Sounds from an Oberheim OB-X

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JJQ

Post by JJQ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:52 pm

Wonderfull soundfile... :)

And to iProg & redfurniture, Jam has both the Xpander and a single SEM for sale in stockholm. Expensive of course. I bought mine Xpander in Tjockhult last year.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 pm

Are 80% of the OB-X presets brass sounds? They sound great, just surprised that so much of your demo was brass.

Goes into my "Synth demos" folder :)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:25 am

for me, that is one of top three analog polys of ALL time. beautiful.

other two would be the "blade runner" and "rio" machines :wink:

on a related note; after tryin for months, i persuaded wes@analogics to sell me his last 2 voiceboards, and i have finally turned my 6- into an 8-voice OB-X. thought it would never happen. 2wks ago i got encore midi too, from Tony. Greg Montalbano is installing all of this, as we speak. dmn cant wait... these demos only put more gas on the flame.

Heath thanks for the demos, and of chroma and cs too. nice work.

@JMP: OBXa cannot sound exactly like this. i feel its too agressive, cutting for this kind of cholesterol. which is again an advantage for some other sounds.

i wish xpander werent mared by aging encoders n display. id get one in a snap. i love the sound. but feel they're a bit pricey for such a dicey long term proposition. i have no fear running x and xa in yrs to come.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:35 am

clusterchord wrote:for me, that is one of top three analog polys of ALL time. beautiful.

And Heath owns those also. Lucky bastard! :wink:

WD

clusterchord

Post by clusterchord » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:50 am

WDW wrote:
clusterchord wrote:for me, that is one of top three analog polys of ALL time. beautiful.

And Heath owns those also. Lucky bastard! :wink:

WD
he has a perfect setup now. i still miss a Chroma.

GregM has just finished working on my CS. it needed minor tune up and fixin a dead voice. and now he needs a week on obx to change trimmers and thats it.. and so, next month or so im crating, putting both in a joint container n shipping overseas w Schenker. so ill have my dream trio soon too. :wink:

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:43 am

And you're a lucky bastard, too, Cluster! :lol:

WD

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:22 am

clusterchord wrote:@JMP: OBXa cannot sound exactly like this. i feel its too agressive, cutting for this kind of cholesterol. which is again an advantage for some other sounds.
Interesting... by only having a Matrix 1000 so far in the Oberheim world I should still be pleased with it, hopefully. It will be a shame to get it 100% only to gas for an OBX instead ! and little chance of finding one of those....

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:08 pm

I must say there are no comparisons to the Obie. there have been great synths in the last 30 or so years, but nothing can compete with the Oberhiem.

I love the fact when you bought a synth from back then. Whether it be an OBX or a Polysix or a Jupiter 8....they all had their own distinct sounds. There were no cookie cutter synths. The companies were in direct compatition to be original and to stand out from the crowd.

I can always tell the Obies from the others. I can always count on being amazed at the smooth tones and interesting filters. Really brings back memories for me.

Thanks for posting this It really is a great demo.

Sonny
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

japan

Post by japan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:45 pm

even although the OB-X is a wonderful synth, only lately I have seen some recognition to this piece of art...I'm after an OB-X right now, and i hope i could play the OB very soon...well, I'm a big fan of Japan, and, because of that, I just love the OB-X, and the Prophets-5...the difference between these monsters is that while the SCI is in the stardom, and it's a "mainstream" synth, the OB-X is a rare and a relatively unknown synth, and maybe that is the reason why, in addition to its sound, i choose this synth as "my life synth"...thanks H.Finn, your demo is a great example of the power of the original OB...wish me luck, i've been waiting for ages...

Japan...from Chile!

PD: i have my PG-800 righ now! my JX10 is much more alive now! ^^
it was very hard to find, but it worths the effort!
"the simple life is no longer there..."

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:25 pm

O.K. Heath. You've made your demo;you can now send the OBX south to me :wink: :wink:

All in all, still a beautiful sounding poly.Maybe some day.....
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

clusterchord

Post by clusterchord » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:33 pm

japan wrote:well, I'm a big fan of Japan, and, because of that, I just love the OB-X, and the Prophets-5...the difference between these monsters is that while the SCI is in the stardom, and it's a "mainstream" synth,
japan fan here too 8) . i got a mini "sylvian/barbieri" setup with rev2 prophet and obx. tho my first fascination wth rev2 sound came with incredible Peter Gabriel III album (the melting face cover) - unison leads with filter fm via polymod. fighting ewith david rhodes fuzzy guitars. fantastic.. they also used a rev3 on PGIV, but im less fond of that sound.

ob-x is THE pad/string/brass machine. actually i feel it does most bread n butter polyanalog sounds better than most other polys. always thought its basically an lowpass-only OB 8-Voice in a smaller housing, w better tuning and working memory - i never played the 4/8-voice so i'm glad hfinn confirmed something along these lines..