Good MIDI keyboard controller?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MarkM

Good MIDI keyboard controller?

Post by MarkM » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:20 am

I'm looking for a good MIDI keyboard controller to interface with my laptop (Reaktor and Ableton Live) as well as my Waldorf Q and XT racks. Is there one that splits the keyboard and can assign pots CC#s? What do you recommend?

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:33 am

M-Audio Axiom series have 8 assignable knobs, 25, 49 and 61 key versions, are USB powered, have MIDI in/out and will interface with just about anything
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom49-main.html
i have an M-Audio Ozone, which has a cheaper board, but is an audio interface inside, and i cant fault it. the pitch and mod wheels feel excellent, and the keys are responsive as anything. another one to look out for would be the M-Audio Keystation, if you were looking for a less portable solution
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/K ... -main.html
hope this helps, good luck!
Alex
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:20 pm

thanks for the response. Can you split the keyboard with the Maudio boards?

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:21 pm

the axiom has no programmable sysex so it will be pretty limited for external hardware. I am big novation fan and use mine with my uQ with no issues

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:27 am

I'm interested in the Akai MPK49 which is shipping this month.

It does everything but splits. It even has a phrase sampler (arp) as well as MPC pads. I talked to Akai today about it, and it seems like it will be pretty good.

Here are the specs:
http://www.akaipro.com/prodMPK49.php

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:43 am

Yeah the Akais do look nice. Id still check out the Novation SL series with their Automap features--Im pretty sure they are the most delux on the market-I use one and its good. It has tons of knobs and sliders and 8 pads. But importantly its much more intelligent than regular Midi controllers.....it can automatically map to software and you can easily create your own templates for hardware - and it labels the controllers on the keyboard screens. Nice keybed also.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:15 am

Just got my MPK49 yesterday. It has exceeded my expectations. It actually is made of metal and fairly heavy. All the controls work very well. Love the Arp! The pads seem a bit stiff to play. I'm not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be on the MPC series. You really have to hit them fairly hard to trigger them. There are several parameters that change their sensitivity. They seem to work well with Waldorf Attack. The keyboard is fantastic. It feels very much like the Moog Voyager keyboard. If it holds up, I think I have finally found a really worthy controller.

Edited Dec. 30.
I stand corrected. It's made of heavy plastic. Still seems pretty solid.
Last edited by MarkM on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:07 pm

MarkM wrote:There are several parameters that change their sensitivity.
thats how they should be. Change the sensitivity to your liking

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:52 pm

I'll tell you something to avoid... the Edriol boards, at least the smaller ones. I've got a PCR-1: miniscule key travel, no aftertouch, and a pressure-sensitive pitch bend that is impossible to control.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:14 pm

I know what you mean about the Edirol boards. I also had an M-Audio Radium 49 that last a year with light use. There are so many junkie controllers, so it's nice to find a good one. I guess time will tell how good this Akai is. So far it is extremely good: especially the keyboard.

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:19 am

I would get a comfortable keybed that sends out accurate velocity points, and add an Oberheim MC3000d.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/12 ... sktop.html

It has 48 storable velocity curves, which are per zone, which there are 8 zones. It has chaining abilities, 1,000 + preset storage, and features that the cheapo controllers haven't the ability to incorporate. Polyphonic Aftertouch is an awesome feature also. So check out the VAX77 if you really are serious.

www.infiniteresponse.com

Otherwise, M Audio's KS88 is very cheap, but has massive real time abilities.

The custom velocity zones of the Oberheim are really fun. I have stored them per preset, so when a Rhodes sample is called, I can actually get the bells w/ a light touch, and have it set to bark loudly at around 105 on the velocity.

You can really make live performance a blast when things are programmed the way YOU want.

I gave up long ago waitng for developers to make something I like. It seems as though for me to achieve the desired results, I must use hybrid solutions.
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary