Your first synth.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Do you still have your first synth?

Yes
49%
No
43%
I sold it, but then bought it again.
8%

Total votes: 125

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:17 am

Yes, V-Synth.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:26 am

No. I hate to sound ungrateful, but I got a DX-21 from my parents when I was 13 and was only partially happy. I had been begging for a Juno-60 or a 106, but received a DX-21 on the advice of a music professor who was giving me theory lessons at the time because he was a DX-7 fanatic. To me, it was thin and cold and had an obtuse interface. All I wanted were warm sounds and tones that would help me emulate Nick Rhodes' work on "Rio".

I tweaked it a lot, but never really knew what I was doing and wound up just modifying a lot of commercial sounds I bought through the classifieds in Keyboard (oh, how I miss the days of data cassettes). I sold it during my freshman year of high school to put towards an ESQ-1 that my parents helped me out with. I liked the ESQ a lot more and sometimes wish I still had it. I learned more about programming and was fairly productive using its tiny onboard sequencer, along with just an HR-16.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:23 am

My first synth of my own was my desktop Evolver which I still have (about 4 years old I think) but I just bought a MEK so I might have to sell off the old one.

I had access to a whole lot of synths before that through my bandmates though, and we've still go them all except for a Farfisa organ which we sold.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:32 am

Moog Rogue for me. Sold it to upgrade to a Voyager. The Voyager is now history too.

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:49 am

First real synth that I actually owned (I don't count the SK-1) was an XP-50 that I bought new in 1996. I still have it, but am probably going to part with it soon since I don't use it much these days.

Before that the gear I really got started on was an ESQ-1, an HR-16, and a Siel DK-70.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:02 pm

My first synth was a Jen SX1000 which I bought for £70 in 1983.
Sold it to a friend a few years later,to fund purchase of a Mono/Poly,later that was stolen en route to my London flat by couriers!
Really wish I still had the Jen,but wouldn't part with anything else now!
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:07 pm

My first real synth was a Kawai K-1. Prior to that I had two Casio keyboards, a MT-18 and a SK-100. I sold my K-1 to make space and got a K-1r to replace it. I still have it. I honestly don't use it a whole lot anymore but I still keep it.
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Jup 8. I saved for a year and a half for it when I was 16. Had to sell it later when I got divorced. Always regretted it and picked up my second one a few years back.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:07 pm

My first one was a Korg M1 back in 1996. It was the only synth I played, used and perused for the next few years and therefore I was happily ignoring essential features like portamento or resonance.

I'm surprised though that no-one else had the M1 as their first synth.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

crow

Post by crow » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Naw. Pity. Bought Korg MS10 in 1978 when it came out. Sold it to some f**k hippy throwback. He probably planted lentils and marijuana in it.
Shame.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

route_electrique
Gear: Clavia Nordlead 2 | Clavia Nord Modular G1 | Waldorf Microwave XT (30 Voice) |
Band: waveformbakery

Post by route_electrique » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:25 am

Nope. Sold Moog Prodigy to get hands on Clavia Nord Lead 2 (which i still use on every project).
| Fact is, your are going to get bent over by a Record Company..... its just how far, how long and if you let them decide to use vaseline or not." -Unknown |
_
http://www.waveformbakery.com [coming in Q3!]

Five

Post by Five » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:07 am

my first was a microkorg....lame. then i learned analog was the only way to go...started off with an arp solus and went from there

differentbydesign

Post by differentbydesign » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:10 pm

Korg MS10 which I bought in about 1982 and sold in about 1995 when It was worth a whole lot more than I paid for it in 82.
Yes I regret selling it but am not about to buy it back at todays prices.
Bought a Juno 60 at almost the same time but sold it when MIDI became a requirement in my rig. Also regret selling it ever since.

After selling these an OB-XA a Micromoog and others I now have a no exception policy of never selling anything musical !!!!

Ross
UF6, Pro 2K, 6 Tracks, SQR, DX-9, JV-880, JV-1080, MKS-70 , NI FM-7&8,Battery 3,Pro53,Absynth 4 Arturia MOOG Modular,2600V,CS-80 V, Minimoog V, Legacy Collection, RGC Pentagon,VirSyn Tera, Sonar 6.2, , Synth 1, MOTU Microlite, D-70, RX-11,Roland MC-500

teknosmoker

Post by teknosmoker » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Yamaha DX-7II FD with Grey Matter E! board & an E-MU Proformance 1+ (old piano sound module). Bough them from a co-worker because I could not afford a piano and wanted something portable as well. Used them to play with a psychedelic jam-band.

The E-mu died while in storage and I sold the DX-7 around 1990.

-T
TR-909, SH-101, Jupiter-6, Juno 106, ATC-Xi, Microwave 1, FS1R, TX81Z, Odyssey, K2000, Wavestation A/D, E6400 Ultra, MPC 2000XL, Mutator, MF-101, MF-103, Frostwave Resonator, DSP7000, PCM-91, Fireworx, D-Two, DP/4+, MacPro Quad, Logic Pro.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Nope. My SK-1 is long gone. I'd love to have another one but not at the prices they go for on Ebay now.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS