Forever FIZMO!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ygg

Post by ygg » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:15 pm

Thanks once again!
I like the looks, definitly not ugly in my eyes.

Oh..one is up now? Can't see it. But since I'm a nabb at finding things on ebay that could be the reason perhaps. :roll:

Sorry for hijacking the thread :shock:
Acid Generators: Mg-1, Tb-Devilfish, Fizmo, Minimoog, JP6europa, JP4 I/O, S-100m, Maplin 5600s, Prophet 5, NordWave, Concorde 502, Tr-77, Tr-808midi, Machinedrum, Vermona drmmk2, Re-201, Vt-1, Fireworx, Scrotum, other FX , pedals and hardware.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:24 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:I don't get it Huppo, if you liked your Fizmo that much why did you sell it? Aren't they quite rare?
I don't consider them all that rare. Certainly fewer of them around than plenty of other synths, but not really rare.

I got rid of it this time because I have too many synths. I had taken it off one of my 3 tier racks to make space for something else several months ago and stood it on end in the corner of the studio with half a dozen other keyboards. In all those months I didn't even turn it on or play it so when I decided to sell a few of my lesser-used keyboards that one came into the crosshairs.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:46 pm

Huppo wrote:I got rid of it this time because I have too many synths. I had taken it off one of my 3 tier racks to make space for something else several months ago and stood it on end in the corner of the studio with half a dozen other keyboards. In all those months I didn't even turn it on or play it so when I decided to sell a few of my lesser-used keyboards that one came into the crosshairs.
If you aren't using it at the moment then I suppose that's certainly justified then. Hopefully you'll be able to pick up another one in the future if need be - I was under the impression that they were quite scarce.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:21 am

yeah, he'll be back. the FiZmO Siren Song will call to him in hisREM sleep "bring me back, Hup, bring me back".... :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 am

Thank you all for the great demos and price info for this beauty. imho, this board looks cool and it sounds as cool as it looks :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:42 pm

sequence wrote:yeah, he'll be back. the FiZmO Siren Song will call to him in hisREM sleep "bring me back, Hup, bring me back".... :D
Nothing's impossible, I guess. If I find another one kicking around for cheap I'd buy it on principle but I don't see myself shelling out an ever-increasing price for one.

Though it's a stunning synth and completely rewarding to play by itself and tweak long into the night, like many others I find it vary hard to fit into a mix. The depth and delicacy of the sound are easily lost if you try to use it in an ensemble situation.

The other thing I probably didn't like abut it is paradoxically one of the most likable things about it: I never felt like I had complete control of what it was doing or going to do. Even after understanding and being able to visualize the internal structure of it, I found sounds getting out of hand when I tried to realize something I had imagined. For some folks that element of unpredictability is probably a plus. I mean, who doesn't want a synth that you can almost literally never stop exploring and finding weird new things about? Well, I guess I didn't want that enough. I never found myself thinking "Gee..what this song needs is something completely random that's not within my control".

So yeah..I'll probably have another one, just not feeling the loss this time the way I did last time when I bought another one two weeks after selling the first one. Right now I like the space and the $$ more than a synth I didnt play.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Sealed

Post by Sealed » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:34 am

I like my FIZMO but with a bit of ambivalence.
It can produce something no other synths can do. But the filter sounds weak to me....

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:20 pm

I think Fizzie's transwave structure trumps its (kinda) weak filter any day of the week. :D I guess every synth will have some aspect that's weaker than others; I dont care much for the filters on my MEK. 8)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:07 am

how is it the Mr.Rack compared to the Fizmo. Would it make a good transwave synth substitution. Glen Ballard is a fan of that synth that he used many of the sounds in Alanis album. Any other good alternative from Ensonique? I used to expect that Halo is going to be the Fizmo sucessor..but with the Z-plane, it is more of an E-mu rather than an Ensonique. What about the TS?

Sealed

Post by Sealed » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:49 pm

MR and TS has no resonant LPF - it's only added in FIZMO.
MR and FIZMO have 2nd generation Transwave - it sounds a lot smoother than TS.
TS has sample RAM and you can load your own samples and even create your own Transwave (with some freeware utility).

I think TS sounds louder and has better sound quality (to me), but MR/FIZMO have better quality samples. TS can use more complex modulation routings, but FIZMO is easier to use with the resonant LPF.

KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Sealed wrote:I like my FIZMO but with a bit of ambivalence.
It can produce something no other synths can do. But the filter sounds weak to me....
Yes, the synth is fun to play but the audio has a muted 'cardboard' sound to it or something. It doesnt have the punch and sparkle as my ESQ1 for example.
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:47 pm

yeah, pity that those synth have no res LPF. thank you for the explanation Sealed. they should put the TS/MR line database here. Those are interesting 2nd generation transwave synth.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:55 pm

carbon111 wrote:It was the siren call of the Fiz that finally made sure I had one in my setup again ;)
Carbon, since you have both the Fiz and VFX, how do you like one over the other..would the VFX make a good fiz substitution? Which filter sounds better?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:09 pm

a lot of these complaints about the Fizmo are null if you use the sounddiver editor.

tons of mod routings, filter choices, and the ability to diddle all those gorgeous effects.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:20 pm

I used to own a Ensoniq Halo, it is only a Proteus 2000 based rompler similar to Emu's other kb romplers of the early 2000s like the Mo Phatt. It is nowhere near what a Fizmo is, or does, or anything--no similarities at all except for the 61 key board.