Do I need an Elektron Machinedrum?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Do I need an Elektron Machinedrum?

Post by mao » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm looking for a good drum machine... I know the elektron does the best out there... but is there any sonic quality difference on using this or a sw one like waldorf attack or microtonic2 ?... I like using hw far more... but there is really a lot of $$$ between a microtonic2 and the elektron machinedrum...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:16 pm

It really depends on what you are looking for sound wise. The MD is very digital sounding, but has endless amounts of tweaking for new sounds. It doesn't sound like an analog drum machine.

What type of drum sounds are you looking for? Something standard or something experimental?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:19 pm

both the waldorf attack and the microtonic software drum synths aren't as complex or quirky as the machinedrum... They're more straightforward VA in their approach.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:08 pm

no, you dont....unless you like digital sounds.... I dont regret selling mine....

the plus side of it....its very easy to use, great editing, unless your an analog tone snob it will meet all your needs....

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:00 pm

wiss wrote:no, you dont....unless you like digital sounds.... I dont regret selling mine....

the plus side of it....its very easy to use, great editing, unless your an analog tone snob it will meet all your needs....
I've come to find that I like the MD's sound better than analog machines... sure, it won't give you that huge bottom... but there's enough there to make me happy.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:25 pm

It won't ever sound like a 909, but with the proper programming it gets far enough from the less desirable properties of digital that most analog filters will take it the rest of the way. I have the Airbase, and since I got the MDUW, I don't know that I've turned it on once (although I'm not yet thinking of selling it). On the whole, it does sound a bit better run through my Sherman, but then most things do. On the whole, the MD does sound a bit better run through my Sherman, but then most things do.

I think JS has said this before, but the MD is the kind of machine that gives you so much freedom that it can be hard af first to get more than IDM sounds out of it (and a lot of people seem to stop there, admittedly, it's extremely good at that). If you're willing to put the time into it, and learn how to make the kits properly, it's unparalleled.
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
I think JS has said this before, but the MD is the kind of machine that gives you so much freedom that it can be hard af first to get more than IDM sounds out of it (and a lot of people seem to stop there, admittedly, it's extremely good at that). If you're willing to put the time into it, and learn how to make the kits properly, it's unparalleled.
I've said something close to that... but more like that I think people want an analog drum machine when they buy the MD (and are easily dissapointed by the MDs digitalness) or they want alot of preset drum sounds and get overwhlemed with the possibilities the MD offers. I had a hard time with the MD for a long time...and I have just recently got my head around it to where I can use it more comfortably. My next batch of songs uses it alot... as well as the MonoMonomachine... very digital sounding (unlike the ones on my myspace which used a SP-404, an EA-1, and Microkorg ...because I wanted to see what I could do with cheaper, easy to use gear).

Soundwave

Re: Do I need an Elektron Machinedrum?

Post by Soundwave » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:51 pm

mao wrote:I'm looking for a good drum machine... I know the elektron does the best out there... but is there any sonic quality difference on using this or a sw one like waldorf attack or microtonic2 ?... I like using hw far more... but there is really a lot of $$$ between a microtonic2 and the elektron machinedrum...
An Elektrons appeal isn’t just its sound but more the tight integration with the sequencer and the infinite possibilities with the parameter locks. There’s also many neat little touches with the editing/OS and how things are thought out in the machine which is just better than any other groovebox/drum I've tried machine by miles.

As far as sound goes you could get similar sounds from the Waldorf Attack ect but without the control and ease of use.

Sure Elektrons are very overpriced but you’re creative output will benefit 10 fold against the next best production groovebox available costing less then half the price.

I personally opted for a Monomachine which has 6 extra MIDI tracks and a Nord Modular for percussion which gives me a top sequencer and more sonic possibilities for the around same price as a Machinedrum with the sample upgrade.
Others are perfectly happy with Machinedrum and why not if it gives you the results you want whlist having fun doing it just don't expect it to cover [img]everything[/img] percussion wise.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Soundwave wrote:
As far as sound goes you could get similar sounds from the Waldorf Attack ect but without the control and ease of use.
I've never used an Attack... but, to me, the machinedrum certainly has its own sound that I don't hear in other machines.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:14 pm

Did you ever wind up getting a working M-Res, JS?
I've been running my MD through it, and it really warms up the sound, even if you have all of the odd feedbacks off and open both filters up.
It's no Sherman in terms of the tone (MD through the Sherman sounds amazing), but then it's half the price and does stereo.
virb.com/ookpikk

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Soundwave wrote: Sure Elektrons are very overpriced but you’re creative output will benefit 10 fold against the next best production groovebox available costing less then half the price.
I thought they were overpriced before I got one, but now I don't think so. I don't feel like I paid too much for what I got. It's like how people feel about their Moogs or something, there's some extra magic in the way the individual components are integrated.
I personally opted for a Monomachine which has 6 extra MIDI tracks and a Nord Modular for percussion which gives me a top sequencer and more sonic possibilities for the around same price as a Machinedrum with the sample upgrade.
Others are perfectly happy with Machinedrum and why not if it gives you the results you want whlist having fun doing it just don't expect it to cover everything percussion wise.
The MD-UW is a totally different instrument from the MD in a lot of ways. Considering that a huge part of the Elektron mentality has to do with work flow, being able to use the UW to sequence melodic material means that I'm using it in my setup in a completely different way than I'd use an MD.
virb.com/ookpikk

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:44 pm

JSRockit wrote:
wiss wrote:no, you dont....unless you like digital sounds.... I dont regret selling mine....

I've come to find that I like the MD's sound better than analog machines... sure, it won't give you that huge bottom... but there's enough there to make me happy.
its missing warmth...its cold crisp...some may perfer that...I dont...I would buy one again at the right price..I dont hate it...it just didnt fit into what I programming at the time...

rex sole

Post by rex sole » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:00 pm

"sure, it won't give you that huge bottom..."

Lies! The Machinedrum can pump out massive kicks.

Ever seen Autechre live? :)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:04 pm

rex sole wrote:"sure, it won't give you that huge bottom..."

Lies! The Machinedrum can pump out massive kicks.

Ever seen Autechre live? :)
I know it can...but it isn't that low end that analog gives ...that low end full of harmonic distortion and what not. Believe me, I love mine...but I think this is why people sell it...because it can't hit as hard as a 909. Also, in a live setting...alot of things can sound huge through a huge system. Have you listened to untitled on a system with a subwoofer? The bassdrums aren't that huge at all on that album, not much sub action on alot at least a few of the tracks...but it still sounds great.
Last edited by JSRockit on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:06 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:Did you ever wind up getting a working M-Res, JS?
I've been running my MD through it, and it really warms up the sound, even if you have all of the odd feedbacks off and open both filters up.
No, I never did bother...since I didn't think it would have a huge effect wide open. I was thinking of the EH LPB 2ube preamp for that job.