Alesis Fusion-What's the deal?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
NDaddy

Alesis Fusion-What's the deal?

Post by NDaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:49 am

Been hearing some mixed things about this board and was just wondering what the word on the street is. I'm looking for a kind of back-up board to a have available fot a 2nd rig and the price of the fusion is tempting. Also looking at thenew Motif(basic one with just the sounds) or even contemplatiing the Muse receptor, although I prefer boards for live as oppossed to modules. Any feedback much appreciated.
B tru 2 U!

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:08 pm

As a synth/sampler/keyboard, it's amazing. I didn't particularly like the sequencer, but I've found hardware sequencers in general to be a pain, so YMMV.

It has a huge hard drive for loading your own samples into, though you should note that there is a tiny bit of loading time when you select these patches as it has to load the samples into RAM from the HD... It's not that big of a deal unless you're using large multisampled pianos or whatever, and even then it just takes a second or two.

The Fusion has absolutely amazing modulation possibilities... I especially love the FM synthesis algorithm... Probably one of the best FM synths in the hardware realm... I don't know of any others that have so many LFOs and such flexible mod routings... And rather than fixed algorithms, you route each operator to the output and other operators (including itself) in a very easy to use (relative to other FM synths... FM is never quite "easy" I'm afraid, as it is a somewhat complex form of synthesis) matrix setup.

It's not really knob laden enough to compete with straight up VAs for quickly making sounds, but the VA synthesis is far from useless as well... Only one filter per voice, unfortunately, but it has quite a few modes including one modeled after the ARP 2600 filter... And the absurd amount of LFOs and Envelopes certainly allows things to get crazy.

All in all I loved everything about my fusion 8HD except for the sequencer, but I needed money for University and needed a DAW because I just couldn't make music without a computer (which is my personal preference for sequencing and recording... And I'm a big fan of softsynths as well)

... And I would've kept it as my live/gigging board if it had been a 6HD, but the 8HD weighs in at 60 pounds and was just a bit too long to sit on the backseat of my car and still be able to close the doors... So it went.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:01 pm

Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

NDaddy

Post by NDaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'm interested in the fusion for live work. How reliable is it just as a keyboard and how do the "basic" sounds sound compare to say the Motifs, Fantoms and Trinity's of this world?
B tru 2 U!

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:33 pm

I never had any reliability issues.

I never owned a motif, fantom, or triton, but I would say my fusion trounced my friend's triton LE hands down.

NDaddy

Post by NDaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Trounced eh.....Me likes the sound of that :lol:
B tru 2 U!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Yes, IMO far better sounds than the Triton, and more of them. Nicer keyboard action too. The Fusion can be a proper synth, whereas the Triton is limited.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 pm

I sold off my Triton Pro-X shortly after getting my Fusion 6HD. Amazingly I sold the Pro-X for more than I paid for my brand new Fusion, and the Fusion, IMHO kicks its a*s in many ways. I absolutley love the Fusion....and you get these for $700 new! :shock:

quicksilverXP

Post by quicksilverXP » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:11 am

Noticed my locak GC was running Fusions at lower prices than usual at one point. Are they are any particular ones to get? Like any way to tell you got a newer version rather than an older version?

The GC rep said they were prone to failure.. hence the cheaper price. But I still want one.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:35 pm

If it comes running OS 1.20 or higher and has an 80gb hard drive instead of a 40gb drive then its most likely built more recently...within the year maybe. Mine came with the 80gb drive and has performed great for me. For the money its a no brainer considering the features. Mine has never crashed, and I hope it stays that way.

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:45 pm

and of course the good thing is, even if you don't like the fusion's sound set, you can just cram it full with soundfonts (many gigs of them available on the net) :) x

polardark

Post by polardark » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:05 pm

I've been considering getting the 8HD version for some time now, and just when i was about to place the order at thomann.de (this synth isn't even sold in sweden) i couldn't find it on the page. Has this synth been officially discontinued now, or what's the deal?

Are there any other european stores selling this one?

shoontz

Post by shoontz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:43 pm

Here's some crazy Fusion news I stumbled upon a few days ago:
http://www.sinemedia.com/store/11269.html
Why in the world would the E3 memory upgrade cost $99 in the US and only $12.54 in Japan? Seriously!