Duran Duran Live Sequencer setup

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby WDW » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:12 am

Lucien wrote:I noticed Mark Tinley's site www.funnymachine.com/ shows RIP. He died last year?

Firstly, reading the blurb on his site, I assumed that that was a joke. It reads, "Good riddance you f**k freak." Not likely to be a real memorial, unless posted by an enemy.

Secondly, asuming that Wiki is accurate, you will find that "as of 2007 he is living in Hartford, Huntingdon."

WD
WDW

Postby WDW » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:14 am

http://www.myspace.com/marktinley

Last log-in yesterday.

WD
WDW

Postby ronP » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:34 pm

I just browsed the Duran Duran web site. There is a photo in the "DD Red Carpet Massacre Reheasals" post in which John Taylor is playing synth bass on a KORG Radias!

There are also a few photos of Nick standing beside his gorgeous spread of synth instruments.

Elsewhere, under Tour Rehearsals USA, there are other shots of a KORG Radias, as well as a shot of John, Roger, Simon, and Nick standing side by side and each playing, yep, a KORG Radias.

Could this be a Kraftwerkesque approach when they play the new Timbaland material live?

Last edited by ronP on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100
ronP

Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Postby Lucien » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:35 pm

WDW wrote:http://www.myspace.com/marktinley

Last log-in yesterday.

WD

I guess some strange way then to close a web site... Weird.
Lucien

Gear: Fantom X, Matrix 1000, PCP80

KORG Radias The New DD Rig Centerpiece

Postby ronP » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:37 pm

Yep, based on the DD website rehearsal photos and a few other sources, the band will perform a lot of their run on Broadway standing side by side at the head of the stage, each member using a KORG Radias.

DD go Kraftwerk?

That should be a shot in the arm for the KORG Radias!

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;

ronP

Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Postby braincandy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:08 am

Mark Tinley is still around, as he's been appearing on the Sonicstate podcasts, which I highly recommend to anyone if you're into music technology-oriented podcasts:

http://www.sonicstate.com/video/index.c ... rd=Podcast:

His Wikipedia entry also states that he's taken personal time off from the industry to raise his son, so that might be why his website is on hold.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby ronP » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Score! My friends sat me next to a single lady at their wedding reception on Saturday, and over the course of three bottles of champagne, we bonded, Duran Duran being the catalyst. Turns out she has two tickets to Thursday night's DD "Red Carpet Massacre" performance on Broadway, so that's where I'll be then. Will report my synth observations after the show, if I'm not too "engaged" . . .

:)

ronP

Postby Lucien » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:05 pm

ronP wrote:.

Score! My friends sat me next to a single lady at their wedding reception on Saturday, and over the course of three bottles of champagne, we bonded, Duran Duran being the catalyst. Turns out she has two tickets to Thursday night's DD "Red Carpet Massacre" performance on Broadway, so that's where I'll be then. Will report my synth observations after the show, if I'm not too "engaged" . . .

:)

Wow, great! Well I doubt anyone in the live audience can even see well what he's playing. It's only by dissecting the (HD)DVD one can get distracted by this:-).

Well I'm convinced until Nick tells me otherwise, he's playing all keyboards live and that full song track samples come directly from the Mac. Reason is simply because of the midi patch bay which only has 4 midi out without midi in. And it's the simplest setup.
Lucien

Gear: Fantom X, Matrix 1000, PCP80

Postby ronP » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi.

I saw Duran Duran perform the sixth show of their "Red Carpet Massacre" run on Broadway at the Barrymore Theatre last Thursday night. I lucked out, as the final three shows were forced to the much larger Roseland Ballroom on account of a labor strike.

I was in row L and about, oh, 20 feet from Mr. Nick Rhodes. My observations:

1) Nick plays live plenty. He used his Andromeda for the vintage Crumar string sounds, the dual V-Synths for rhythm synth, the Kurzweil for two-handed parts, and the microKORG for vocoding. I found it funny that Rhodes used a $500 synth to emulate what took a $100,000 Fairlight to achieve 20 years ago!

2) the ELECTRO set . . . Yes, indeed, DD have gone Kraftwerk for the 2nd part of their three-part RCM performance. Dressed in black and standing stage front in a row, the instrumentation consisted of, from left to right:

John Taylor -- KORG Radias

Roger Taylor -- ROLAND V-Pro (or ALESIS DM5) syn drums

Simon LeBon -- KORG microKorg

Nick $ Rhodes -- KORG Radias

The Radia sounded awesome live. The basslines were punchy and resonant, and the sight of the band performing standards from their back catalog in an ELECTRO format was visual and aural synth candy.

Five stars!

ronP

Postby Joey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:26 pm

thats crazy!

damn I wish i could have seen that, I was going to go with my dad but he's been out of town.

whats funny about the vocoder part, when Nick used the microkorg live, it just sat on his v synth, and the vocoder parts were on tape. on a song like
"nice" which uses the microkorg preset vocoder sound, he wasnt even doing the vocoder parts.

anyway, I got the new album, its totally electronic, which is crazy, and great.

whats everyone else think?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:16 pm

I bought my wife the new album and tix to see them in Chicago in December. She and her best friend are going - I'm staying home with the kids. Now that I hear about the "Kraftwerk" bit, though, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get myself a ticket!

I've yet to hear the new album. Maybe today.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby braincandy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm saying this as someone who was greatly inspired by Nick Rhodes' earlier work with Duran Duran as a teen--I've only heard the iTunes snippets of the new album. I'll pass.

Granted, they're only 30-second snippets, but I've bought a lot of other stuff in iTunes via 30-second snippets because they sounded interesting and I usually wound up liking what I bought. This just sounds like they're trying too hard to get airplay on the top 40 stations I never listen to anyway.

I realize bands have to move forward, but this does nothing for me, nor did Astronaut. I liked the Arcadia side project much more than anything they've done since Seven and Ragged Tiger.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:21 am

Yeah. This afternoon I spun through it and thought, "Ugh!" It just doesn't grab at first listen, that's for sure. I dunno - I'll have to listen to it again sometime, but I'm just not sure when I'm going to get around to it, you know?

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ronP » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:23 pm

The following should answer this topic ? in the most authoritative manner possible . . .

RCM Equipment
December 29th, 2007
Katy: Can you tell me what equipment Nick has on stage for their Broadway shows and also what keyboards he used in recording Red Carpet Massacre? Thanks, Alex

“I’ve been using the same live keyboard rig for several years now. Two Roland V Synths, one of which I use with an Akai Sampler for some of the vintage sounds from earlier albums. There is an Alesis Andromeda, a Kurzweil K2000, which I use predominantly for samples from our recordings and a Korg Micro synth which is only used for the vocoder. I use 4 effects pedals, 2 Boss flangers, 1 Boss Phaser and 1 simple delay pedal. I also used most of this equipment on RCM, particularly the V synth although I did use the Roland Jupiter 8 on several tracks. NR”

. . . culled from the DD website.

ronP

Postby WDW » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:11 pm

Nicely researched. Thanks for posting.

WD
WDW

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers