KORG Trident vs. Trident MKII

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cprescott08

KORG Trident vs. Trident MKII

Post by cprescott08 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Does anyone know what Exactly are the differences between the Trident I & the Trident MKII?
I've been researching them both and have gotten some mixed reviews.
I realize that the MKII as more memory capacity.
Though I've heard that it may also have some addtional features including something called note silence mode.
Anything else I'm missing..?
Thanks!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:51 am

they have very similar sound, but slightly different, esp in filter. mk2 has another envelope. i had mk1 and my friend has mk2, we both made some demos.

researching thru the schematics i traced the difference to the filter circuits, altough both r based on 2044 IC, circuits are substantialy different. character is hard to put in words, but we both agreed the mk1 sounds more "70s" like organic, whereas mk2 sounds more "80s", synth pop, i.e. with some sizzle and sparkle, closer to boards much in use at the time like obxa, p5 etc.. but a much smoother version of those due to SSM based circuitry. this is of course a very rough and subjective description. here are them demos, perhaps that will shed some light:

my mk1: http://www.babic.com/SYN/trident-mk1.htm

my friend Gil's mk2: http://www.babic.com/SYN/TRIDENT/Trident_MKII_Demo.mp3

i sold my mk1 and this is one board i really regret selling. Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

cprescott08

Post by cprescott08 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:36 am

Awesome sound demos! They both sound amazing..I think I prefer the mk1. That helps quite a bit as I actually have a choice to purchase either one. Maybe I'll pick them both up and sell the one I decide not to keep? Anyone interested in an MKII..what's the going rate?
Last edited by cprescott08 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:01 am

I'm interested in gettin a MKII

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:58 pm

3VCO's has both boards, I am 99.99% sure of that...

my understanding is differences with the II is

~double memory, independent envelopes for VCA and VCF, more control of the brass voices, program voice parameter

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Hey Cluster, those demos sound wonderful!

Some other differences between the mk I (ca. late '80) & mk II (late '82):

On the mk I you can't adjust a control on a memory patch, you have to go back into manual mode and set all knobs correctly. Also, the volume isn't a programmable parameter on the synth patches.

On the mk II, the volume parameter is programmable, and ability to edit programs reinstated. This is a big plus compared to the mk I.

Moreover, the save and load (program) options on the mk II are more flexible.

[source: Peter Forrest's "A-Z of analogue synthesisers"]
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Love the demo's, some sound like Vangelis. Korg really had a sound back then- its interesting to hear the similarities to the polysix and that awesome filter!
sell me your KS5!

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm

Mmmmmmmmhhhhh....I remember my Trident MkII.

I could buy it for allmost nothing. But had problems on a voice. And every 8th VCO was only half as loud as normal. And there was a strange white noise too.

So i sold it.

The enveloppes where not so fast, the board was really fat sounding, very "american" sounding. What i'm missing the most is the fabulous String Section, combined with the chorus and the famous speed variable Flanger...Simply amazing !

I have a Polysix and a Lambda (and other string machines)...but no one can achieve this sweet string sound like the Trident.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

3vcos

Post by 3vcos » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 am

Yes, I have both versions of the trident as well as a polysix. All have their own sound. I being a big korg fan, couldn't be without any one of them. Love the old korg sound...

wiss wrote:3VCO's has both boards, I am 99.99% sure of that...

my understanding is differences with the II is

~double memory, independent envelopes for VCA and VCF, more control of the brass voices, program voice parameter

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:48 pm

cprescott08 wrote:Awesome sound demos! They both sound amazing..I think I prefer the mk1.
thanks :wink: me too. especially stirng ensemble layered with PWM going thru flanger.. such richness of tone.. dont know ANY other board that can do that sound. unique.

i hope to run into one again in good shape. but in europe. no overseas shipping, its too big.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc