Vintage vs. New

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:11 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:since my 106 is dead and buried.
I'm so sorry to hear that :cry: What happened?
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Re: Vintage vs. New

Post by smallsynth » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 pm

am i too late to the game?
JSRockit wrote:But how about people who buy a Moog Source over a Moog LP (about the same price these days) when the purchase isn't linked to nostalgia? Is it due to the fact the LP is being used by too many people and you want something different? Is it because you like older stuff and its simplicity?
well, let's see here... there is something to be said about the simplicity of the older gear. i happen to have both a source and a LP. one stays at home and the other goes out and plays. you'd be wrong if you guessed the source stays home.

the source is easier to cart to a show, and looks better (opinion). so i use it out. sure, it might die someday, but to me, it's worth it. it sounds great, and has patch storage. usually i use the knob, but for this project, i don't need to tweak so many parameters that one knob cannot handle it.

in our band, everyone plays vintage gear. the guitars, the drums, the amps. and we have a somewhat vintage sound, so it all makes sense. i'd feel a certain dissonance were i to pull out an sh201, for instance. so, aesthetics play a pretty big role, as well. i know that is rather shallow of me to say, but those concerns factor in everyone's decisions to a point. i'm probably going to switch from the source to a really banged up prodigy i have laying around.

i used to be more vintage. but, my like you JS, i found that patch storage and reliability trumped the older gear's appeal. and since you can often get a similar sound, you don't really lose much.

i would appreciate some newer, smaller, simpler gear. but whatevs... i'm probably never going to part with my gnat or eh400. if they made a newer version, however, i'd be all over it.

-geoffrey smallsynth

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:10 pm

smallsynth wrote: but whatevs... i'm probably never going to part with my gnat or eh400. if they made a newer version, however, i'd be all over it.

-geoffrey smallsynth
Grrr...this whole thread was a bad attempt to make you sell those to me!!! :lol:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:17 pm

smallsynth wrote: the source is easier to cart to a show, and looks better (opinion).
What if they'd redesigned the Phatty so it'd be more brick-like like the Source?

I always thought that the Ion nabbed some of the design aesthetic of the Source (well, okay, the ATC-X got there first with the membrane buttons, single wheel and the gaudy color scheme). I saw the Source for the first time in Bran Van 3000's "Drinking in LA", wondering what the h**l it was.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:18 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
redchapterjubilee wrote:since my 106 is dead and buried.
I'm so sorry to hear that :cry: What happened?
The usual problem with the 106 - the dead VCF chip. I couldn't stay on top of it. I'd fix one, then six months later another would go. Then I'd fix that one and then another would go, etc. So after the third chip died I decided to give up. That was a huge bummer. I really liked that synth.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Yoozer wrote:
smallsynth wrote: the source is easier to cart to a show, and looks better (opinion).
What if they'd redesigned the Phatty so it'd be more brick-like like the Source?
That's a good point as to why someone would prefer the source to the LP...the LP is shaped rather stupidly IMHO.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:26 pm

JSRockit wrote:
smallsynth wrote: but whatevs... i'm probably never going to part with my gnat or eh400. if they made a newer version, however, i'd be all over it.
Grrr...this whole thread was a bad attempt to make you sell those to me!!! :lol:
i knew it! (ha! but, no, i realize that not every thread is about me. or my gear.)

JSRockit wrote:
Yoozer wrote:
That's a good point as to why someone would prefer the source to the LP...the LP is shaped rather stupidly IMHO.
the LP is a terrible shape if you want to take it anywhere. i would have loved the LP to be more brick-like. after seeing the voyager, and hearing of a poor man's voyager on the way, my hopes were high. but oh well.

the source with three more (assignable) wheels, or a LP that is flat... yeah, that is the best shape in my opinion.

