Minimoog, Voyager or Little Phatty ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
amni

Minimoog, Voyager or Little Phatty ?

Post by amni » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:05 am

I use to own an ARP Odyssey the black and gold version, I assume it had the moog filter as it had a HUGE botom end, I am keen to get a minimoog,,,, Having never owned or played a Minimoog is it huge in the bottom end more so than the Voyager and LP?
Serge Modular, Synthi AKS, Andromeda A6, (Plan B,Livewire,CGS,Doepfer) Eurorack Modular, x0xb0x,TR606,Machinedrum,MS20

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:22 pm

minimoog~ overated and pointless to own. repairs repairs and upkeep

voyager~ bland where the f**k are the drifts its too clean sounding

little phatty~ cheap for what I am getting, interface is c**p....but its sounds great, sounds better than the voyager.

these are the most common comments out of the 2,098 other post about this same question....oh yeah moog=good bass

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 pm

Minimoog -- Big Bottomed Beast. Well-earned reputation.

Voyager -- A lovely modern-day relative of the Minimoog but lacking as much bottom end as its predecessor. However, that is not to say that the bottom end is lacking. And with loads of knobs and more modulation possibilities than the Mini.

LP -- Aptly named, because it has a fat bottom end. Again, not quite as fat as the Mini but plenty fat. Despite having a spartan interface, the layout is logical and easy to use, and parameters can be quickly switched to be used for real-time tweaking.

WD

P.S. I've played quite a few Minis, and I currently own both a Voyager and LP, both of which I use for deep bass sounds.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Whoa - calling the Voyager "bland" sure is a bold statement. :-k

The LP has a very respectable bottom-end...certainly in the same league as the Mini I'd imagine.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Minimoog, Voyager or Little Phatty ?

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 pm

amni wrote: Having never owned or played a Minimoog is it huge in the bottom end more so than the Voyager and LP?
I doubt the bass difference in a decent studio will amount to much of anything with all the tools available today for EQ and such. Often times you have to "cut" the old Mini and scale it back in a mix... so the "fatness" it offers is really only an advantage during live performance, but not much over the other two if at all, really.
1st you have to decide what your priorities are.

The old early 70's Moog oscillators are reputed to be the "fattest sounding" oscillators across the board. Why this is so is a matter of engineering voodoo, which very few of us are qualified to explain, let alone understand.
Thus the Minimoog is often referred to as "best for bass" or "THE monosynth" by it's owners and fans alike. I think it's reputation is in part because there just wasn't anything else at the time that could do what it did in a small package, consequently it was used on oodles of records and has been celebrated.

The new Moogs are far more flexible than the old. The character is still there, just more well-behaved and stable than the vintage Minimoog. The LP comes a bit closer to the old Mini tone thanks to a built-in variable filter overload circuit. The old Mini's "brash" character can be dialed in to an extent.
The Voyager requires patching the output back into the input to get similar Mini-like "brash character"; not as flexible. But the Voyager's dual filters and modulation options go far beyond both of the other two's.

The Voyager doesn't duplicate the old Mini's tone so much as expand what is possible using modern technology. The original Mini while sounding great was prone to going out of tune (especially outside of the studio), had zero memory or MIDI, was about 3x more expensive (remember inflation) and is not available with a warranty.

fwiw i have an LP and love it to no end....and I have used Minis and Voyagers a several times before at friends'/jamming, in studios etc

PS - that's quite the nice kitlist you have there. a Moog should round it out rather well.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:19 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Whoa - calling the Voyager "bland" sure is a bold statement. :-k
I am no way saying thats its bland.....I was just throwing out common bashes towards its by people who have never played one in comparision to the mini from one youtube video they saw.

Doc Tonewheel
Gear: Lots

Post by Doc Tonewheel » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:36 pm

I had a Voyager, sold it and replaced it with a LP. I personally prefer the LP's tone to that of the Voyager. It just sounds more like the older Moogs to me. One thing to remember is that the difference between 2 Minimoogs is far greater than the difference between 2 Voyagers or 2 LPs made today. Blame it on older electronics, but 2 Minimoogs side by side can sound noticeably different from each other (just like 2 Hammonds). It's all a matter of personal preferences and needs.

If I need extensive modulation, I look to my A6 or Reaktor.
1975 Hammond A105/122RV, Yamaha N2 AvantGrand, Hohner Clavinet D6, vintage Moog Minimoog Model D, Yamaha CS-60, Korg Mono/Poly

crow

Post by crow » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:23 am

Big Bottomed Beast.

That, I'm still Jenny from the Block burd.
What a f**k huge ringpiece she has.
Must have its own gravity system.

Oh and what a f**k twat for singing the words tae yon piece of audio pishflap.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:15 am

wiss wrote:I am no way saying thats its bland.....I was just throwing out common bashes towards its by people who have never played one in comparision to the mini from one youtube video they saw.
Oh, that makes much more sense then. :thumbup:

You're right - there seems to be a h**l of a lot of Voyager bashing going when people start comparing it to the Mini. :?

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:13 am

I've had no experience with a Minimoog D. I do own the Phatty and Voyager. Each has it's own character. The Phatty is definitely more aggressive. Rather than call it bland, I would describe the Voyager's sound as smooth. For what I do, it is my favorite synth. It's a true joy to play, and is like a high-end manual transmission sportscar. The fact that Moog is always improving and updating their OS is a plus over the MiniD. The features for both seem to evolve with each update. The Phatty is a great feisty little synth. It's easy to tweak on the fly, and that makes it a great live performance synth. It's simple, and yet with those CV ins it can become a lot more complex if you were to add the MF CP251 and/or some other MF pedals.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:12 am

I've owned both a minimoog and voyager, and have played a LP. I would take the minimoog hands down over any of the others.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:09 pm

I think a lot depends on what kind of music you are going to use it for.

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:24 pm

For bass, Id take the Phatty, plus a couple select Foogers like the bass MurF and the CP251, over the V (too $$) or MM (too high mtce) any day of the week. LP is a modern, bass-churnin thumpin and pumping little fat-assed beast! :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:25 am

I have the Mini D and tried both the LP & Voyager...and Id get the Minimoog D. like hfinn.

The voyager sound god but a bit to polished, and it doesnt feel like the mini when it comes to the interface. The LP is nice but it playes in a different division.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:37 am

They're all good, just get the one that you think looks cooler.