Forever FIZMO!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:12 pm

I have a FIZMO! It's for sale, though I don't really want to sell it. Yes, I know that doesn't make any sense. I had one before, sold it and wanted one again about 2 weeks later, so I bought this one. I should be smart enough to figure out that's just going to happen again, but apparently not.

They are pretty freaky. :D
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 pm

stikygum wrote: I just checked and my Fiz has the bad LM2940 regulator. I have never had a problem with my fiz and only use the Nintendo adapter.
I talked to a couple other Fizheads whose units have LM regulator still in and their units are doing fine after all these years, evidentely most of the original regulators were defective, but some good ones slipped thru, that it wasnt the design per se but the quality control. And both users said they're using the Nintendo wall wart, like the one that came with mine and y're using. So their consensus is that if it still works fine after all these years, dont f**k with it.

Obviously, a few good ones could've made it, I wonder if an original Fiz is worth more than a modified one??
twentyfirst century fizMO man

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Huppo wrote:I have a FIZMO! It's for sale, though I don't really want to sell it. Yes, I know that doesn't make any sense. I had one before, sold it and wanted one again about 2 weeks later, so I bought this one. I should be smart enough to figure out that's just going to happen again, but apparently not. They are pretty freaky. :D
Hup, seriously reconsider. This forum has many others who did the same thing and regretted it. Dont let history repeat itself, it seems they are getting rarer and rarer. :wink:

And If U do sell it, its siren song will forever haunt U.... :lol:
Last edited by sequence on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:15 pm

i messed with one at a store once.

it was fun. i'd buy one if i had the money.

i'd never get to anything besides noisemaking but would be happy all the same.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:25 pm

esqoner wrote:i'd never get to anything besides noisemaking but would be happy all the same.
One thing Ive discovered about Fiz is that it's not all noise, there are some magnificient and beautiful lush wavetable pads that can be coaxed out of it with a little tweaking. Truly beautiful and inspirational! :D

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:18 pm

sequence wrote:
stikygum wrote: I just checked and my Fiz has the bad LM2940 regulator. I have never had a problem with my fiz and only use the Nintendo adapter.
I talked to a couple other Fizheads whose units have LM regulator still in and their units are doing fine after all these years, evidentely most of the original regulators were defective, but some good ones slipped thru, that it wasnt the design per se but the quality control. And both users said they're using the Nintendo wall wart, like the one that came with mine and y're using. So their consensus is that if it still works fine after all these years, dont f**k with it.

Obviously, a few good ones could've made it, I wonder if an original Fiz is worth more than a modified one??
is wishful thinking a viable way to fix things? because if it is, i sure as h**l aint changing my my brake pads this week. i always end up squeezing all the fluid back out of the pump.

and no, defective gear is rarely worth more than functional gear. that said, if anybody wants an original fizmo power supply, i can sell you one for 50 bucks.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:22 pm

sequence wrote:
esqoner wrote:i'd never get to anything besides noisemaking but would be happy all the same.
One thing Ive discovered about Fiz is that it's not all noise, there are some magnificient and beautiful lush wavetable pads that can be coaxed out of it with a little tweaking. Truly beautiful and inspirational! :D
absolutely

i just don't see myself doing anything other than twisting knobbies for a long while

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:06 pm

sequence wrote: Obviously, a few good ones could've made it, I wonder if an original Fiz is worth more than a modified one??
A fellow over on KSS bought one that had been running fine for years. It fried that week.

The LM2940s aren't defective at all. Its not that there's anything wrong with the LM2940 regulator, its that its the wrong part for the job which is why the fix is to use a different model regulator. Also the addition of the two filter caps helps.

Ensoniq figured the problem out at some point because later Fizmos had different regulators.

Ask around on the Fizmo forum.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:21 pm

I've just bought a FiZmO :D

It needs the regulator fix but I'm sorting that out as soon as I can get the parts

With regard to the PSU, how important is replacing the original PSU and does anyone know where I can get a 9V AC 1300mA PSU in the UK?

Also, what Nintendo was the adaptor for that lots of people are using?

:)
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:09 pm

sequence wrote:I talked to a couple other Fizheads whose units have LM regulator still in and their units are doing fine after all these years, evidentely most of the original regulators were defective, but some good ones slipped thru, that it wasnt the design per se but the quality control. And both users said they're using the Nintendo wall wart, like the one that came with mine and y're using. So their consensus is that if it still works fine after all these years, dont f**k with it.
I don't know; that's what I kept telling people about the 800017A's in my Juno-106. Then I had one go last spring. Now I'm resigned to having to replace all of them eventually.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:11 pm

I'd be interesting to know 1) how many Fizzie kb's were produced, and 2) how many have survived, here approaching the 10th anniversary of their introduction. :D

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 pm

sequence wrote:I'd be interesting to know 1) how many Fizzie kb's were produced, and 2) how many have survived, here approaching the 10th anniversary of their introduction. :D
I'd be interested to know this as well. Seeing as some of the later ones were produced without the problematic VR, it would probably be safe to assume that most of those are still alive. Does anyone know how Ensoniq's serial numbering scheme worked? That may offer a clue to the number of units produced.

The SN on my recently-acquired Fiz (thanks H!) is 10879 dated 12/06/98. It has the updated VR.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:24 am

I just saw this and I think it's great but why some ppl think it's an odd waste of time synthesizer..

Why is it a misunderstood synth?

here's a good youtube vid of le FIZ

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:28 am

and here's another one

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:32 am

Mpresev wrote:Why is it a misunderstood synth?
To put it bluntly: Anything that doesn't fit the VCO-VCF-VCA paradigm freaks some people out.