MiniMoog Refinishing Log - Do's & Don'ts

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:37 pm

You know, as much as it might be "sacrilege" to have goofed on refinishing a "vintage" piece of kit, there are some things to keep in mind:

• It's still a fully functional instrument
  • Z is doing something constructive, and learning along the way
  • Z will have the gratification of having completed a project
  • It's just a keyboard. It's just a thing. It's fun to get wrapped up in owning these objects, but sometimes it feels like folks take it all a little too personally. Time to stop being limited by our posessions, man! ;)
I'm excited to see how this all turns out!

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Nice solution to the heat gun problem, Z! The wood looks a lot better now, I think. Would imagine it looks better next to a Hammond organ due to the darker look of the wood.

Personally, I think it would be cool if more people had the wood paneling on their Minis painted or refurbished. I mean, if you own one, you probably will hang on to it, and it's no fun if it looks exactly like the next Mini. It's more like a DIY version of the Voyager, which you can custom order in different colours and wood sorts from Moog Music now. IIRC, Geddy Lee of Rush painted his old Mini red around the time they made Signals. It looked badass.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...