What mods decrease the value of a vintage synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:55 pm

I don't know if I would mod anything vintage.
I mean If it aint broke don't fix it.
If it's all messed up and beat to h**l then I wouldn't have much of a problem redoing it since you'd be sort of starting from scratch. Look at customsynth, he gets beat up synths and makes them look wonderful.

That Prophet 600 is kinda cool looking but I just don't like it in the end. Those keys look like those medium size swirly bouncy balls you get from one of those big gumball-type dispensers.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Haha, you wouldn't wanna play that P600 while drunk.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: What mods decrease the value of a vintage synth?

Post by JMP » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:26 pm

WDW wrote:Well, when you visit, I won't let you play my Electric Blue Voyager. So there. :P

WD
Ah, that's different...... allowable as it's modern. :) Just waiting for the invitation... and er, free plane ticket. :wink:

A personal taste thing, can't stand stickers or anything other than the original look on vintage stuff myself. Midi ports an exception if put in the right place. Once went for a Jup 6 until I found the slider caps had been changed for different coloured modern ones, yuk.... sure I'm not the only one to be a stickler on this kind of thing :?

Think my only exception has been the Custom Synth redo of the JX3P & PG200 combo.... both items would have to been beaten up first though. Looks very very nice in the flesh.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:31 pm

Bill Wolfer wrote:It seems as though a lot of people place more value in a vintage synth that is all original. I've seen people on various forums get ripped new holes for tinkering with classic instruments. What's your opinion?
As a bassist who has watched the vintage guitar craze for years I feel once you own the instrument, do whatever you feel like doing to it. I own a number of vintage all were modded before I bought them making them worth less in the market and therefore more affordable to me. They all play and sound great, in most cases the mods are improvements anyway.

Synths, I feel the exact same way...I'd much rather have a MIDIed vintage analog than one without as long as the mod didn't interfere with the operation. If the mod makes it worth less to collectors, good for me as a buyer.

Sure, if the mod is done so poorly that it causes problems that would be a drag. On the other hand I see people selling broken gear all the time and getting good money for them.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:35 pm

I'm personally all for functional mods and even cosmetic ones that look good - some of the Custom Synth designs especially come to mind.

I personally think that the classic Mini looks fantastic with the new wood panelling and lit wheels. It may not be fully authentic any more but if it looks better and, further more, is now unique then it's bonus points in my book.

Guess my Octave CAT is worth next to nothing just because I replaced the old and falling apart knobs with new ones just so I could successfully calibrate it? What good would an 100% original CAT be if it didn't play right? Stuff like that should be acceptable at the very least.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Sure, it'd be cool if your Mini had sync, but what does a Mini with sync sound like? I'm not sure... and that's where its a problem. A lot of these synths are sought after due to what they DO, not because of what they COULD do. When you alter a vintage synth with a trademark sound, it loses its trademark sound... and since many seek certain synths for their trademark sound, it loses value.
I appreciate what you are saying Marc, but you do realise you could just turn the sync off in this case? There ya go - classic Mini sounds abound. ;)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:39 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Synths, I feel the exact same way...I'd much rather have a MIDIed vintage analog than one without as long as the mod didn't interfere with the operation. If the mod makes it worth less to collectors, good for me as a buyer.
What an excellent point. =D>

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:05 pm

I am of the opinion that modifying a piece of equipment makes it unique and it makes it your own. Obviously, if you're a purist or intend to resell the instrument in question, the practice is anathema, but otherwise I'm all for it. I've Frankensteined the c**p out of my favorite guitar, and playing it makes me proud.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 pm

so, let me ask the "keep it stock" guys a question:

i recently modded two synthexes to send/receive pitch and mod info. the midi versions of these are only note on/off. internally, it required only a moderately complicated opamp circuit to be installed inside. externally, all that changed was that the slave unit now has two on/off toggle switches on the rear of the chassis to turn off and on the internal/external control of pitch mod. from the top, there are no visible changes whatsoever.

