Do I need an Elektron Machinedrum?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:18 pm

Hey, looks like a fight in here...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:41 pm

tallowwaters

I have a clear idea of what the machinedrum is. But I would like to know from who loves or hate it why he loves or hate. So I can evaluate if something hurt my needs or if it fits more than using a vst. If ppl claims it sounds digital.. wel THIS IS A INTERESTING SUGGESTION... and this is only an example.

And...well... I'm 38 years old... and I think I know well what I need... but I asked about machinedrum simply because I find all the suggestions interesting. That's why forums exist... Do you prefer I go to the shop... buy the thing and then sell to you at half the price if I don't like it?

You're supposing I'm a mindless kid... well I'm supposing you're a boring 80 years old troll. Your post is offensive to me and to all other ppl that are proud to give their suggestion.

So, you have had your 5 minutes of celebrity, now please go to wikipedia and search for the word "moderator"... read everything... do not limit to images...

Toris

Post by Toris » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 pm

Do you prefer I go to the shop... buy the thing and then sell to you at half the price if I don't like it?
As long as you state your location, that's fine
Err...now what?

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Mao, no offense intended with the following suggestion. Yes, going out and buying a synth/drum machine is precisely what some people suggest, because it is precisely what they themselves do to see if an instrument is right for them. Sometimes, they buy new, which is, as you imply, a bit risky and, depending upon one's discretionary income, potentially fiscally irresponsible. However, there is also the secondhand market, where one can often procure an instrument and resell it, if unsatisfied, for the same price or thereabouts.

Of course, depending upon where one lives, he may also be able to test the instruments in a store. I certainly tinkered on an Andromeda, Little Phatty, PEK, Voyager, V-Synth many times and for hours at a time before procuring each of them. Not everyone has this option; thus, I realize that it may not be applicable in your situation.

WD

HrBak

Post by HrBak » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:02 am

Wow

I think we have at least 2 machinedrum threads per week..!!
Letters and Leaves of Grass

Check The winter leaves at:
******* www.myspace.com/vickystudio *******

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:16 am

WDW, that's is why I'm asing for info and suggestion. Where I live there's no way to put you hand on a machinedrum. You need to order it. Before buying the Andromeda I spent some days with a friend owning it. The same for the Voyager. That's a lot of $$$ you know... a blind buying it's not reccomended at all. And.. sure I'll go 2nd hand but we are still speaking about a 800 euros drum machine... that Imho is not so cheap compared to sw products.

Before buying the thing I asked for pro and cons... for a sw (microtonic-attack) comparison... is it really a dumb question ? people are still asking themself If the Andromeda is a good buy, and the right suggestion is "absolutely yes BUT be sure to have a 2007 product or you can find a some bad voice chip in the 2006 production". That's extremely useful. Let's suppose the machine drum has some annoying bugs... I would like to know about them before buying it...

Nobody can say if I'll like it or no. But owners can help me to know if it's worth the money... That's why I think that tallowwaters post is really offensive to everybody.... and he is a moderator... well... what a good one...

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:26 am

mao wrote:. Do you prefer I go to the shop... buy the thing and then sell to you at half the price if I don't like it?
Not wanting to take any sides 8-[ in the case of an Elektron you can't just walk into just any local music shop to try one out and even if you did you wouldn't even be scratching the surface unless the salesman knew what he was doing (which is very unlikely). Even tho they have a good resale value its a lot of dosh to be throwing about if you find out its not for you.

I only got mine on a good recommendation and after a thorough study of the online manual front to back and even now I'm still nowhere near pushing it to its potential but I'm very glad for that after two months. :)

In short if you like experimental percussion like IDM, Glitch, Minimal House then you wont get better than a Machinedrum tho it is deep enough to do any style you want as long as it has a kinda cold electronic edge.

If your looking for a sound source alone I'd maybe look elsewhere but for a realtime sequencer/drum module then the Elektrons have it down. :wink:

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:37 am

mao wrote:You're supposing I'm a mindless kid... well I'm supposing you're a boring 80 years old troll. Your post is offensive to me and to all other ppl that are proud to give their suggestion.
You're taking tallow way too seriously/personally. If you read through these forums you'll realise that, while we don't always agree, we still respect each other which is why others mentioned in Tallow's charicature took it in the spirit intended. :)
So, you have had your 5 minutes of celebrity, now please go to wikipedia and search for the word "moderator"... read everything... do not limit to images...
Passive aggressive much? :?
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:41 am

Ah, SoundWave's post reminds me. I should also mentioned that before I buy any piece of gear, I get a hold of the manual and read it cover to cover. This provides a good general overview of the product's features.

Further, I browse the user and support fora. If one really wants to know the worst-case scenarios of any given product, these types of fora are the place (and are much more focused than a general forum, such as VSE).

WD

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:50 am

tallowwaters wrote: wiss - something incomprehensible due to myriad spelling errors with too many of these ..................................................
oh man........you may be able to understand my rants.....if I didnt suffer from serve dyslexia.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:57 am

Spelling Test:
1. radar
2. mom
3. dad
4. bob
5. wow

Bonus: tit for tat

WD

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:07 am

Soundwave wrote: it is deep enough to do any style you want as long as it has a kinda cold electronic edge.
As I keep saying Elektron -> Analog Filter = No more coldness.
virb.com/ookpikk

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:25 am

WDW wrote:Spelling Test:
1. radar
2. mom
3. dad
4. bob
5. wow

Bonus: tit for tat

WD
you forgot the double bonus word:

racecar
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:26 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:
As I keep saying Elektron -> Analog Filter = No more coldness.
Not just any filter though...especially if you don't want it filtered...meaning not all filter effect the sound when wide open. Am I right?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:28 am

WDW wrote:Oh, and you (Tallow) should add RobotHeroes as the guy whose avatar completely sidetracks the conversation.

WD
When I hit reply I thought "Oh...damn someone has to post it." :lol:

Is everyone pissed off yet? I saw a little battle damage but I have to get ready to go see DJ Krush.

*Distraction activate*
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: