Losing my fight with my obsession!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jplavidfan
Gear: AX60, Ion, VFX, MS2000, Poly 800 MkII, Privia, Juno 60, Motif 6 Loaded, MiniCompact, Kurzweil K2V3, Minimoog D, Mtron, Virtual Synth

Losing my fight with my obsession!

Post by jplavidfan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:53 am

OK. I thought my collection would keep my attention, even through surgery to my right hand, which is recovering. I still have a jones for the following in good or great condition:

Polysix
Mono Poly
JP800
JD8000
Anything else that is similar except the AN1X (I have the Motif Board) and less than $750 on the open market.

It is easy to tell I am still drooling on the early 80's to early 90's knobby boards, no? My AX60/Juno 60 are great, but I see these people around here with the above 4, and if I had to pick one, I don't know which is coolest.

Which one will satisfy my lust and why? Damned if I know. Like the cop said, "You tell me."

Christmas is coming and not one soul but me will buy me one of these.

Merry Freakin' Christmas to me!

jpl
MS2000 - Nord Lead - Alesis Ion - Juno 60 - DX7 - MG1 - VFX - MTron - Motif 6 w/PLG150AN - Poly800 Mk II - AX60 - Privia - MiniCompact - Yamaha DGX500 - Hiwatt Theremin

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:06 am

I lost that fight the moment I got the Ion inhouse. I had NO synths then. Look at my collection now. It's sickening :P

I kind of long back to those childhood days when I only had a big 2-manual electric organ. I played the s**t out of that thing (a late 80's PCM-based Technics organ), used all the sounds to the fullest, and played dozens of hit pop songs in my sleep.

Now all I can muster up is a cool filter sweep if my friends ask me to "play something". It's sad. I have all this insane gear, but can't play a Beatles song to save my life anymore. On the organ, all I'd do is hit the correct rythm on the rythm box, choose nice sounds and play chords and melodies on the fly. With all these synths I have to layer and MIDI and whatnot to do the very same thing.
Last edited by Bitexion on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:11 am

I think you need a monosynth next.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:40 am

When you have The Obsession (aka GAS) nothing will cure it. Not even synths that cost thousands of dollars.
Look at those poor guitarists that have a room full of 100 guitars. They need help.

You'd think I'd be happy when I got the Andromeda..yeah, for two weeks maybe, then I'd start lusting for some vintage machine I'd see in ads again. Or a modular system. Now that I have that, I just want to expand it and expand it forever.

I'm betting my left nutsack that I'll be lusting for a Jupiter-8 if I ever get my hands on the much-wanted Prophet 5.

The mono/poly seems really good when you see the long narrated videos posted by Automatic Gainsay here:

(pt 1)
(pt 2)
Last edited by Bitexion on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:46 am

nothing will stop the GAS, but the mono/poly may hold you off for a bit. it's a great monosynth, but kinda average as a poly. it has a good sonic range, and the FM is cool, but hard to control. i was GASsing for a little phatty (and still am) when i was given the mono/poly, it helped with the GAS for a bit...
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:24 am

Andromeda is what calls out to me in my sleep at night !! I'm just worried about that bad batch that's floating around.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:54 am

I think the Mono/poly will be enough for a while, but your decease wont be cured.

The two synths that made me stop gas-ing for the longest time is the old Minimoog & the jupiter-8.

A Moog modular will cure anything.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:32 am

Funny to see that I'm not the only one...

I think I have all I neet to spend the rest of my life playing... but I'm always looking for something new... my wife will shot me if I buy another synth or any kind of metallic box doing noises. I' m SURE I have all I need... If I start asking myself what I need more... I stay locked and nothing comes to my mind... (well... a V-Synth???) but this is GAS. Sometimes think to ppl that can't buy what we have...

My way to stop GAS is switching on the Andromeda. This thing is incredible... I always find something new to learn... and it drives me to a new kind of sound. It's like having a new toy everytime you start scratching it's surface.
Really.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:05 pm

I got a Mono/Poly last week and it did not stop the GAS. I love it, can say enough good, but I want more.

Anything with patch storage is better at curring GAS than something without. I hate to mess up great patches once dialed in which means without patch storage I need another synth to play with.

GAS is a chronic disease.

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 pm

yeah, I'm in the same boat..
I need (not want, NEEEEED) an MS-20, MINI D, etc, etc, blah blah, blah..
the list is endless...

I have a nice lil job I'm working on here that will get me the MS-20 shortly!
and then it'll be Kraft Dinner for Christmas

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:54 pm

also, at the top of the list.. an SH-101.. I've bought 2 so far (cheap cheap) and both have been fuxxed beyond repair...
I'm going to shell out for the next one..

or maybe an SH-09.. or.. hmmm

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:28 pm

Yeah. I got the bug, too. I've been selling off all of my old hobbies to fund my GAS. It seems the more I experience different gear, the more I want to try other stuff.

Every "new" piece brings something else to the table and I say "What else is out there?"
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:37 pm

When I started out I was patiently waiting for the right synth to appear on the Bay at the right price. The result: a Mono/Poly and two ARPs (Oddy & Axxe) in 12 months. Suddenly I realised I need new synths more regularly and at shorter intervals than that. The result: I started looking for cheap late 80s/ early 90s classics in the local ads and added a D-50 and an EPS-16+ at less than half the cost than that of my least expencive previous purchase for both of them together. This happened within one month and I'm already jonesing for a new cheapie. Anyone recognise this syndrome/phase of our mutual addiction? How should we label such behaviour?
Oh and by the way, the Mono/Poly makes a great purchase, but as stated elsewhere, it won't cure you! :wink:
Last edited by gfriden on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:48 pm

gfriden wrote:When I started out I was patiently waiting for the right synth to appear on the Bay at the right price. The result: a Mono/Poly and two ARPs (Oddy & Axxe) in 12 months. Suddenly I realised I need new synths more regularly and at shorter intervals than that. The result: I started looking for cheap late 80s/ early 90s classics in the local ads and added a D-50 and an EPS-16+ at less than half the cost than that of my least expencive previous purchase for both of them together. This happened within one month and I'm already jonesing for a new cheapie. Enyone recognise this syndrome/phase of our mutual addiction? How should we label such behaviour?
Oh and by the way, the Mono/Poly makes a great purchase, but as stated elsewhere, it won't cure you! :wink:
I find that getting an awesome deal on a cool synth only intensifies my lust for more synths... my brain thinking, if I found this for so little, maybe I can find blah blah blah for cheap too... so I scour Kijiji, Craigslist, Bargain Finder, Auctions, ebay all the time now..
my GF thinks I'm nutz.

and I'm still hugely in love with the MonoPoly... it's awesome! A great way to temporarily slake the synth lust. I'm actually thinking of getting another because my road unit is getting thoroughly trashed

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:51 pm

I wonder if there's a 12 step program for synth addicts... and no, I don't mean the 12 notes in an octave either! :shock:

They are worse than heroin. You get your first, then your second, and so forth and so on until you hit rock bottom (or run out of room/money, or your spouse kicks you and your synths out onto the street)...

My Microkorg got me started on my latest kick. I thought something small and cheap would be satisfactory, but no, it's was just a gateway...
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda