The Solaris

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Skynet preset

Post by Skynet preset » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:26 pm

I was more than enthused by the sound quality of the first demos released by John, I think the rest will follow the same quality path.

Extrapolating on my knowledge of the Creamware based plug, there shouldn't be a distinct " Solaris sound " you could nail on blind tests : many oscillators and filter types you can blend and modulate in sick extensive ways so if you don't blend, it will sound like many well known synths ... but some thousands of sounds to come with a certain complexity / twisted / extreme / quite evolving and definitely UNIQUE signature may come from Solaris :wink:

Could sound analog or hardcore digital, think many synths either side by side or blended into one with the high benefit of having an extended version of many single synths because of " more of everything " like more oscillators filtered with 4 different filters or with the same filter with 4 different settings / mods in the 4 mixers or ... any wild combinations that Solaris can offer ...

For not hardcore tweakers : you'll have *plenty* of simple synths into one if you want ...

For hardcore tweakers, your life will be too short to explore the depth !

I'am far from having explored Solaris V 4.1 ( the plug ) the upcoming V 5 will add significant sonic fire power possibilities and the hardware will even offer more ... so you should brace yourself quite ** badly ** :shock:

And it's meant to evolve ... 8)

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Post by Max Websta » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:33 pm

mao wrote:Selling the K2661 for the Solaris ? ehm ... I really can't understand...

If you need a real analog, well the solaris is not the solution... Buy a P08 or an A6... weell... you have it !!! If you need a great digital synth... the K2661 is the right choice... so really I can't understand this choice... If you dislike the K2661 well why did you buy it ?

I think that everybody must calm down and wait for some more interesting demo and specs... something you can't do with a laptop and some VST for example a laptop with RME audio board (yes...96Khz) and NI Reaktor... ok let's add a BCR2000 controller if you need knobs... and you are still below the Solaris price...
Who said anything about needing a real analog? If you look @ my sig, you'll see that I don't need another analog. I'm interested in the Solaris, because it's a next step forward and I like where JohnB is going with it.

When did I say I dislike the K2661? I think it's awesome, but other gear gets used more so... Like I said, there are some sounds I will sample so I can still have some Kurzweil flavor.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:18 am

Max Websta wrote:
mao wrote:Selling the K2661 for the Solaris ? ehm ... I really can't understand...

If you need a real analog, well the solaris is not the solution... Buy a P08 or an A6... weell... you have it !!! If you need a great digital synth... the K2661 is the right choice... so really I can't understand this choice... If you dislike the K2661 well why did you buy it ?

I think that everybody must calm down and wait for some more interesting demo and specs... something you can't do with a laptop and some VST for example a laptop with RME audio board (yes...96Khz) and NI Reaktor... ok let's add a BCR2000 controller if you need knobs... and you are still below the Solaris price...
Who said anything about needing a real analog? If you look @ my sig, you'll see that I don't need another analog. I'm interested in the Solaris, because it's a next step forward and I like where JohnB is going with it.

When did I say I dislike the K2661? I think it's awesome, but other gear gets used more so... Like I said, there are some sounds I will sample so I can still have some Kurzweil flavor.
Sorry I don't want to hurt you. My apologize. It's because of your sign that I'm a bit interested to understand your needs of the solaris. That's all... (If I have that $$$ to spend ... and all your analog equipment... my choose will be a v-synth gt a real different synth imho). I'm not saying Solaris is bad... at all... well nobody knows at the moment :D ... It's strange ppl is so excited for a new VA... It's like reading all that "I can't wait" on kvr-vst.com when someone announce the next VA vst with a new XYZ synth engine... and after releasing nobody looks for it. I hope theat this will not happens to the solaris.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 am

mao wrote: Sorry I don't want to hurt you. My apologize. It's because of your sign that I'm a bit interested to understand your needs of the solaris. That's all... (If I have that $$$ to spend ... and all your analog equipment... my choose will be a v-synth gt a real different synth imho). I'm not saying Solaris is bad... at all... well nobody knows at the moment :D ... It's strange ppl is so excited for a new VA... It's like reading all that "I can't wait" on kvr-vst.com when someone announce the next VA vst with a new XYZ synth engine... and after releasing nobody looks for it. I hope theat this will not happens to the solaris.
Well, no - it isn't strange...it's not like people (well, I should probably speak only for myself) are thinking - damn, I can't wait for the next va to plop down $4,000. It's being excited about a synth designed with a modular analog synth aesthetic that will sound really good, be really powerful, and be easy to use. it's not like there are lots of those in hardware form. The Clavia stuff requires a computer for serious editing, and personally, I don't think that they sound that great (just my opinion). What else is there? So yeah - I'm looking at this as a great SYNTH, not as a device that's going to emulate something else.

