Alesis Ion or Korg R3?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hemmick reef
Gear: V Collection, Largo, The Legend, PPG wave v.3, Korg Legacy Collection, FM8, PolyKB III, Repro-1,5.

Alesis Ion or Korg R3?

Post by hemmick reef » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:04 am

With cost aside is there much difference between the sound of these synths - does the Ion compare well to the R3.

Also wondering if a midi controller can be used with these synths to add more hands on control?

Thanks

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:52 pm

You wouldn't need a Midi Controller for the Ion. I have not played an R3, but I own an Ion. It's quite good, and there are plenty of pots for most features you would ever need in performing. There's quite a bit of menus for deeper modulation, but no controller could get to those. Once set up, you would rarely ever need to go back into the menus while playing. Those menus are for building your patch or setup. Via the mod matrix you can assign some of the obscure modulations to many sources that would be hands on. There aren't too many modestly priced VA synths that have as many controls as the Ion. I don't know how the Ion would be played via a Midi Controller. I know that most of its basic functions can be accessed, but I'm not sure about all of them.

hemmick reef
Gear: V Collection, Largo, The Legend, PPG wave v.3, Korg Legacy Collection, FM8, PolyKB III, Repro-1,5.

Post by hemmick reef » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Thanks for the comments -

I thought that a midi control interface may be attached via a midi connection on the back of the synth, but I am no expert here!

I'm not sure how it could be set up though, it may have to be done through a sequencer like Cubase?

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:38 pm

With the R3, a tone consists of two timbres which both can be set to different MIDI channels. If you plug in an external MIDI controller, you can use that as an extra set of keys and knobs to control one sound as you play and edit the other from the R3 itself.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:36 am

for what it's worth, i was deciding between an Ion and a Radias for a vocoder a few months ago. i downloaded the manuals to see how exactly the vocoder programming worked and decided that the Radias was a more user-friendly interface. i bought mine used for $750 off craigslist, which is a few bucks more than a new R3 with tax. as an unexpected bonus, it looks spectacular in the dark!

Image[/url]

hemmick reef

Post by hemmick reef » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:21 am

xpander wrote:for what it's worth, i was deciding between an Ion and a Radias for a vocoder a few months ago. i downloaded the manuals to see how exactly the vocoder programming worked and decided that the Radias was a more user-friendly interface. i bought mine used for $750 off craigslist, which is a few bucks more than a new R3 with tax. as an unexpected bonus, it looks spectacular in the dark!

Image[/url]
How does the Radias compare to other synths old & new?

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:32 am

Personally I feel leke the R3 has better editing than the Ion. They definatly feel different from each other (Ion 's 500 presets to the R3 128) I feel like starting out thats going to make a big difference. I'd go with the R3 over the ion or radias.

Small synths are sexy as h**l too

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:38 am

thestreets wrote:Personally I feel leke the R3 has better editing than the Ion. They definatly feel different from each other (Ion 's 500 presets to the R3 128) I feel like starting out thats going to make a big difference. I'd go with the R3 over the ion or radias.

Small synths are sexy as h**l too
So are you saying you'd prefer the R3 over the Radias because of ease of editing and immediacy? You don't miss those extra timbres, mod/step sequencers and all that jazz? I'm tossing up between these two at the moment but can't make up my bloody mind!

Sorry for hijacking.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:48 am

Ion wipes the floor with the R3. I own the Ion and have had the "honour" of playing on the R3. The R3 sounds nice; not as good as Ion in my opinion though. Also the R3 in 37 keyed so you can really only use it as a bass/lead synth unless you want to connect a 61+ key controller to it. A lot less memory and editability it seems on the R3 and harder to edit for that matter. The Ion is quadtimbral which you can choose as layerd or split across the keyboard; don't know about R3. On top of everything else the Ion is $50 cheaper new; can be found on eBay used much cheaper, around $400ish. But the best thing would be for you to hit up a few music stores and demo them both.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:52 am

Well, personally those are things that I look for in a synth. Ease of editing, how the synth is laid out. I'm not really interested in the sequencer in the Ion i feel as though it wouldn't really be that useful to me. Of course in every synth it comes down to how good it is sonically, and how well it can generate sound but I'm a real stickler for ease of editing (lord knows why i still have a micron).

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:58 am

thestreets wrote:Well, personally those are things that I look for in a synth. Ease of editing, how the synth is laid out. I'm not really interested in the sequencer in the Ion i feel as though it wouldn't really be that useful to me. Of course in every synth it comes down to how good it is sonically, and how well it can generate sound but I'm a real stickler for ease of editing (lord knows why i still have a micron).
The Ion doesn't have a sequencer, it has an arpeggiator.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Scandilux

Post by Scandilux » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:45 pm

@ hemmick reef:

What kind of music would you like to produce?

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:21 pm

Oh right the radias has a sequencer. my mistake. Alrighty well then the R3 has an arpeggiator.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:07 pm

What do you mean by using a midi controller for more hands on control? Thers's plenty of hands on control on the synth themselfs...

Scandilux

Post by Scandilux » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Box wrote:What do you mean by using a midi controller for more hands on control? Thers's plenty of hands on control on the synth themselfs...
Correct if I'm wrong but i think he means, using the ION not only as a synth but also switch to Midi for DAW with it.

ION is a synth on its own but also the possibillity to use it as a Controller.

That was my idea exactly with the ION
http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=32510