Looking for good keys, different sounds, around US$5-600

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Looking for good keys, different sounds, around US$5-600

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:27 pm

So we've got $2000 from the last few shows we've played and are gonna get a monomachine. Ideally we'd get a keyboard (my bandmate is pretty keen on one) but seeing as they're pretty rare and would be a bit of a pain getting a case to fit (we're touring Europe next year) I'm thinking it could be better to get the module and spend the difference on a nice little synth to control it.

Keyboard feel is pretty important, velocity is a must and aftertouch highly preferable. 3 or 4 octaves so it's pretty portable. Bonus points if there's room on it to sit the monomachine. We're not looking for something vintage cause reliability is a priority too.

We already have:
Juno 6
Micron
Microkorg
V-Synth
Yamaha YC-25D organ
Evolver
Poly-800
and some others so no need to suggest them.

Extra bonus points if it runs on a universal power supply so we won't have to stress on tour.

So this is what I've thought of so far:
Nord Lead 1 or 2 (never used one, don't know much about them)
Xiosynth (maybe too small?)
X-Station (my ex had one, not really a fan)
SH-201 (already got the VA engine in the V-Synth)
R3 (had a play with one in Brisbane, we both quite liked it)
microX (only 2 octaves, but rompler sounds could be good)

What have I missed? Anyone got any advice based on what you've used?

Thanks in advance!

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:14 pm

Hmmmm... a Prophecy?

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:43 pm

Novation KS4? A nice 4-octave keybed, velocity and very usable aftertouch. As a synth, you have three oscs and it's a pleasure to program. It also has some digital sampled waveforms for the likes of EPs, organs etc in addition to the traditional waveforms.

I used to perch a Korg 05R/W on my KS5, I don't know whether there'd be room for a Monomachine though. I suppose you could use velcro pads to secure it.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:11 am

Entropy Farmer wrote:Hmmmm... a Prophecy?
ditto.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:23 am

I second the Prophecy- also agree w/ the KS4, stay away from the ziosynthif the keys are important, felt awful and feels real cheap- half the keys were busted on the very new display I tried out whenever it came out- the 49 key one looks interesting if they improved the keyboard.

Here's one- why not get a Hohner Pianet T while they are still affordable- they sound great and have LOTS of room on top- I fit 2-3 pedals and sometimes the murf on it as well as my interface and melodica when i play out sometimes.
I know its not a synth but its really expressive and has a nice feel- you can feel the reeds vibrating in yer fingertips. Oh yeah it does'nt need an adapter/transformer as well- just plug it into an amp and play! :P
sell me your KS5!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:50 am

brian.only wrote:Here's one- why not get a Hohner Pianet T while they are still affordable- they sound great and have LOTS of room on top- I fit 2-3 pedals and sometimes the murf on it as well as my interface and melodica when i play out sometimes.
Because we want something small and light to use as a midi controller? :P

The Prophecy looks like a good option, velocity, aftertouch and pretty small. They seem to go for around $350 on ebay too, how come they don't seem to get mentioned much round here? I'll have to see if I can find one to have a play with. Pity it's so ugly, but at least that should keep the price down.

KS4 could be good but it's getting a bit on the big side. I'm not really a big fan of the Novation sound but if we found one cheap enough I'd probably consider it.

I'd love to hear any more suggestions if anyone's got any, these are good.