VSE Logo Images w/o Refresh

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

VSE Logo Images w/o Refresh

Post by Zamise » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:58 am

Hope I'm not cheating or something bad, so far it looks like these:

Last edited by Zamise on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:41 am

oh where are my other studio pics ? the one with jesus christ ? MODS!...?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:43 am

It takes a lot to make me gape, but REwire, I am gaping. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:46 am

Jexus... This is where the Admin steps in and pics and chooses which one's will go into the forum header rotation... God-like powers? Perhaps. But I can't put up all the pics I have received or will still receive. I do try to take at least one good one from each member, but too many will burden the forum and the members. I think that's why zamise made this thread, to pre-load the pics for anyone who comes into this thread... Anyway, there are more to be added, lots more...

PS: I love the cat in mome rath's pic...
Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:30 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:It takes a lot to make me gape, but REwire, I am gaping. :)
yeah, hes a real bastard.

buy his cd
http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8733
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:01 pm

I've always liked ItsMeOnly's studio. As well as being a room stuffed with gear, I think a studio should have a relaxing environment. Unfortunately I'm an "herbicidal maniac" so no plants at Rusty Insects :(

Its interesting to see how everybody's layout choices and compromises differ.

Its also interesting to see who's using $100 monitors to listen to their $20,000 synth :shock: ;)
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:14 am

So it appears the most popular synths on VSE are:

MS-20
Phatty
Minimoog
Andy
PS-3100

Did I miss any?(needs at least 3 shown to make the list.)
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:23 pm

carbon111 wrote:Its also interesting to see who's using $100 monitors to listen to their $20,000 synth :shock: ;)
haha true, a very common syndrom i see..
neandrewthal wrote:So it appears the most popular synths on VSE are:

MS-20
Phatty
Minimoog
Andy
PS-3100

Did I miss any?(needs at least 3 shown to make the list.)
well, judging by hse pic only yes, however, last yr we made a list with a huge number of vse members posting gearlists, and suprisngly or not.. Waldorf XT came out on top, followed by juno 106, DX etc tho this might have changed a bit since.

does anyone remember the name of that link ?

i can't find it. iirc smallsynth had something to do with aquiring data..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:41 pm

clusterchord wrote:
carbon111 wrote:Its also interesting to see who's using $100 monitors to listen to their $20,000 synth :shock: ;)
I see two out of all of those that appear not to have proper monitors. Perhaps there are proper monitors but not in the frame.

Is our synth-snobbery not enough?

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 pm

sizzlemeister wrote:
clusterchord wrote:
I see two out of all of those that appear not to have proper monitors. Perhaps there are proper monitors but not in the frame.

I think the problem is that many people don't consider KRK rockits or Behringer Truths to be proper monitors... I personally am the first to admit I've been monitoring on headphones (pretty decent ones, but still headphones) as I can't afford a pair of KRK Rockit 5s just yet... I might get them for Xmas.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:21 pm

sizzlemeister wrote: I see two out of all of those that appear not to have proper monitors. Perhaps there are proper monitors but not in the frame.

You've misunderstood me.

My point was that you've got a synth worth, say, 20 grand (so you've obviously got the $$$) but you won't spend a couple grand so you can actually hear what it sounds like.

The expensive-synth/cheap-monitor says to me people care more about the fetish than the sound. I've noticed this trend over and over on gear threads.

I've rarely heard a cheap set of monitors that sound flat, revealing or any good at all when compared to even the lowest-priced "pro" monitors available around a grand. You don't even need highly trained ears to hear the difference.

Thats not snobbery at all, its just saddening. :(
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:49 pm

carbon111 wrote:
sizzlemeister wrote: I see two out of all of those that appear not to have proper monitors. Perhaps there are proper monitors but not in the frame.

You've misunderstood me.

My point was that you've got a synth worth, say, 20 grand (so you've obviously got the $$$) but you won't spend a couple grand so you can actually hear what it sounds like.

The expensive-synth/cheap-monitor says to me people care more about the fetish than the sound. I've noticed this trend over and over on gear threads.

I've rarely heard a cheap set of monitors that sound flat, revealing or any good at all when compared to even the lowest-priced "pro" monitors available around a grand. You don't even need highly trained ears to hear the difference.

Thats not snobbery at all, its just saddening. :(
I haven't misunderstood.

It's no different than saying a Jupiter 8 is the better instrument than the Juno 106. Or why would a person fill their rooms with a dozen "cheap" synths when for the same price they can get a couple of "premium" synths?

And what's the difference between someone with "cheap" monitors and synths pumping out the tunes, gigging and doing demonstrable things with their equipment and someone who has a room with $30k plus worth of c**p who doesn't do anything with it but complain that it doesn't cover enough areas?

Whatever works is all. I much prefer the practical/pragmatic to anything else - which means if it's "cheap" monitors and Behringer mixers then so be it as long as the craft is being practiced with heart and soul.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:59 pm

This is studio p**n t its best. I jst see myself there in each studio and think about what I'd come up with. Thz Studio... nice. I even like the close ups of one piece it's like...artwork in a way.

Jexus looks like an archive or storage closet.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

gs

Post by gs » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:26 pm

carbon111 wrote:My point was that you've got a synth worth, say, 20 grand (so you've obviously got the $$$) but you won't spend a couple grand so you can actually hear what it sounds like.

The expensive-synth/cheap-monitor says to me people care more about the fetish than the sound.
Combine that nugget of disturbing truth with all the close-up "knobby profile" pics of individual synths, and you really do get the picture. It's not like I don't have any knobby/slider-laden synths myself, but somehow I just prefer to spend more of my time playing them. Go figure. :dontknow:
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:32 pm

sizzlemeister wrote:Is our synth-snobbery not enough?
Yeah, actually it's (more than) enough, but methinks you'd get a bit more joy out of proper listening equipment. No sense buying a Mini for the low end only to have none of it because you're using iPod earbuds, right?

edit: Zamise, I think it'd be a good idea to re-host those pictures on an image host or something, unless the VSE bandwidth suddenly got a second wind.

edit2: whoops, when I refreshed I got a could not connect.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.