The Nord sound- opinions?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:16 am

dammit carbon, stop trying to sell us nords, you shill :wink:

anyhow, just throw in a few mixer modules and double/quadruple up on the outputs into the mixer. that way you can layer an osc several times over without maxing out the DSP. if you cant make mean with the digitizer through a mulitmode into a wavewrapper into a distortion, then......
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:22 am

I like the early nord sounds. to me, the G1 sounds rawer than the NL2x, while the NL2x sounds bigger and smoother than the G1. used with some dist/fuzz pedal, the NL2x provide me with some of the edgiest sound around.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

memo

Post by memo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:02 am

i_watch_stars wrote:I'll tell you exactly what I think of the "Nord sound"....
I'm pretty much in agreement with your assessment - although I'll add that I love the Nord sound for percussion and sound effects.

I've created really nice drum kits with the NL2x using FM. While other virtual analogs have FM, nothing else provides such easy access to implementing it.

For example, it takes less than 5 seconds to add dynamic, velocity controlled frequency modulation to a bass or lead, which can turn a boring sound into a really interesting patch that you can effortlessly turn from smooth to nasty just by playing at different velocities.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:32 pm

wiss wrote:
try downloading the 1,000 plus patches from thier website for the g1. find a sound that is close to what your looking for and desgin patches from that to meet your sonic needs.

It may not seem like it but this is words of wisdom .. I usually start from scratch but you know what? I started doing this yesterday and bigod I came up with 28 patches. It's funny that when I create sounds from scratch they tend to sound the same at the end of the day l.o.l. .. I will probably be doing this from now on.. Thanks WIss.. I'm using the ION which is the best synth I've ever ever used..

I had the NOrd Lead 1 Rack in 2005 and I like it.. I can make analog bubbles really well on that red machine. Thank goodness I sampled the fudge cakes out of it. Some ppl say it's too NOrdy l.o.l.. It just basically has a character on it's own like the VIrus.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:49 am

memo wrote:
I'm pretty much in agreement with your assessment - although I'll add that I love the Nord sound for percussion and sound effects.

I've created really nice drum kits with the NL2x using FM. While other virtual analogs have FM, nothing else provides such easy access to implementing it.

For example, it takes less than 5 seconds to add dynamic, velocity controlled frequency modulation to a bass or lead, which can turn a boring sound into a really interesting patch that you can effortlessly turn from smooth to nasty just by playing at different velocities.
Yeah, the nord's great for that :)
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

dusk

Post by dusk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Sorry I dont agree. Ive never owned an analogue synth, sure, but Im a pretty experienced producer and Ive been making synthy electro for years and years with many VAs and innumerable samples of just about every vintage monosynth. Getting fat and warm bass sounds, for example, out of the Nord Lead can be done - the only obstacle is the high shelving EQ that is clearly built in.

The 2x is what I have and it offers so many creative options that it's really limited by the user only. I think your judgement is clearly based in plenty of knowledge and experinece, but I think that's why youre unfairly harsh as well: you are expecting the raw components, the filter mainly, to produce instant results that sit alongside your analogues. It wont do but that doesnt mean it cant do, but you have to exploit the sum of it's abilities. Layering up, using the great FM and ring capabilities, applying mod env to fm or oscillator 2 for that huge attack on bass, using a layer just for a sine sub osc, and using the unison which is IMO absolutely stunning (configure the detune amount for more control if you don't like it initially), are just a few of the methods to creating incredibly fat sounds.

It may not be the turn on->fat sound synth you want it to be, but "the synth that isnt fat or doesnt do bass" is what I use for rather massive electro tracks - and puts to disgrace all my previous attempts with (ok, not analogues) but very high-quality multisamples of analogues, and supposedly 95%-there softsynth emulations.
"Let's have a drink" is one of the most frequent phrases in use today.

It is an invitation to share time and communication around the consumption of a psychoactive drug.

eminor9

Post by eminor9 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:27 pm

I have a NL2x permanently midied to the Monomachine.
The fact that I can sequence 4 additional tracks + patch it in the Monomachine inputs and process further there makes it a keeper for me.

Nord and Mono go along very well imho.

memo

Post by memo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44 pm

dusk wrote:Ive never owned an analogue synth...
There you go. :)

Seriously, though - I have a Minimoog, and a Roland System 100, among other stuff, and the Nord can't really compete with them as far as pure tone. I'm pretty decent at programming.