-geoffrey smallsynth

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:44 pm

The Moog Source has more capabilities than the LP. Others have mentioned some things, but the Source has ARPS and a Sequencer, digital sample and hold and S&H filter. Great for SPACE sounds. I have the original Source, but there are Midi kits if you want more than 16 program locations. I decided not to mess with mine, its just about MINT. It sounds great after all these years. I have no reason to buy a LP, the Source is a better synth.

With that in mind, I don't/won't move any of my vintage synths. For reliability and staying in tune, I gig with a Yamaha Motif ES8, and an Alesis ION. Great combo for the music I do. No problems with either of them in 3 years of gigging on weekends.

Mike T.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:49 pm

Jexus wrote:I like both.

Vintage - for giving me the opportunity to touch history. And for inimitable sound.

New - for giving me the opportunity to have fun & explore soundscapes throughout months. And for complex sound.
Totally agree.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:20 pm

miket156 wrote:The Moog Source has more capabilities than the LP. Others have mentioned some things, but the Source has ARPS and a Sequencer, digital sample and hold and S&H filter.
With the more recent LP firmwire releases sample and hold and noise have been introduced as modulation sources. Just thought I'd let ya know. ;)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
miket156 wrote:The Moog Source has more capabilities than the LP. Others have mentioned some things, but the Source has ARPS and a Sequencer, digital sample and hold and S&H filter.
With the more recent LP firmwire releases sample and hold and noise have been introduced as modulation sources. Just thought I'd let ya know. ;)
:oops: Yep, it's in the menu ... I mean...it's cool that it was added...but it wasn't implemented in a very moog sort of way...which is why some miss it I guess.

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:11 am

xibalba wrote:
is that thunderbird as in gibson thunderbird bass? b/c if so that f---ing rules, i use to have my dream guitar gibson firebird (reverse headstock, banjo tuners, chrome plated pickups...sigh i miss that guitar Crying or Very sad )
Yes it's a Gibson T-bird. I traded with a buddy for my Stratocaster. He has since routered it and stripped the paint, the T-bird would have been next. Since I started buying synths I sold all my other basses. I'll never part with the Thunderbird though. What happened to your Firebird?
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:26 am

Well, I am probably saying this way too late, but...

I don't listen to much synth music from the seventies, eighties, or nineties. It doesn't excite me. I didn't start likening synths till the last few years, and I think that is largely due to that fact that there weren't many synths I liked till recently.

I think vintage synths sound kinda boring. I have never played a Model D, but I imagine I would get tired of it before too long. It is not a bad synth, nor is it poorly designed. Indeed, a 15 years worth or synth design was copied from it. But it doesn't excite me. (For the record, Firebirds don't excite me either. But Telecasters do!!)

I have a great time playing the EMX. It is really limited and kinda cheesy, but I think it sounds exciting (The effects and motion sequences have a lot to do with that.)

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:58 am

I have pros and cons for both

- Old quality analogs are still a good deal compared to new analogs.
- New VA's rarely really sound like a vintage analog. Sure with some work you can coax out vintage sounds but vintage gear sounds that way all the time... You don't work to replicate it.
- Older gear is generally fairly easy to get around and master.
- Most gear has a unique sound personality. Asking someone why they bought vintage instead of new isn't much different than asking why someone bought a virus rather than microkorg.
- New VA's have character that I like in addition to the character of old gear, neither replace the other.
- Sometimes the possibilities on newer gear is overwhelming to the point that you spend a great amount of time programming and not making music.
- I do like the older aesthetic as well. The feel, sounds and looks are a lot more fun to me in general.

It's like driving a vintage Challanger and a new STi. They both have their benefits and neither replaces the other. Forced to make a choice I'd go for the Challanger and I feel the same about my synth gear.
Last edited by otto on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:10 am

JUGEL wrote:Why I like vintage

4. Not usually made with a marketed "attitude" in mind.
Hmmm...I could have sworn I saw some old synth ads that had some attitude built in... especially any synth that could be worn as a keytar... Am I dreaming?