Cheap "Van Halen" Synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Cheap "Van Halen" Synth?

Post by Box » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:02 pm

I know that Van Halen used an Oberheim OB-Xa and OB-8, but the point of this thread is that I'm nowhere near being able to afford even half of one. I was just curious if there were any cheap synths out there than can sound like an Oberheim, mainly what was used on Van Halen albums. I know I have the Ion, but if only sorta sounds like one. Whatever I do with it I can't get the sounds quite exact to what it's suppossed to be, "Jump" is a good example. I actually managed a better "Jump" sound from the Poly-800. If anyone knows of something that fits my description please let me know. Thank you in advance. :)
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:51 pm

Man, you do love that sound!

Novation Supernova II does the sound VERY well (you could buy an OB for that price), but in all honesty... any VA will get you there. The ION should get you really close. Saw waves, fairly bright filter, little EG depth mod, quick attack times on OSC and filter, and quick release time.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 pm

The Roland JX-3P can do an okay Jump sound but lacks a bit of oomph compared to the OB I think.

The ESQ-1 can probably do a damn good one as it uses CEM filters.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:29 pm

my esq-1 has a patch called jump...there is one called obx something too.

i would assume an sq-80 would do the same as it is the make after esq-1

esq-1 rocks the faces beyond that sound too

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:03 pm

maindeglorie wrote:The ION should get you really close.
Start with Blue:060 & maybe mix it up with Green:050
Last edited by Uncle Screwtape on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Here's my attempt at the Jump sound with the ESQ-1

I think the digital envelopes aren't fast enough to convey the "snap" of the original sound, but otherwise it comes reasonably close IMO.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:19 pm

I can get a sound fairly close on the Ion but it's not "bright" enough. And by bright filter I guess you mean a high cutoff freguency? Anywho, thanks for the demo OriginalJambo, that sounded quite close to the original. Are the Ensoniq ESQ-1 synths going to cost me an arm and leg though? :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:22 pm

Box wrote:I can get a sound fairly close on the Ion but it's not "bright" enough. And by bright filter I guess you mean a high cutoff freguency? Anywho, thanks for the demo OriginalJambo, that sounded quite close to the original. Are the Ensoniq ESQ-1 synths going to cost me an arm and leg though? :P
shouldn't.

they go for around 200.

they have good sequencers in them too.

all you may need to do is put a new battery in which is an easy soldering task.

the esq-m is the rackmount version sans the sequencer

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:20 am

I'm not trying to have a dig at people's musical taste here but I'm just wondering what the appeal of 'Jump' is?

Before I got into synths, it allways struck me as a shallow and cheesily commercial song created to give the vocalist a chance to do some star-jumps.

What am I missing?

Or please tell me to stick my head back up my rear-end.

Dano

Post by Dano » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:03 am

OriginalJambo wrote:Here's my attempt at the Jump sound with the ESQ-1

I think the digital envelopes aren't fast enough to convey the "snap" of the original sound, but otherwise it comes reasonably close IMO.
I won't swear to whether or not this is accurate but there are sites on the internet that say the ESQ has analog envelopes. :dontknow:

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:27 am

Arddhu wrote:I'm not trying to have a dig at people's musical taste here but I'm just wondering what the appeal of 'Jump' is?

Before I got into synths, it allways struck me as a shallow and cheesily commercial song created to give the vocalist a chance to do some star-jumps.

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything in my opinion. But for a lot of people, it's THAT synth sound. People need/love to have that sound, even if it's not the kind of music they're into.

I have a sound like that, but I won't reveal it. :lol:

BTW Arddhu, I was checking out your music the other day, and it's really awesome. I want it on disc!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:39 am

Dano wrote:I won't swear to whether or not this is accurate but there are sites on the internet that say the ESQ has analog envelopes. :dontknow:
I thought this too at one point, but I'm pretty sure it has digital envelopes for voltage controlled (and therefore analogue) amplifiers.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:42 am

Box wrote:I can get a sound fairly close on the Ion but it's not "bright" enough. And by bright filter I guess you mean a high cutoff freguency? Anywho, thanks for the demo OriginalJambo, that sounded quite close to the original. Are the Ensoniq ESQ-1 synths going to cost me an arm and leg though? :P
I used to have an Ion and I never felt it did "bright" sounds very well at all - it has a muddy quality to my ears.

The ESQ-1 is one of the cheapest synths you can buy - probably $200 around your parts and it has 3 DGOs, 4 ENVs, 3 LFOs and 8 note poly. All with real analogue CEM filters.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:37 am

Arddhu wrote:I'm not trying to have a dig at people's musical taste here but I'm just wondering what the appeal of 'Jump' is?

What am I missing?

"Jump" was just for example. I want a synth that can cover all Van Halen tracks, so I practically want an Oberheim doppleganger that won't break my wallet.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:58 am

Idk, I may have to get an Ensoniq ESQ-1 now... I was also thinking Roland JX-3P. But is Ensoniq DCO like JX-3P or is it digital generated waveforms like the Korg DW series? Maybe I can find one from Guitar Center cheap... Happy Birthday to Me!... :occasion4:

P.S. Don't you need cartridges to store patches? Also, is there a mono mode?