What do we want next from Dave Smith?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 am

Hes built a mono, and two completely different polys, since all the current gear has plenty of filtering capabilities, a standalone filter isnt that important.

All thats missing from the typical gear setup is a drum machine/sequencer, which is on its way,

I think he should work on an analogue/digital mixing desk of some kind, with CEM filter/s per channel. Theres too much equipment around, we need something unique to mix it all on.

I think its strange to suddenly start asking what DSI in particular should do next, and no ones really suggested anything new, just different versions of what exists already, but I guess its just because they are one company of a small few that is willing to listen.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:18 am

What will the Boom Chik set us back?

It seems to me like the ultimate drummachine, on paper that is.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:29 am

Dave Smith said there looking at around $1000-$1500, but maybe it could be more,

I think most of the hype about this machine has come from hearsay, DSI and Linn havent really said much else about it, other than the initial announcement.

I have my own dreams of it being the ultimate sequencer, with some excellent 'new' sounds, but we'll just have to see I guess.

As long as they stray from 909/808 it should be good. Im tired of roland emulators.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:59 am

I think a mid priced poly analogue would be nice-to make analogue more in the grasp of the lower end of the market. Something a la Prophet 600/Matrix 6. That would take on VAs a bit more and increase visibility of analogue synths-which seem to be know as the preserve for the rich-when that isnt really the case....its just you cant buy NEW polyphonic analogue keyboards cheaply....(Evolver desk/mfb still being boutique mono modules)

It doesnt seem like this post was a demand from Pete for Dave Smith to go to work-just a chat about what might come next. Besides-I think DS would love the fact his company is hot stuff at the mo and synth enthusiats are chomping at the bit for new products! This is a space for synth enthusiasts to chat for fun isnt it?
No I did not. Think about it. Read the f**k post. S L O W L Y if it helps. I hate this f**k next next next attitude. No wonder we have shagged the f**k world up the arsepiece and whispered; "Did you enjoy the pain ?"
Oh, and scots are supposed to be angry. Nothing more pleasing than hearing an angry scot go on a tantrum.
I can see how it might come across as quaint - however I for one am getting increasingly tired of these obscene rants. I find them offensive and unnecessary-and the tone and language for the most part unjustifiable-apart from the fact that 'he is scottish'. That of course-is no justification. Well none of my Scottish friends communicate like that. The first time I found it funny. Now I find it plain old rude.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:19 am

I would like to see some kind of sampler/grain/wavetable/vector synth. Maybe it could have a touch pad and some hot keys instead of rows of knobs.

And I like Stab Frenzy's idea.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:29 am

JackAstro wrote:I would like to see some kind of sampler/grain/wavetable/vector synth. Maybe it could have a touch pad and some hot keys instead of rows of knobs.

And I like Stab Frenzy's idea.
I didnt think there would be so many suggestions for mainly digital synths, Im open to a hybrid, but I dont like VA synths usually, theres something about the sound of some that I dont like.

I think the reason Im not really down with straight digital synths is because most overlap in what they offer, and a lot not only produce the same sounds, but have the same acoustic presence.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:35 am

a mono synth called the Pro Eight i would put money on, an analog monosynth with the P08 sound by DSI would be huge business- especially if he adds a third oscillator. (i really hope they are writing that last part down)

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:00 pm

I'm probably going to get bashed for this... But I think he should start making software again as well as hardware... Mostly, a software emulation of the prophet VS. Because arturia's is c**p. It's a decent prophet 5 inspired VA synth (though unfortunately dongled, which is a big "f**k you" to anyone who wants to take it live with a laptop and doesn't want to drag a USB hub along... So I'll pass) but the prophet VS and hybrid modes are buggy as h**l... The prophet VS filters in it are broken and sound awful, and they promised to fix it by the end of summer and didn't.

So yeah. DSI Prophet VS in software would be pretty awesome... Though I imagine he could create a pretty nice unique software synth that isn't an emulation as well.

jko

Post by jko » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:01 pm

kuroichi wrote: but I guess its just because they are one company of a small few that is willing to listen.
yes ; I think what's most striking about DSI at the moment is how much more conspicuously responsive they are to what their buyers are asking for from various competitors big or small, which is what makes this thread very understandable, and may also be partly why the PO8 has made such an impact so far.

Personally I think a cut-down version of the PO8 , with fewer voices, a different architecture and streamlined features, might be a very good move that could please lower-mid-end synthists as much as the po8 has the higher end.

I also agree with several others on here who've previously made the more left-field and unorthodox suggestion that it would be nice to see the first new proper dedicated 'string synth' for 25 years, in some new hybrid form ; considering both the level of interest there still is in this area of analog sound on the second-hand market depite the lack of new products ; and the wide demand for pristine digital strings. The right adventurous & versatile analog/digital blend here , of high enough quality, could actually interest both that fair base of people still seeking out analog 'stringers', and the larger market seeking out high quality digital string ROM, sometimes buying high-end workstations only for that purpose.
Last edited by jko on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Good post, I think to combine a string synth with the new technology could lead to something quite unique.

Maybe theyre could be a cut-down P08, maybe a mono, or even duophonic synth could go down well, I would take a keen interest in that.

Needless to say Im a drum machine kinda guy, so Im currently waiting for the boomchik, however Im always interested in companies like DSI, as at the moment they are the only ones many of us can rely on so far as representing consumer need, as well as introducing something new.

And DSI and a small number of others are the minority (in my opinion) that actually make professional equipment that is reasonably priced. Alot of companies nowadays are making you pay a lot for a pile of plastic.

Meso
Gear: Roland MV-8800, DSI MEK, Novation KS-4, Waldorf µwave XT, FutureRetro Revolution

Post by Meso » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:03 pm

What I want next from DSI is the Boom chika chik chik. :D

I have tried all the DSI stuff except the Poly evo and they are all awesome,
I can't wait for that Boom Chik, hope it will be reasonably priced though.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:10 pm

As allready said; I'd love an affordable, polyphonic, all-digital Evolver in a small keyboard format.
If you had a VA in it with all your regular waves plus the VS waves it would blow the skirts up of most people looking at Korg Radii and other mod-sequencing beasties methinks.

T'would be grand!

electronique

Post by electronique » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:26 pm

i_watch_stars wrote:
Jazzpunk wrote:I'll go simple on this one and just say that I'd love to see a rack/desktop version of the 08.
YES.
+ 11

I would love to see a rack version of the P'08..

But not a single 1RU unit like the PolyEvolver.. Im wanting something with knobs.. 3/4RU, that is rack, that can also be placed on the tabletop.

P'08R - With Knobs!!!
Sonar 7 | M-Audio Delta1010 | Tascam US2400 | DSI PolyEvolver Rack | Akai S612 | Roland V-Synth XT | Roland D110 | Akai MPC1000 (soon!!)

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Pete wrote:I say, 2 vco mono and an 8 voice sampler with analog filters. Basically, a Prophet 08 with samples playback instead of DCOs, and one with 2 VCOs instead of 16 DCOs. It seems like the sampler could be made with parts already used in the Prophet and the Boom Chik.
veer chasm wrote:I'd like a very modern prophet 2000. Analog controls: lot's of knobs. Real time time stretching and compressing capabilities. User loadable waveforms/samples. