OMD, DVD

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:45 am

Robonaut wrote:I guess I'm in the minority, but I love all of OMD's output until Universal (Liberator was a bit borderline, though).

Even albums like Crush which have the (apparently) much reviled "So In Love" also had tracks like the very eerie and experimental "The Lights Are Going Out".

It'd be hard for me to pick a favorite album, but, if I had to, it would probably be either their debut or Junk Culture (I love that awesome synth choir sound that's all over that album--anyone happen to know what synth/sampler they used for that?).
Junk Culture was the first OMD album to feature the Fairlight CMI II. They also used an Emulator I on that album (as well as on the earlier Dazzle Ships) so I'm pretty sure either of those is responsible for the choir sounds you're referring to.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:44 am

Eh ... I loved my MicroPreset! I honestly wish I still had it. No, it wasn't a great synth, but I had loads of fun with it and there were some great sounds to be had, if you ran it through some FX and a thumping amp.

But I guess you had to be there! :)

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:22 am

Dazzle Ships= stellar. check out there recent live performances on youtube, live synth performance- something almost no one does right, they nail it perfectly!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:30 pm

JMP wrote:All the synths in the world and they're still playing that Micro Preset.
haha that's awesome. i guess they found "their perfect instrument" and stuck with it.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Jack Spider wrote:Close, but OMD are actually from 'over the water' (the river Mersey) in the Wirral, which isn't part of Liverpool (my home town). :wink: A Flock of Seagulls are from Liverpool though.

Synths and geography - is there anything VSE can't do?!

so why do they claim that they are from Liverpool? Marketing reasons maybe.

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:02 pm

I am also from The Wirral,like Andy and Paul & co.-in fact Andy and I had the same electronics music teacher,Greg Williams at the local art school,though Andy was a few years before me alas.
When the majority of people ask where I come from originally I often find that "Wirral" or "Birkenhead" is met with a blank look-mention Liverpool however and its a different story,so I guess it gives people a reference point.
"Dazzle Ships" is my personal favourite of their albums.Saw them many times live and they were great.I will get this new DVD soon I should think.The snippets on their website are very intriguing.
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:22 pm

Here are some cool vintage pics of OMD on stage, from the years 1983-1986 (from Dazzle ships to Crush)

Enjoy :-)

ImageImage
Martin Cooper (?) behind SH-2, SH-09 and Emulator, april 1983.________________________Paul Humphreys with Korg Micro Preset, Emulator and Farlight II, circa fall 1984.

ImageImage
Another shot of Paul from the same gig as the second photo above, fall '84___Graham Weir with Micro preset and (new) Emulator II, 1985.

OMD warms up at the Oakland Coliseum, Dec 1985. Paul checks his
Emulator II; a Korg Micro Preset waits its turn atop the Emulator.

Martin Cooper behind his Jup-8 and Emulator II, OMD at the Oakland Coliseum, Dec 1985.
Last edited by Micke on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:33 pm

Great pics Micke!
The gentleman in the black woollen hat behind the Emulator II is actually Graham Weir,who played with the band around that time.
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:24 pm

Ahh I see, I thought I didn't recognize the guy...sorry for the blunder.

I changed the photo caption

Micke

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:55 am

Before sending $50 for the DVD, can you help me here please.

I'm in the US, so will the Pal Region 2 work here? My DVD player is the Sony PS3 console.
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:07 pm

I doubt it. Sony is/was one of the movers 'n' shakers in the regional movement, so I can't imagine one of their machines would be multi-regional.

That said, your best bet for a multi-regional machine in the States is to pick up a cheap, off-brand DVD player. I have two (one a portable) that I spent less than $50 for and both are switchable to play any region. Makes them great for playing into my recorder, so I can burn them region-free!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:06 pm

No. For example, if you run a Korg MS2000, Korg DW8000, Roland JX3P, VirusB, Roland SH-32, CZ-101, OSCar, Novation Drumstation, Novation A Station, Proteus 2000, Kawai K4, TX81Z, Yamaha MU90, or Casio VZ-8 through the same setup, they'd sound like s**t. :lol:

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:I doubt it. Sony is/was one of the movers 'n' shakers in the regional movement, so I can't imagine one of their machines would be multi-regional.

That said, your best bet for a multi-regional machine in the States is to pick up a cheap, off-brand DVD player. I have two (one a portable) that I spent less than $50 for and both are switchable to play any region. Makes them great for playing into my recorder, so I can burn them region-free!

Woof! - Scott
would it play on my HP laptop dvd player?
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:56 pm

I don't know. It will on mine, but I set mine up that way (no regions). Still, there are ocassions when I cannot get something to play on the laptop that I can get to play on one of the cheap players - I'm not sure why that is!

My thought? Get it and see. If if doesn't work, there are services available to copy it for you and then you can re-sell the original. Yeah, I know, but it's probably the only way you're going to get to see it. Sucks, but the region-thing was just another way to discourage bootlegging. Which led to more bootlegging. Sheesh!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:23 pm

After thinking about my last post, I am a bit concerned that some might think I am advocating bootlegging.

I must state that I am most definitely NOT.

What I am suggesting is that you buy a copy for yourself, make a player copy and then you can decide what to do with the original. I have several DVDs (and a couple of VHS tapes) that are not NTSC or region 1, so I made playable copies of them for me to watch. I tend to keep the originals, just to have them and the accompanying materials.

I'd like this OMD DVD, but I can't really justify it at the moment. I'll put it on the Chistmas list and see what happens from there. My wife is a fan, so I would think she'll be online soon after I say something And if I don't get it ... well ... there's always the day after! :D

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!