The Solaris

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:47 pm

scope4live wrote:
Maybe they will stay off of the video poker games and go buy some gear instead of gravelling around at KVR for free " analog synths". :roll:
I am a member of KvR and I know many fine members over there who don't spend their time grovelling around for free analog synths.
Last edited by seamonkey on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Becoming a little heated here - might be best continued via PM rather than in this thread.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:17 pm

I edited my post and deleted most of my comment.
It served no purpose and I don't want to stir up any bad mojo.:)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:23 pm

scope4live wrote: I use Solaris in live venues, and often get the local players feverish as they always ask what synths were used on that fusion piece? It's cool when I reply Solaris, most just go " Oh Yeah, that one." When actually they are embarrased to admit that they are just your basic Receptor cats w/ your basic NI synths, and have no clue what Solaris is. Good, I prefer they stay in the generic sounding Receptor world w/ basic analog emu's in VSTi format. Just makes my analog synths and DSP based models stand above the crowd even more.
scope4live wrote:I did hear a really great rig last week though. The guy had a Korg Oasys, and a Moog Voyager. I do enjoy some competition at times. These poor guys are tired of being punished by Oberheim and Solaris, good. Maybe they will stay off of the video poker games and go buy some gear instead of gravelling around at KVR for free " analog synths". :roll:
read this again scope4live and think about it for a few minutes :roll:

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:30 pm

be good to see a big new virtual analog-- wavetabler giving a bit of competition, demos sound good.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:18 am

alan partridge wrote:be good to see a big new virtual analog-- wavetabler giving a bit of competition, demos sound good.
Its got a few other synthesis methods up its sleeve too. The synergy of the different base sources gives it a unique "voice" as well I think...a bit different from your standard VA or Rompler, more organic. :D

I hope John can make some more demos soon to display the breadth of this thing a little better...probably after the show there will be more time.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:46 pm

top stuff, hope some demos get posted on here.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:04 am

sorry to be a hater, but i have lost interest after this long :?

still no more audio samples, no definite specs

hard to lay down the ca$h
[ + ]

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by carbon111 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 am

The specs are fairly solid now as stated on John's site, but I know he's been busy ramping up for NAMM. Its obviously taking longer to get this thing to market because they changed the coding team halfway through...its a tiny company.

It will take a while but it will be worth it IMHO.

Solaris:

* 4 Oscillators, each with several types available: MultiMode, WaveTable, CEM, WAV (sample playback), VS (single cycle waves), SuperSaw

* 4 Filters, each with a dedicated Mixer. Filter types are: Ladder Lowpass, 24, 12, 6, dB, Highpass 24, 12, 6 dB, Bandpass 24 dB, Comb (2 types), State Variable 12 dB LP, HP, BP, and Notch

* 2 Vector Mixers, 2 Rotors (special 4-step waveshape sequences), 2 AM sections (includes Ring Mod)

* 6 DADSRs, 2 8-stage loopable envelopes

* 4 free LFOs, 1 Vibrato LFO. Each has delayed start, fade in, and fade out times, key sync and Phase control

* Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Overdrive, 3-band EQ effects
Best Regards, James
--

johnb

Post by johnb » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:13 am

Dr. Sound wrote:sorry to be a hater, but i have lost interest after this long :?
You're not being a 'hater'; believe me, I understand the frustration! As carbon says, I had a major delay having to change DSP coders midway, and it's been a real challenge to get back to where I wanted to be by now. It's also true that NAMM has grabbed all my focus for the moment, and I'm hoping once that is over I can get back to 'normal'.

regards,
john bowen

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Post by Max Websta » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:40 am

johnb wrote:
Dr. Sound wrote:sorry to be a hater, but i have lost interest after this long :?
You're not being a 'hater'; believe me, I understand the frustration! As carbon says, I had a major delay having to change DSP coders midway, and it's been a real challenge to get back to where I wanted to be by now. It's also true that NAMM has grabbed all my focus for the moment, and I'm hoping once that is over I can get back to 'normal'.

regards,
john bowen
You know the Solaris is going to be awesome. JohnB cares enough about what his users need to ask their input in the development of his new product. How cool is that? Name another synth maker that's giving us what he wants and what we want.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:56 pm

deffo interested in this whenever it comes . its cool that a few people are going all out with interesting synths, who cares how long it takes to do a good job.. .-)

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22 am

This is something that is definitely interesting, I'm excited to see what the final product will look like, so far the specs look great.

Thanks for all the info Carbon and John B!
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:51 pm

johnb wrote:

regards,
john bowen
John,

Thank you for personally responding. I should have explained myself more clearly.

I was looking to get a digital synth integrated into my workflow for an upcoming project asap. As such, I could not justify putting down the cash now with no idea when the return would be.

Either way, there is no doubt you are producing a state of the art instrument.
[ + ]

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by carbon111 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 am

John Bowen has graciously asked me to come help show off the Solaris at NAMM!
I had to bend my boss's ear a bit to get a day off (he dosen't quite "get" my "strange hobby" ;)) but how often does something like this happen? :D

This should be a great time.I'll be sure to post a detailed report as soon as I can.
I'm really looking forward to the chance to play the Solaris at some length!

Anyone there should feel free to come by and say hi! We'll be in Room 210D on the second floor, near the Analogue Haven booth.

For all those who can't come, I'll take lots of photos of all the new gear! :shock:

Cheers, everybody!

Best Regards, James
--