Forever FIZMO!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:49 pm

KalinsFarm wrote:Yes. I loaded it on my Intel Mac and it ask me to insert a USB key. I can get a key (with Logic 7) off ebay. I was unclear as to what registration tricks I had to perform with Apple and the key to use it.

Is the 'used' key tied to the registration number of it's original product (like Logic)?
Will any key work with the standalone editor?
You are confusing the standalone Fizmo editor and the full-blown SoundDiver public beta 2. The standalone editor does not require any key and runs in OS 9 (possibly in OS 8 and previous) or Windows only. It will not run on an Intel Mac unless you run Windows on that Intel Mac and it contains the Fizmo module only. It can be downloaded from the Fiz Yahoo! group.

The public beta will run in OS X and on Intel Macs (via PPC emulation, aka Rosetta), but it requires an XSKey. The public beta is what is still available to download from Apple. This version contains the Fizmo module, but also other modules and adaptations which can be used to edit many other synths.

Any XSkey will work, and you don't need to register it or anything. The SD public beta 2 only checks to see that a key is there when it runs.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:41 am

You are confusing the standalone Fizmo editor and the full-blown SoundDiver public beta 2. The standalone editor does not require any key and runs in OS 9 (possibly in OS 8 and previous) or Windows only. It will not run on an Intel Mac unless you run Windows on that Intel Mac and it contains the Fizmo module only. It can be downloaded from the Fiz Yahoo! group.

The public beta will run in OS X and on Intel Macs (via PPC emulation, aka Rosetta), but it requires an XSKey. The public beta is what is still available to download from Apple. This version contains the Fizmo module, but also other modules and adaptations which can be used to edit many other synths.

Any XSkey will work, and you don't need to register it or anything. The SD public beta 2 only checks to see that a key is there when it runs.

Thanks Pangmaster!
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Fri May 16, 2008 6:35 am

Question 1: Does the rack model have the same power problems as the keyboard?

Question 2: As mentioned earlier in this thread, the rack model seems to pop up from time to time here in Japan. I'm mildly curious about it, but just how much would it be worth if I, hypothetically, sold it on (on ebay, for instance) after buying one and realizing I didn't really have any use for it after all (I do have problems making my mind up, ok)..?

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri May 16, 2008 8:42 am

SickMonkey wrote:Question 1: Does the rack model have the same power problems as the keyboard?

Question 2: As mentioned earlier in this thread, the rack model seems to pop up from time to time here in Japan. I'm mildly curious about it, but just how much would it be worth if I, hypothetically, sold it on (on ebay, for instance) after buying one and realizing I didn't really have any use for it after all (I do have problems making my mind up, ok)..?
I think you'd get about 400 quid plus on Ebay UK if people are still getting stiffies for them.

Hades
Gear: XV88,JX10,Juno60/A6/Fizmo/KStation
/Matrix1000/K5000/
Xbase888/TB303/Fireworx/H8000fw/
NI Komplete/Omni/Live Suite 8/MacbookPro/Midas/Focal Twins

Post by Hades » Fri May 16, 2008 12:14 pm

you'd get 500 euro's for a normal fizmo in working condition in most of Europe. you might even get up to 600 if you're lucky.
and that's for the keyboard model.
the racks go for way more.
I've seen racks being sold for 1000 even, although I'd never pay that.
so maybe 800 euro's might be what you can get for a rack.

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 pm

SickMonkey wrote:Question 1: Does the rack model have the same power problems as the keyboard?
No, but some rack models have tuning issues.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri May 16, 2008 4:56 pm

When I bought an Ensoniq SQ-1+ in the 90s, I could have bought the Fizmo standing next to it instead. :? The SQ-1 is worth now like a hundred or something.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:56 pm

sequence wrote:
No, but some rack models have tuning issues.
It might actually have the regulator issue as I think the rack uses the exact same circuit board. Easy enough to open a rack to see if there's a LM2940 inside or not...

Apparently the tuning problems arise because there are no wheel pots plugged into the (same) circuit board.

More complete info on these lines can be had on the Fizmo Users Group I mentioned before.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com