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Post by Max Websta » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:52 am

droolmaster0 wrote: I'm looking at this as a great SYNTH, not as a device that's going to emulate something else.
thanks droolmaster0,
I couldn't have said it better! I once owned the V-Synth and thought it was great, but for me it was limiting. I played the V-Synth GT and it's definitely steps above the original, but for my money I'm going to bank on John Bowen Synth Design. Someone has to be willing to get behind a guy who's had a hand in the creation of some of the most used sounds in popular music over the last 30 years.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:11 am

mao I think part of the interest in the Solaris is because of the man behind it's creation. Anytime you get one of the Masters of synthesizer design coming out with a new synthesizer people get excited.
It is because of the reputation of Bob Moog, Dave Smith and John Bowden synth players are ready to lay out cash because they know it will be something new and exciting.
For over 20 years we have seen nothing but Corporate synthesizers in the marketplace. Korg, Roland and Yamaha have ruled the world with their board room creations.
With the Solaris, Prophet 08, Evolver and Moog Voyager we have the opportunity to purchase synthesizers created with vision by the masters.

You may like the V-synth and someone else may not. It's a matter of personal choice.
I happen to like it but I still would love to own a Solaris because I know it will take synthesis sound to the next level.

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:19 am

I think the Solaris is a bit more than just a VA,even more so for someone who does not have rooms and, closets full of gear makes the Solaris seem like wise purchase for a hardware synth,at 2,800 it's getting harder to resist but I would like to see and hear a finished product, or at least hear some more demos.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:47 am

droolmaster0 wrote:I'm less interested in whether the Solaris sounds like an analog synth, than whether it sounds good and has its own sound.
me too. itll be interesting to combine all the different models for filter oscillators, wavetalbing etc etc... lotta potential for unheard of sounds even if some of the building elemnents are not "new", but imo a synth is a sum of all parts, routing, matrix mod, user interface etc etc.

theres nothing liek a poor interface on a powerfull synth to discourage experimenting and really far out results.

cant wait to hear more of the Solaris.

im still undecided if Stromberg or Solaris is most exciting new synth product. part of the problem is, with Stromberg still being vaporware, i dont know if there will in fact be some serious updates to the wavetabling engine, to filter/oscillator modelling and most importantly to analog filtering circuit (multimode please....!!!!), or it will turn out only a fancy-designed-repackaged Q+.

next to these two im most excited by FR XS and Boom Chick.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:44 am

ok let's see how the things goes... If the solaris goes in the same P08, Voyager bookshelf... well... could be the right move to get kicked from my wife. :D

Max Websta

Post by Max Websta » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:26 am

I know suggestions for a ribbon controller have come up before.
How about an optional ribbon controller similar to the one that is used by the Kurzweil k2661? The 600mm ribbon controller is programmable in three distinct zones or one long zone. There is an input for it right next to the pedal inputs. It's looks similar to a phone jack. I think it would add some very powerful control options. I thought that since the interface is already pretty full, an optional ribbon would be cool. It would sit perfectly in the space above the joystick or even a strip underneath the 10 knobs and buttons on the far right above the keys. I mean who wouldn't want one for their Solaris?

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:50 am

A Z1 XY style pad above the wheels, which would be below the vector joystick would have been cool to.

Max Websta

Post by Max Websta » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:04 am

Mr. Black wrote:A Z1 XY style pad above the wheels, which would be below the vector joystick would have been cool to.
from John Bowen Synth Design:

Vector Mixers - these are simple quad mixers that also have 4 inputs. Again, the inputs can be any of the sources in the Solaris. The built-in joystick (not shown in the prototype photos) is assigned to either or both Vector Mixers, and there are modulation paths for both the X- and Y-axis.

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:18 am

Guess I should read the specs more carefully,I just always liked the way the Z1 pad looked.

Max Websta

Post by Max Websta » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:29 am

It sounds like the Solaris will be getting a makeover. The olive could possibly be off-white or creme and the anthracite may end up being closer to black than blue. Sounds good to me! Not only will they sound sexy, but will look the part as well :P

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:38 am

I really want to see what the "closer to black" look's like, sounds sweet.