But if you only have digital stuff, I can see why the Nord might seem like the warmest one. But if you were to add some real analog into it, you'd notice pretty quickly.

That's actually one of the cool things about the Nord - it cuts through a mix like butter. A Nord bass or lead can easily go straight to the front of a mix, even if the mix has huge bass and drum sounds, and you won't have to raise its volume to a disproportionate level. It will just rise to the mix all on its own.

dusk

Post by dusk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:08 pm

memo wrote:
But if you only have digital stuff, I can see why the Nord might seem like the warmest one. But if you were to add some real analog into it, you'd notice pretty quickly.
Stop it.... tiny synth world view being.... threatened.... :lol:

Of course I bow to your experience of using both, though it pains me to admit it. What id like is as some point is to do another thread swapping bass sounds. I'd like to be shown once and for all how my Nord sucks at analogue bass....

It is an invitation to share time and communication around the consumption of a psychoactive drug.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:08 pm

dusk wrote:
memo wrote:
Stop it.... tiny synth world view being.... threatened.... :lol:

Of course I bow to your experience of using both, though it pains me to admit it. What id like is as some point is to do another thread swapping bass sounds. I'd like to be shown once and for all how my Nord sucks at analogue bass....
I never said the nord "can't do bass". Actually I was the one that said that general statements like that about synths are rediculous. The nord is a servicable VA that can do all of the sounds you would expect with a modern synth, and like any decent synth, it's power and scope is directly proportional to the programming skill of its user.

Leaving analogs aside though and comparing it with VAs, it still leaves a lot to be desired IMO, or perhaps, did not live up to the reputation that preceeded it when I bought it. Perhaps I expected too much. The Nord Rack 2x should be 400$ retail, not 800 or 900$ (or whatever the suggested retail price is).
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:20 pm

I have a NL2R, and I just can't get into it... I don't have the patience to try and tweak it into useful territory, I just get fed up and turn on the OBXA or whatever and say fcuk it.

to be fair though, I haven't really delved into the FM and percussion side of it too much...

anybody know of a site that has tips and patches for the NL2?
I'd probably load some "good" patches and see if it's going to be worth my time or not... I hate to seem lazy, but I've got a lot of s**t that I'd rather mess around with...

I also think, from what I've heard in direct comparison, that I like the MS2000 / mKorg VA more.. ??

toonelind

Post by toonelind » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:19 am

in my experience the best sounding nord so far has been micromodular. didn't like lead3. lead2 is nothing special and so is nord electro.

but

if you look at the quality of the instruments, then nord is probably the best on the market. nice layouts, good knobs, durable bodies etc. a real instrument.

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:44 am

Tinny and thin, not enough Ooomph, but then I work in analog. Ill say this tho: Nord Modular g1 is the best ever educational tool for learning modular synthesis. :D Learned it and got ridda mine :D :D

but then I dont care much for Waldorfs either, too sterile and clinic-E. Where's the love? :cry:

if I were to go that digital route Id rather have a Virus C or above, or Supernover 2, now that's impressive soundin sheeite
twentyfirst century fizMO man

cfernn

Post by cfernn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:37 am

i_watch_stars wrote: I've heard all of this hullabaloo about the "Nord sound" and the "biting digital noises" etc, etc. To me, the raw oscs of the Nord sounds like a normal VA with a EQ gain on the high end...nothing really unique in my opinion. All this stuff about it sounding "raw"...anything will sound raw without the effects; sounds like any other VA with the effects turned off.
Is the 2X drastically different from the 2 ?? I own a few VAs, a Micron, MS2000 and a Nord Rack 2, and the Nord has always sounded so distinct to me, even in the lower end. No matter how much EQ or reverb I apply to it in mixes, it still sounds like a Nord. My bandmates actually don't like it because of this, they think it sounds too 'Nordy' , honestly

dusk

Post by dusk » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 am

The X has the 24/96 outputs which people say produce a noticeably "crisper" timbre. It certainly is very clean sounding to my ears.

Im thinking of selling it actually. I reckon I could pick up a Pulse for the same money or less, and from the demos that has some wicked bass capabilities. That or, with a bit of luck on the bay, a Pro One....