What mods decrease the value of a vintage synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analog U.S.

What mods decrease the value of a vintage synth?

Post by Analog U.S. » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:35 am

Hello Bill
Being that your Minimoog is a very early model I'd leave it alone. There are not too many of these metal face units floating around and although yours is not an RA or MuSonics it's still very rare.
I can't remember the cabinet's condition when I saw it, but I do remember it being exceptionally clean. If there aren't any cracks in the walnut case you might just have someone like Wes Taggart at Analogics restore it. His woodwork is exceptionally nice and much better then some of the others I've seen on Ebay, etc. Also.. if you can get this unit to Kevin Lightner (he is fairly close to you in the Pinion Hills/Wrightwood area) have him restore it for you. There are a number of things you can have done to this Mini and keep it original. He has done a few early models for me that turned out very nice.

By the way... that Minimoog you posted in your thread is an RA unit done by Kevin some years back. It did sound amazing!

Don
ANALOG U.S.,INC.

Bill Wolfer

Post by Bill Wolfer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey Don, how's it going? You know, I think I am going to leave the Mini alone. The case isn't that bad for a 35 year old instrument.

Everybody seems to say that Kevin Lightner isn't taking any new work until 2008. Do you know of any other qualified techs in the area? The only problems it has are dirty pots, and even those are much better now after I just spent some time turning each one back and forth about 20 times.

Bill

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: What mods decrease the value of a vintage synth?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:28 pm

JMP wrote:Image
That thing is absolutely beautiful... I have always wanted one like that.
Of course, the aesthetics of the JX3P were never particularly delightful.
"Hey, it's the 80s now!! Isn't that exciting?" :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:36 pm

I actually quite like the look of the JX-3P for some reason - d'oh. Guess it grows on you over time.

It certainly has the 80s stamped all over it but so does the JX-8P which I personally think looks much worse.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:53 pm

I think that Jeff's JX-3PG is a work of art - the garish colour scheme works.

Nothing says '80's synth' more to me, than a grey plastic casing. Just what was it with electronics and grey plastic casings in the 80's?! I can't look at the likes of the Alpha Juno or the later JX synths without being reminded of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum+2...

I think there's more to this than meets the eye! :wink:
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:29 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Everyone is happy when a damaged, abused, broken, forgotten, etc. vintage synth is rennovated, and it doesn't really matter what changes are made to bring a dead synth back to life. Tardis's SH-1000 comes to mind... any saved synth is a good synth, even if changes are made to bring it back to life.
That SH-1000 was one of those open wallet,...empty wallet projects :lol: , but it was worth it, the new filter screams better than it ever did! I wish my SH-1000 was original, but it needed so much work it was impossible to retain it's originality. I don't intend on selling it though either

IMO mods are ok if they're for functional purposes. Look at the automotive world for instance, Some guy buys an old Hemi Cuda, and wants to remove the original Hemi engine to make way for a bigger, better Hemi. Most Chrysler/Dodge purists would burn him alive at the stake for doing such a thing, but then you have another group of pro-touring guys that embrace the idea.
It is indeed a matter of preference. If you paid $X.XX dollars for a synth, you can do whatever the h**l you want to it, it's yours. If you're buying the synth with plans of resale in mind, chances are you should keep it true to form. I say fuggit, you only die once, do whatever the h**l you want to your synth. If LED pitch-wheels, and MIDI give you enjoyment do it! 8)
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:54 am

I am generally pro-modding, unless you are studio electronics. IMO they completely ruin the gear they touch. Of course that's purely from an aesthetic standpoint and I care way too much about such things but oh well.

Anyone who does this to what I consider the sexiest synth ever made can rot in h**l.

CZ, your mini is saved by that fact that you patched it out and integrated it into a great modular. Good job!

rjd2, your Synthex mods would not put me off at all, If I was in the market looking for the "synthex experience" nothing you did would get in the way so it's no big deal.

Also, some synths are just begging to be modded, for example the previous owner my PS-3100 never used the third output(like you need one anyway) so he had it converted to an external input to run anything through that wonderful triple bandpass filter
8)

I bought a Jupiter-6 that was missing one end panel because I hate those aluminum panels and would want to put on proper wood ones anyway, so here's my question for all of you: Would you pay more or less for a JP-6 with walnut panels instead of the original metal ones? Just wondering if I'm screwed if I ever decide to sell it.

I also dremeled a big hole in the side of my dr-110 to add a D-connector which connects it to a breakout box with 10 tonal controls. There is no question that it adds greatly to the functionality, though I would understand if someone wanted the original sound. What do you think?
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!