would you guys consider this adding to, or detracting from, the value? the only permanent change that couldnt be reversed is the 2 holes drilled in the rear panel. otherwise, i could easily change this back to stock(functionally) in 5 minutes.

ultimately, it doesnt matter, cause i cant see myself selling these for a long time. just curious.

crow

Post by crow » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:01 pm

I think the Mona Lisa would look rather lovely with a skinhead and a tattoo.
if you use emulsion you can wash it off when fashions change.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:57 pm

rjd2 wrote:so, let me ask the "keep it stock" guys a question:

i recently modded two synthexes to send/receive pitch and mod info. the midi versions of these are only note on/off. internally, it required only a moderately complicated opamp circuit to be installed inside. externally, all that changed was that the slave unit now has two on/off toggle switches on the rear of the chassis to turn off and on the internal/external control of pitch mod. from the top, there are no visible changes whatsoever.

would you guys consider this adding to, or detracting from, the value? the only permanent change that couldnt be reversed is the 2 holes drilled in the rear panel. otherwise, i could easily change this back to stock(functionally) in 5 minutes.

ultimately, it doesnt matter, cause i cant see myself selling these for a long time. just curious.
Nice touch, sounds like only a discreet cosmetic feature and must admit is something I'd like included in the midi of mine. So to answer your question, for me, this wouldn't detract the value, probably add to it. For others wanting 'pure' examples, maybe not....? As WD said, the issue will be each to their own preferences.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:38 am

Soundwave wrote:
nadafarms wrote:If you want to increase the value of your synth, you need to step it up like this: http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/Custom-Painted- ... dZViewItem
Ok the Prophet 600 was never the best looking synth
I can think of a lot worse...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:57 am

Modding a Mini? Whatever you do to your own synth to customize or enhance is taking your synth playing to the next level. I still remember reading the first issue of Keyboard magazine where Larry Fast described playing his modded Mini as " I felt like a greaser with a 396 Chevelle". Nothing like taking your modded synth out for a spin!
As far as modding the now collectable synth, I would simply suggest doing mods in such a way that they are easy to reverse. I would not drill holes in the front panel that would decrease it's value to possible future buyers. As far as a new case, just don't sell the old one as it will be worth so much more with the original intact. Just set it aside.
I personaly did not like the Synthwood Mini case. The dimensions do not look right to me. The side wood is too thick. For a few more dollars Wes Taggert makes some really nice mini cabinets, that look authentic in all kinds of wood choices.
So I have a modded Mini, and I added all kinds of mods from PWM, Sync, individual CV ins on each oscillator, and a MIDI interface. This was all done in a manner that would not be difficult to restore it back to original if ever needed. The only extra holes were drilled under the back of the aluminum case. You would need a mirror to see these if I put it back in it's old case. I have the original case, wheels, keyboard.
I went with a modular look and used solid walnut for the case. All of the extra ins/outs were done on custom panels below the Mini.
I did mod a Moog 1150 ribbon controller beyond being able to restore it. I sanded off the black anodize and polished the aluminum. Removed the faux wood inserts in the sides and installed real wood venere. And I totally ruined the stock controll panel with some custom stuff. I only paid a few dollars fot it, but I have seen these go on the bay for several hundred bucks. Oh well, my loss I guess. I think my custom 1150 is worth just as much to me though. It' one of a kind! :wink:

crow

Post by crow » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:09 am

If you drive a CZ thats as awesome as your guitar looks.
haha. :shock: :P
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:32 am

crow wrote:If you drive a CZ thats as awesome as your guitar looks.
haha. :shock: :P
Almost! I do ride with my CZ. Battery op synths go anywhere. The AZ-1 has a custom paint job! :lol:
CZ in action!

crow

Post by crow » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome.
Just sold my Triumph Daytona 959 a while back. Too fast for me now.
CZ's! hahaha. Dont have any myself, electrical or Inter Combustion driven!
had a pal who had a CZ350. f**k thing was a mobile oil slick creator. As frowned upon as CZ synths!! :shock: :roll:

Take care.
Ohh and ride safe!! :lol:
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!