Inputs?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Fozzie

Inputs?

Post by Fozzie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit new to all this synth stuff (I love the sound of them and thought I'd give it a go cos I'm earning some dough now) so bare with me and sorry if I ask stupid questions.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of MIDI, I mostly want to use real instruments (mostly bass guitar) and warp/distort/ocsliate the sound through either rack or synth based synths (errm)

Secondly, input wise, I'd prefer to use 1/4" Jack plugs and not use Phono cables (although I work in an electrical stall so i can get phono if need be)

Now, I've been looking at some stuff such as the Korg Electribe EA-1 and Novation Nova and I'm applying my 1st points to these synths:

Do I have to use MIDI to get the desired sound? Can I plug my bass straight into them and use the chain of Bass>>Synth>>Amp ?

Also I'd like to know peoples opinions on the KPads....

Many Thanks x

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:44 pm

I would strongly suggest an analog filter of some sort.

Sherman Filter, Moog Murf, Frostwave, metasonix, smd, schippmann Ebbe, and I'm sure that I forgot a few.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:53 am

I've got an electrix filterfactory..
it's pretty simple, easy to use and quite nice.

you can have 'em for $100 or so..
and there's even a smaller version called the filterqueen.

otherwise, all the filters wiss pointed out are excellent, but also very expensive (most of them)
you could buy a filter section from a modular synth too :)
hehe

maybe you'd like a filter in a pedal form more?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Fozzie

Post by Fozzie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:18 pm

Yeah, thanks for the posts!!

Yeah, obviously I'd love to be able to avoid a Moog but I'm on a budget seeing as I'm a noobie at all this

Had a chat with someone from work, MIDI seems like a good option for me in terms of recording stuff, but here was the plan I had:

I was going to have a band that was mostly me but using a live drummer and/or singer as well. The rest of the music would be recorded in my home studio and played live, through the PA using an mp3 player of sorts.

What I wanted was to recreate some really interesting "synth" bass sounds, using a real bass guitar.

Just wanted to know what sort of options I could go for, I mean, I could get a MIDI controller then possibley have rack mounted synths then plug that into the PA, which would mean I wouldn't be playing bass (which was my main aim to have live bass in it)

I mean, could I use something like the Novation Bass Station as my MIDI controller for other synths? I hear its got good bass sounds anyways so if worse came to the worse I could play bass parts on that

good ideas?? xox

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:34 pm

What about those Bass synth pedals that Boss and Electro-harmonix make?
virb.com/ookpikk

PLP
Gear: OB-8, DSI Tempest, Virus TI2, Korg VolcaBass, Nord Lead 2X

Post by PLP » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Keyboards are real instruments, just because they have midi doesn't make them fake.

:wink:
Not your typical Dj http://www.djpuzzle.com

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:49 am

I love my guitar synth. With it I can play my tele and control, through midi, any synth. Maybe something like that would work for you.

You need to think about what you are really wanting to do. Everyone here will agree that synths are great but maybe synths aren't really what you want. You can get lots of synth like noises by chaining effects together. Also, as mentioned, there are pedals that are specifically designed to give synth tones and are actually small synths.

PLP
Gear: OB-8, DSI Tempest, Virus TI2, Korg VolcaBass, Nord Lead 2X

Post by PLP » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:53 am

Fozzie wrote:Yeah, thanks for the posts!!

Yeah, obviously I'd love to be able to avoid a Moog but I'm on a budget seeing as I'm a noobie at all this

Had a chat with someone from work, MIDI seems like a good option for me in terms of recording stuff, but here was the plan I had:

I was going to have a band that was mostly me but using a live drummer and/or singer as well. The rest of the music would be recorded in my home studio and played live, through the PA using an mp3 player of sorts.

What I wanted was to recreate some really interesting "synth" bass sounds, using a real bass guitar.

Just wanted to know what sort of options I could go for, I mean, I could get a MIDI controller then possibley have rack mounted synths then plug that into the PA, which would mean I wouldn't be playing bass (which was my main aim to have live bass in it)

I mean, could I use something like the Novation Bass Station as my MIDI controller for other synths? I hear its got good bass sounds anyways so if worse came to the worse I could play bass parts on that

good ideas?? xox
Have you heard of Thin White Duke (not David Bowie)? He also goes under Jacques Lu Cont, Les Rythmes Digitales, Man With Guitar, Pour Homme, Stuart Price

He a killer bassists who does remixing and produces dance tunes. I like his sound because there's usually a real bass guitar in them.
Not your typical Dj http://www.djpuzzle.com

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 am

Theres a few options, you can either

A) Use effects modules or synth inputs to affect the sound of your bass

or

B) Use your bass output to control another piece of equipment (however you could run in to problems with this)

OR!

C) Get a pitch to MIDI data converter. (I think this might be your best option, it can be expensive at times but its getting cheaper nowadays from what I hear)
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:42 pm

You could input your bass signal into some software like Reaktor. It has some FX that are insane like Banaan Electronique or Lurker. There are so many in their library. But you will have to get a decent I/O to input into your computer. They aren't too expensive these days.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:34 am

just put a midi pick up on your bass....then you have unlimited options..
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Inputs?

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:34 am

Fozzie wrote:
Firstly, I'm not a fan of MIDI
then you should probably stay away from synths and get a bass multi-fx unit or bass synthesizer pedal. Unless you know how to prgram, a synth isn't going to offer much for a bass player beyond filtering and envelope following, of which there are already many dedicated pedals/stand-alone units.

It's about simplicity vs complexity, and how much trouble it's going to be worth for you.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Fozzie

Post by Fozzie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:35 pm

Hey, sorry I've not been on for a bit, have been messing about with Reason and Cubase etc

Yeah, I've had a look at Boss Synth pedals and to be quite frank, they are no where near as "synthy" as I'd like them to be.

MIDI P/ups are not my thing, I've played with them, seen them used and there is always a latency issue. I know its like a fraction of a fraction of a second but its more then enough to annoy the h**l out of me.

I have no "got" Reason, Cubase and a MIDI cable so I have the chance to muck about with MIDI a bit more. Its ever so complex though trying to run an old keyboard into Cubase, but using Reason effect modules to make it sound good. So far I have got the basic keyboard sound in Cubase through my keyboard, but with latency issues. This is annoying me cos I have spent the largest amount of time I can (working 2 jobs and trying to keep up with rent and other personal issues) trying to get it all working but I'm at a lose end.

Here is the plan: Get a Korg MicroKorg, use my MIDI Cable and play some parts into Cubase using that. Also use said Korg to act as a MIDI device and play about with Reason (is it possible to do MIDI drums in Reason, I know nothing about Reason at all)

Burn recordings to mp3, play them through a PA at a gig, (minus the bass and possible vocal parts) and then have a live bass with me "singing"

I run into trouble though cos I'm fussy in the sense I like to play bass, don't want to spend over £500 on a MIDI P/up that will annoy me and yet get decent bass synth sounds that you would normally hear in dance music

Fozzie

Post by Fozzie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Sorry for double post!!

As a matter of fact, I can do without having to play synth bass live, I could play a clean bass part over the top of a synth one that I can record using a synth of some sort.....

Right, so now I'm looking for a decent synth that can give me nice synth bass sounds, another or same synth that could give me nice pad, saw lead parts to record and all this can be recorded into Cubase SX3 without me having latency issues and getting fustrated...

Also, is there anyway of adding reverb to a MIDI track using Reason in Cubase without me sounding like a complete a*s and using my mums Casio CTK-900 lol x