Duran Duran Live Sequencer setup

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Lucien » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:28 am

So you think the Mac would send this clock signal to the wireless earpiece of the drummer? Or another device?

Somehow/someone still need to start this sequence which could be Nick.
The approach though does seem risky, if the mac malfunctions they certainly have a major issue (or just leave out the extra sequencer layers.
Lucien

Gear: Fantom X, Matrix 1000, PCP80

Postby WDW » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:47 am

I would bet that the Mac is the clock source. As for the metronome, there are multiple ways to send that to the drummer, but, in all scenarios, the Mac sets the pace.

It is possible to send different audio to the various musicians' earpieces.

There are multiple possible scenarios regarding starting the sequences. Each song could be started independently. Multiple songs may be appended. The entire set may be one.

I'd argue that using a modern Mac is far less risky than a lot of the older computers that musicians have used for the past couple decades.

As for other risks, although not likely, any one of those synths could die or hiccup on stage. It'd probably be a lot easier to carry a back up laptop that is fully configured than to carry an extra of each synth.

WD
WDW

Postby Bitexion » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 am

My previous band made a clicktrack for the drummer with cubase, converted it to a wav file which he'd start at the beginning of each song.
Of course, that was dependant on the PC not crashing or anything, but we found it significantly safer to play a wav file than open Cubase and have that huge system hog running all the time.
We had the same thing for playback synths that I couldn't possibly play all alone (lots of orchestral stuff going on).

But I assume the more pro bands will have a separate metronome unit that is programmed the way they want it, and the drummer gets his clicktrack directly from it. You can buy electronic metronomes ranging from a few hundred bucks to the thousands.

Really, the very best thing would be to not play from a clicktrack at all, because when you DO have it constantly, you depend on it too much. And if it disappears, it's like having the support wheels pulled off from a kid's bicycle and send him down a hill.

I remember seeing a documentary about a black metal band I like (Enslaved), and the drummer revealed his "travel kit" that consisted of packages of powdered soups (gotta have the soup), spare drumsticks, and his most prized possession, a big electric metronome.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby ronP » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Hmmm . . . I read the phrase "for show" a lot in this thread. Is the consensus that Nick Rhodes "lip syncs" his live performances and just stands there, ocassionally arming and disarming tracks, and pouting? Granted, there are a lot of synth layers on DD's studio albums, many of which are probably best sequenced, but nothing actually technically challenging to someone who:

a) has been playing synths for nearly 30 years.

b) ostensibly wrote, programmed, and performed the parts for the recording.

Has Nick Rhodes become "a fraud" who spends all his time with the media rather than the music? Curious . . .

:?

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100
ronP

Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Postby Lucien » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:04 pm

ronP wrote:Has Nick Rhodes become "a fraud" who spends all his time with the media rather than the music? Curious . . .

Well in a synth forum probably most would rather see quality live play (at least the major parts). I was certainly disappointed watching 'a view to a kill' and then not seeing him actually play the amazing brass stabs (which should be fun to play).
Watching Mike Lindup from Level 42 is certainly much more interesting (for keyboard players that is) and he uses the sequencer more as a fill in.

However the overall audience certainly didn't mind and probably appreciated it was completely recognizable with high quality sound. But I hope this will not become a trend nonetheless:-(.
Lucien

Postby Lucien » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:19 pm

Here's by the way a closeup picture of the left setup.
I can decipher MX-8 (and planet earth on the lower line). I'm guessing that's a midi patch bay.

Left setup closeup
Lucien

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:55 am

Lucien wrote:Here's by the way a closeup picture of the left setup.
I can decipher MX-8 (and planet earth on the lower line). I'm guessing that's a midi patch bay.

Left setup closeup

does anyone else notice that he has a document onscreen on his mac with notes about planet earth?

i wonder what it says "press play at start of song, press stop at end of song, DON'T FORGET!" :lol:

edit: also notice his jupiter 8 is off.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Lucien » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:29 am

Joey wrote:edit: also notice his jupiter 8 is off.

It's definitely turned on. He clearly plays it in Save a prayer (double pitch bend action can't be faked really).
Lucien

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:27 am

Lucien wrote:

It's definitely turned on. He clearly plays it in Save a prayer (double pitch bend action can't be faked really).

dude none of the lights are on on the synth, and yes it can be faked if he is playing a prerecorded audio track from logic on his computer.

edit: thats also a much older pic, because now he doesnt use the jupiter live, he uses two v synths.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Dano » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:23 am

I would guess that most Nick Rhodes fans, including myself, don't care whether he is a good technical keyboardist. It's more about his sophistication/style/coolness and his sense of aesthetics.
Dano

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:10 am

Dano wrote:I would guess that most Nick Rhodes fans, including myself, don't care whether he is a good technical keyboardist. It's more about his sophistication/style/coolness and his sense of aesthetics.

as a huge nick rhodes fan, I also could care less if he plays live haha.

he is the f**k man.

i was just pointing out that he doesnt play live.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Lucien » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:26 pm

Joey wrote:
Lucien wrote:

dude none of the lights are on on the synth, and yes it can be faked if he is playing a prerecorded audio track from logic on his computer.

edit: thats also a much older pic, because now he doesnt use the jupiter live, he uses two v synths.

Believe me it's turned on. You can clearly see it watching the 2004 Wembley Live DVD/HD. Second later in that same video you see the red backlight of the Jupiter turned on.
Also it's unlikely he would want to fake playing Save a prayer. It's easy to play (1 finger) and the double pitch bend is impossible to sync well with a recording (and doesn't sound perfect every time either). Just watch the video and you know what I mean.

I also noticed that the midi-bay only has outputs. That probably means that all sounds come directly from the Mac and he does use the 4 synths (mostly fill-in). He isn't playing the difficult parts so why wouldn't he play now and then...

Edit: well if he isn't using his Jupiter anymore wouldn't surprise me but I still see this setup in 2006 (search youtube save a prayer).
I wonder if the Vsynth GT analog modeling can 'faithfully' emulate the Jupiter 8 sounds. Probably close enough. But Nick is certainly picky about the sound fx since he's still using the Boss pedals on his Jupiter.
Lucien

Postby MarkM » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:21 pm

I would think a band like DD would have the whole show (lights, sound, Synths, percussion, and all) to something like Digital Performer.
MarkM

Postby Dano » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:53 pm

Edit: well if he isn't using his Jupiter anymore wouldn't surprise me but I still see this setup in 2006 (search youtube save a prayer).
I wonder if the Vsynth GT analog modeling can 'faithfully' emulate the Jupiter 8 sounds. Probably close enough. But Nick is certainly picky about the sound fx since he's still using the Boss pedals on his Jupiter.

I read somewhere that Nick had Mark Tinley sample every key of his Jupiter 8 for every patch that he wanted to use.

That's a good point about the fx: IMO, on the first two DD albums especially, the effects are a very big part of Nick's sound.
Dano

Postby Lucien » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:15 am

Dano wrote:

I read somewhere that Nick had Mark Tinley sample every key of his Jupiter 8 for every patch that he wanted to use.

That's a good point about the fx: IMO, on the first two DD albums especially, the effects are a very big part of Nick's sound.

I noticed Mark Tinley's site www.funnymachine.com/ shows RIP. He died last year?

Also here's a related article on Roland site (mentions Mark Tinley and Nick Rhodes): http://www.rolandus.com/community/rug/? ... uran_duran

I'm sure the 4 synths are live and appear not be hooked up to the Mac. The Mac probaby play back full sample tracks (which matches the article). To be fair he does play live (the easy parts) and several parts are sequenced/sampled.
Lucien

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers