VSE Logo Images w/o Refresh

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:06 am

Synth synth synthy synth!

I like all of your synths! Everyone has nice synths!

I think it's interesting how many of us have big horrible analog nightmares, and nice crisp digital recording systems to record them with. Ha ha!

Regarding monitors:
What are they for?
1. To portray what is actually happening in your mix
or
2. To portray what your audience is going to hear?

Look, I'd love to have a monitor setup that would accurately portray every frequency present in what I do... however... I think that sort of arrangement is far more expensive than I can afford, no matter what synths I have. It is far LESS expensive and troublesome, etc. just to listen to listen to each mix in a number of places and be happy with the average.
Let's face it some of us are analog synth nuts, and some of us are some other kind of nuts, and some of us are fidelity nuts. Some of us are not going to understand the motives and aesthetic of some of the other of us because we come from different tribes.
I personally understand the desire to have amazing monitors, and to have high-fidelity sound... but as an analog nut, quality of sound is more important to me than purity of sound. I would much rather record my ARP 2600 through its speakers with the hissy reverb all the way up for that QUALITY of sound than I would like to have it disassembled, re-opamped, and recorded into some extremely high-end system, for the purity, etc.
At the end of the day, listeners are going to like the music or not. They probably won't know if the mix was generated with an excellent, expensive, high-end monitoring system... just like they won't be able to tell whether the synth is a Mini or a Yamaha PSS-etc.
:)
We obsess over the details because these are the things we love.

Did that mention enough synths so as not to be OT? I don't want to fuel anyone's fire, I was just hoping to bridge some gaps! :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:47 am

Yoozer wrote:
edit: Zamise, I think it'd be a good idea to re-host those pictures on an image host or something, unless the VSE bandwidth suddenly got a second wind.
Hey Yoozer, sounds like a good idea, but my thoughts was to conserve bandwidth by putting them all in one spot so we don't have to refresh 100 times to see them all. If its actually taking more bandwidth, it is getting quite long, I don't know. If it becomes bad news I can edit it down to a link somewhere if Admin Okays someone else to host the page or something like that, and Mods can always edit too if its a problem. I've been using a editor called UltraEdit to do colum/verticle cut-n-pasting of VSF's source code and tags if it helps anyone else out who may want to grab the .jpgs and put them in bbc or html code for posting elsewhere.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:50 pm

neandrewthal wrote:So it appears the most popular synths on VSE are:

MS-20
Phatty
Minimoog
Andy
PS-3100

Did I miss any?(needs at least 3 shown to make the list.)
Korg ESX1 counted 3
Yamaha AN1X counted 3

*Some pics may have been added since your post
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:59 pm

sizzlemeister wrote:How many hits did these babies help mix?
From the House Of Shitty Analogies and Arguments, a wholly owned subsidiary of Plato's Ideal LLC and New Line Cinema who brought you classic blockbusters like "A Minimoog isn't Plastic like Software", "All Music Was Better In The 70's" and its successful sequel "All Music Was Better In The 80's", we present you the following:

"It's like having 2 awesomely hot chicks which are ready to jump in the bed with you for 4 hours of gymnastics. They however insist that you wear a condom, and despite their hotness, you cobble something together with staplers, scraps of leather, gaffa tape, balloons and sheep skin. Sure you can thrust with all your enthusiasm, but good lord, what a waste!"
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:14 am

i cannot find 'orbital decay' member in the list
who is it ?

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Jexus wrote:i cannot find 'orbital decay' member in the list
who is it ?
Sorry for the confusion, that would be me. My band is Orbital Decay, a spacemusic project in the Philly area. Tough to tell what is in the fisheye photo I posted of the current studio setup, since it is a small pic. Here is a larger one.
Circling around there is a Oberheim two-voice, on top of a CS-15, and an OB-1 on the bottom. Submixer and SEM between the next rack with a Rogue on top of a Prodigy with a Pro-one underneath. Across the room starts the live setup I pull out from time to time. On top is an Arp Odyssey, an MS-20 and Indigo 2, below is an Atari STE. Next is a Voyager on top of a NED Synclacier 2. The computer for the Sync2 and a PC sitts below. Next a PS-3100 on top of the main mixer and FX units. Next is the desk with Event Tria monitors, (Proper?) And far in the corner is a large modular system including Roland 100M, Minimoog/modular with MOTM and a sequencer rack with 2 Dotcom 960's. Plus a bit of other stuff! Sometimes there are jams where we just circle the room going from synth to synth. Lots of room to experement. :wink:

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:15 am

That is pure gear sweetness, CZ!
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:34 am

CZ, Just curious. How reliable is that Synclavier unit?
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:19 am

justin_havu wrote:CZ, Just curious. How reliable is that Synclavier unit?
Well,so far it has been great! (Knock on the mahogany wood!) I did a little work to it when I first found the unit. This one is the Tony Banks model, 16 voice FM/additive, plays resynthesis disks, but without the mono sampler option, can't roll my own. :( I believe the original sampler option was not that reliable. My system boots off a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There is a large shoe-box containing the ABLE CPU. I found a few Shugart 410 floppy drives on the bay for around $20.00 each, this would be the most vulnerable part in the system to fail.
I have played out live several concerts this year with the Sync 2, so it has not let me down once. Probably the most head turning piece of gear I own. Well seasoned gear-heads give that a double take when I bring it out. Here it is out live the past April at the Stars End 30th Anniversary Spacemusic Festival. Along with some other vintage gear: a Two-voice and an MS-20. No use having these if I can't play them out! :wink: