Synths For Sale"
I see lots of synths as "SOLD".
weird.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:16 pm

minime123 wrote:whats interesting is that a lot of people fall into your reseller category / definition these days but are in denial.
!!!

you are a synth enthusiest/technician who resells, and it is understandable why you would want to differentiate yourself from the profiteering or unknowledgeable masses interested mainly in turning a profit. so, perhaps you are not a typical reseller. and you are certainly not only a reseller. but what we need is a name for those people who turn synths... like, turners or something like that. only, it will never catch on.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:29 pm

smallsynth,

turners? nah. maybe synthflipper or something like that. looking to flip it before theyve even seen it. i know of a number of people like this, and they make honest dealers look bad.

i jokingly call myself a synth pimp. but im the kind who gets it on with all my tricks before letting you johns have em. for quality control. and gettin my synth on, of course. :) speaking of which, im getting burned out with this synth hustling, and seriously looking forward to taking a decent break to make music again. hopefully soon!

mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

sloppy thirds.

Post by smallsynth » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:56 pm

i am never buying a synth from you now. ;)

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 pm

ummm, i should have pointed it out that by gettin it on, i meant in a totally non-sexual way. in case anyone else was confused by that!
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:14 pm

minime123 wrote: turners? nah. maybe synthflipper or something like that. looking to flip it before theyve even seen it. i know of a number of people like this, and they make honest dealers look bad.
For the record, I would never call you a synthflipper. :)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:16 pm

minime123 wrote:ummm, i should have pointed it out that by gettin it on, i meant in a totally non-sexual way. in case anyone else was confused by that!
Damn, it looks like you took down that YouTube video where you played a synth with your "weiner." That would have made a great response to the above quote. :wink:

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:18 pm

i took it down just before hitting submit on that last post. :) seriously though, its still up. and it inspired that barbie minimoog video. and i also inspired someone elses synth music video with my glove thing, believe it or not :) (celophan?)
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER