Duran Duran Live Sequencer setup

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Duran Duran Live Sequencer setup

Postby Lucien » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:36 pm

I wonder what equipment Nick Rhodes is using in the Duran Duran Concert 2004 to get the numerous sequences. E.g. how does the rythm get synced and are sequences trigger based?

See pictures. I see some device over the Vsynth which appears to be connected to the Kurzweil (perhaps file storage?). He also has an Apple and some device over the Jupiter. Sound effects processor?

Full setup Picture
Right setup
Back of right setup
Lucien

Gear: Fantom X, Matrix 1000, PCP80

Postby Synthaholic » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:21 am

That thing over the V-Synth looks like an Iomega Zip or Jaz drive. If you look at the last pic you can see it's hooked up to the Kurzweil via a SCSI cable. Zip/Jaz drives provide file storage on removable disks.

If it's a K2000s, it has sampling capability, and Nick is probably using the drive to store samples.

I don't know what that is over the Jupiter. Some piece of rackmount gear, either a synth module or effects box most likely.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Postby WDW » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:58 am

The Apple laptop is probably the center of the sequencing (or the clock). The Andromeda and V-Synth both have sequencers onboard, and those can by triggered by and in sync with the computer.

Also, note that there is gear to his left as well. He could have an external clock source for syncing everything else, inclusive of the Apple. But, not knowing what is to his left, I can only provide an answer based upon what I can see in the images.

WD
WDW

Postby Joey » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:46 am

Nick has the keyboards on stage for show, everything is sequenced by his mac, I saw them at madison square garden, front row on the floor, he wasnt playing c**p, not to say it wasnt a great show however.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Lucien » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:07 am

Joey wrote:Nick has the keyboards on stage for show, everything is sequenced by his mac, I saw them at madison square garden, front row on the floor, he wasnt playing c**p, not to say it wasnt a great show however.

Yeah if you watch the 2004 concert you see him play keys that don't really correspond what you really hear... Then again it's nice it does sound exactly the same.

I read that his 'programmer' samples all sounds in the Mac and he can trigger it with a single key. But also noticed according to a Roland article he triggers sequences on the Vsynth using the D Beam.

But question remains: how is the tempo syncing with the rest of the band done?
Lucien

Postby WDW » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:31 am

The rest of the band just keeps in time with his clock.

WD
WDW

Postby Lucien » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:47 am

WDW wrote:The rest of the band just keeps in time with his clock.

WD

So that's probably the little wireless earpiece everyone has? It's probably a mic but for the drummer could be also a metronome.

Still I can see if the sequencer starts little bit late everything is out of sync. Unless every phrase is constantly (re)triggered.
Lucien

Postby WDW » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:52 am

Sync and pitch probably. Depending upon the monitor system on stage, the musicians may or may not be able to hear themselves; thus, the wireless ear-piece system.

WD
WDW

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:20 am

In-ear monitoring - no stage monitors really needed. Much clearer and better coverage.

The only one who would really need to get a "click" would be the drummer, but all would likely here the keyboard parts in their ears and also though on-stage mains.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby DGX305 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:24 am

Nick played live last night on the Johnathan Ross show on the BBC in the UK. His setup was 2 V-Synth GT, Andromeda, Kurzweil, microKorg, and his Mac laptop. He only played a few notes on the A6 and the rest was from the Mac.

Yes, the rest of the band syncs with him.
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100
DGX305

Postby DGX305 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:27 am

sorry, here's a link to the show from last night. you'll notice an M3 added to the set for the new album but played by another player in the back. Nick is quite happy at the end of this 8 minutes show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRUFeYE8Jzg
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100
DGX305

Postby Lucien » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:16 pm

Thanks for the link, haven't heard the new album yet.

This matches little bit the 2004 Wembley concert: you don't see Nick really fiddle with the Mac. So I wonder if he rather triggers the mac with something else. Or everything is started at the start of the song.

I did notice midi-in going to the vsynth but hard to tell if that's from the mac to setup presets or sequences.
Also the device on the Jupiter 8 appears to have 3 midi outputs connected (difficult to see but look bit bigger than regular sound cables).
Lucien

Postby Dano » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:27 pm

DGX305 wrote:sorry, here's a link to the show from last night. you'll notice an M3 added to the set for the new album but played by another player in the back. Nick is quite happy at the end of this 8 minutes show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRUFeYE8Jzg

Thanks for the link. My comment is a little OT but I've gotta say that when they got to Girls On Film, John Taylor did nothing to diminish his status as my favorite bass player. :headbang:
Dano

Postby Bitexion » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:00 am

Already back in the 80's Nick was relying alot on sequencers live.
On the "Sing Blue Silver" DVD there are lots of songs from various concerts in the early-mid 80's (when they were at their peak), of course featuring the Jupiter-8. But on the "Save a prayer for you" sequence he just hit the "play" button on some box on top of the jupiter (probably one of the old roland midi sequencers they made for the Junos) and it played itself while he handles chords and other things.

Earpieces are used for many things, they're usually wireless (and expensive as h**l for a whole band, I know firsthand). The drummer usually have constant clicks in his to keep the rythm on the start of songs , so a click-track has to be made beforehand. He'll want different speeds of clicks for different sections of the songs too usually.

Most commonly the other members hear their own playing in the earpiece since it can be really hard to hear yourself on a stage in front of huge marshall racks of speakers. Although it may appear strange, it actually makes a HUGE difference since the piece is inside your ear. Way better than loads of monitors stacked around the stage.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:05 am

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Duran Duran tend to use a pretty small setup onstage: two 4x12 cabs for Andy (or whomever is playing guitar that night) and one of them wasn't plugged in - all for show - and one 4x10 and one 1x15 cab for John. They appeared to use the same live sound company on the past two tours, as the front line and monitor setup were the same, though I can't recall the name of the company.

Damn! Had we been able to score a couple of gigs like that, I'd still be in business! :)

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Next

Return to General Synthesizers