RM1x

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Proeliator

RM1x

Post by Proeliator » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:48 pm

I was looking into buying a RM1x for live use because I have seen them in a few live set ups, But alot of people complain about how hard they are to use and as a new guy to hardware this is a little off putting. Is there any good alternatives in a similar price range?

Any help is most appriaciated :D

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm

I'm not sure where you are getting that. The rm1x sequencer is about as easy to use and is brilliantly suited for live use. I dont even use the tone generator on mine and it is a great hands on type device.

What is great about the rm1x:

x0x style grid sequencing
excellent step sequencing
brilliant looping/"sequence remixing" functions <- best reason to buy
excellent built in "jobs" (macro's) for automating many useful functions.

I have owned a bunch of midi sequencers over the years (MC-50, Q-80, QY-20, PMA-5) and this thing is the only one that really did the trick for me and the only thing I would consider replacing it with would be it's big brother the RS7000. For the price of a used electribe, you cannot get a better sequencer and there really is nothing that comes close in the price range

*edit*

My mistake, the keys are not velocity sensitive. I have a master keyboard so I dont ever record with the keys
Last edited by Altitude on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:12 pm

This was my first real sequencer back in 2000 - 2005 before switching to Cubase SX3.. You can hear some of the tunes on myspace.. Ofcourse I didn't know anything about EQ and Compression so it sounds mud.

I like this RM1X. I really hate the manual even though I learned from the manual.. WHen I first got it I went thru the presets which sounded cool especially the ELECTRO presets. THen I read the manual and learned the system within a couple of days.. YOu will learn it and you will be very good at it. It's not that hard but you just have to get use to it. You will love the MIDI on this thing because it will be your center midi production. It controlled my AN1X, EMAX, ESI 32 and my ORBIT very very well.

What I know now since switching to CUbase is if I can have it back I would use that as my MIDI centerpiece then record the audio's to Cubase. I miss it.. If I get one I'll use the RS7000 because it's the big brother of RM1X. Bottom line is I felt the RM1X was more stable than my computer..

Get one.. It's a stable box too and built like a tank(really). I think you can get one these days for 200.00. You will love it because of the clear big screen and the flashy lights when the lights off which is perfect if you plan on taking it out for live use. Also when I first bought my RM1X in 2000 it costed me 450.00. Now you can get the RS7000 for the same I price I bought the RM1X..

I miss you RM1X :wink:

Proeliator

Post by Proeliator » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks for the replys, I was told Yamaha sequencers are hard to use by a few mates of mine I guess they just never gave them a chance.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Proeliator wrote:Thanks for the replys, I was told Yamaha sequencers are hard to use by a few mates of mine I guess they just never gave them a chance.
A piano is hard to use too when you first sit down and use one..

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:37 pm

l.o.l the sounds are bland but the effects makes up for it..

How it works is you put your ideas(patterns) on one of the 16 pads and build a song that way.. Easy and straight to the point. :wink:

it looks can kill.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:26 pm

Proeliator wrote:Thanks for the replys, I was told Yamaha sequencers are hard to use by a few mates of mine I guess they just never gave them a chance.
Yamaha just has their own slant on sequencing. I used an Ensoniq sequencer for 15 years so when I switched to a Yamaha I was totally confused. Once I understood the Yamaha interface it was quite easy to navigate.

Meanwhile I have never understood Roland sequencers (which most people love) and I've owned a couple.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 pm

i owned one for a hot minute and i found it very easy to use altough i cant truly comment on it but if your not sure check these guys out all they use live is on rm1x and thats how they made all their albums http://www.thegaskets.com/

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:55 am

It's a cool box, but I found the manual to be poorly written and confusing. There's so much it can do. I bought mine used about 3 years ago for $300. It's definitely a keeper. Some of the sounds are pretty good.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:11 am

PRltor, what's the verdict?

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:42 am

I've got a RS7000 (never owned a RM1x) and what I would say as far as the RS7000 goes is; it's like a savings account; you get out of it what you put into it.

If you are prepared to give it a bit of time; put in the effort to learn how to use it; and wrap your head round the sequencer; it will pay dividends.

Not to say it's stupidly hard or difficult (IMHO); just seen a lot of people on some RS forums and lists buying one; not being prepared to put in the effort and then wanting to sell it a month later. :roll:

The RS7000 is my sequencer for live use; I choose it because of the ease of use; fluidity; and approach. AFAIK; the RM1x is basically the same sequencing engine; so two thumbs up from me as the centre of your live rig.

And if I was in the market for a hardware sequencer; and on a tight budget; this would probably me first port of call (see Altitude's post)

clueless

Post by clueless » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:51 am

I am not a live user but I believe it is well suited to the task. The knobs are big and well spaced. It's metal construction can handle being shifted around from gig to gig. As has been said, it's very intuitive to use. Get one. I think they are great value.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:32 am

My favorite things about it were the fact that it had an actual disc drive for storage and not an obscure memory card (MC505 - my pet peeve there) and the fact that I could easily program a "song" across the keys, then play it as I went along, triggering each section as I wanted to. Made it great for playing guitar along to, as I could repeat or extend any section I wanted to, much like playing with a live drummer.

They're cheap, no more or less difficult to learn than any other machine, and they sound like they sound. Along with everyone else in the thread, I'd say buy one, Pro!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Proeliator

Post by Proeliator » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Thanks guys I will pick one up real soon :D

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:02 pm

Good deal! After you've spent some time with it, report back and let us know how you're getting on with it.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!