What do we want next from Dave Smith?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pete

What do we want next from Dave Smith?

Post by Pete » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:19 am

These threads seem to make dreams come true, so I guess we should do them more often. The Prophet 08 and the Boom Chik...

I say, 2 vco mono and an 8 voice sampler with analog filters. Basically, a Prophet 08 with samples playback instead of DCOs, and one with 2 VCOs instead of 16 DCOs. It seems like the sampler could be made with parts already used in the Prophet and the Boom Chik.

Your thoughts?

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:30 am

A whole workstation a la fairlight :)
Dedicated effects box?
with analog filters
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

crow

Post by crow » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:33 am

Dont dream. Just get one. Live that dream and then you can "progress".
f**k h**l. It aint Hollywood. It aint I.B. f**k M. It aint no big business. Its one clever guy and a few close cohorts.
Give them a f**k break eh? :evil:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: What do we want next from Dave Smith?

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:41 am

Pete wrote:These threads seem to make dreams come true, so I guess we should do them more often. The Prophet 08 and the Boom Chik...

I say, 2 vco mono and an 8 voice sampler with analog filters. Basically, a Prophet 08 with samples playback instead of DCOs, and one with 2 VCOs instead of 16 DCOs. It seems like the sampler could be made with parts already used in the Prophet and the Boom Chik.

Your thoughts?
I say Dave Smith should take on Moog once and for all time. A 3 VCO minimoog/voyager- killer complete with most of the great features of the MEK...4 LFO's, insane modulation matrix, multitrack sequencer etc. It should also have a ribbon controller And it should be called the Infinity.

That or he could just rehash the pro one and actually make it with a good build quality and lots of flashing leds.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:40 am

crow wrote:Dont dream. Just get one. Live that dream and then you can "progress".
f**k h**l. It aint Hollywood. It aint I.B. f**k M. It aint no big business. Its one clever guy and a few close cohorts.
Uhh, I think you misunderstood. I am asking what product we hope Dave will make next. I very much intend to get a Prophet 08 and possibly a Boomchik when it finally arrives.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:50 am

I'll go simple on this one and just say that I'd love to see a rack/desktop version of the 08.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:53 am

At least he's said several times in interviews that he is not interested in "remaking" one of his older classics like the Pro-One.
The Pro08 is so much more than the Prophet5 that it cannot be regarded as a simple remake.

crow

Post by crow » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 am

Pete wrote:
crow wrote:Dont dream. Just get one. Live that dream and then you can "progress".
Uhh, I think you misunderstood. I am asking what product we hope Dave will make next. I very much intend to get a Prophet 08 and possibly a Boomchik when it finally arrives.
No I did not. Think about it. Read the f**k post. S L O W L Y if it helps. I hate this f**k next next next attitude. No wonder we have shagged the f**k world up the arsepiece and whispered; "Did you enjoy the pain ?"
Thank f**k Beethoven and Wagner never had Pro Tools; or Cubase or a Prophet 8; or even a public that could voice their opinion every f**k minute, without though of what the opinion actually entails.
Yes f**k it, a Prophet 601, except this time, thats the number of oscillators. All analogue.
Sexy number non ?? :evil:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 am

crow wrote: No I did not. Think about it. Read the f**k post. S L O W L Y if it helps. I hate this f**k next next next attitude. No wonder we have shagged the f**k world up the arsepiece and whispered; "Did you enjoy the pain ?"
Thank f**k Beethoven and Wagner never had Pro Tools; or Cubase or a Prophet 8; or even a public that could voice their opinion every f**k minute, without though of what the opinion actually entails.
Yes f**k it, a Prophet 601, except this time, thats the number of oscillators. All analogue.
I take it you are both a very stupid, as well as angry person. I am sad for you. If every one was like you we wouldn't have a forum or synths to discuss.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:18 am

At least a 4 voice poly evolver in a small box with lots of knobs and at least 4 tracks of sequencing. Like the Monomachine...but made by DSI.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:29 am

I'd love to see a modern version of a Pro-One myself, but the P08 does look pretty fantastic!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 am

Pete wrote:
crow wrote: No I did not. Think about it. Read the f**k post. S L O W L Y if it helps. I hate this f**k next next next attitude. No wonder we have shagged the f**k world up the arsepiece and whispered; "Did you enjoy the pain ?"
I take it you are both a very stupid, as well as angry person. I am sad for you. If every one was like you we wouldn't have a forum or synths to discuss.
for once I agree with crow-this whole post is a loaded question. We heard it here first when the Pro8 was released, and before it was even available, people were slagging it. What was that, a couple months ago? And now we are wondering "what will be next?"

and frankly, the ideas I've all heard so far = an all analogue MEK, or some variation of... not exactly original or likely.
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:32 am

Modern Pro-one for sure and a nicely priced desktop version ala the DEVO.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:33 am

Forums also mean that people have different opinions, Pete. Just because you don't like crow's opinion, doesn't mean he has to leave to make the world a better place.

You say with people like him there would be no forums and no synths?
What's the point of a discussion forum if everyone are just licking eachothers backs all the time in perfect beautiful harmony?

Oh, and scots are supposed to be angry. Nothing more pleasing than hearing an angry scot go on a tantrum.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:43 am

Bitexion wrote:Oh, and scots are supposed to be angry. Nothing more pleasing than hearing an angry scot go on a tantrum.
Mind that some may be, but not all are. ;)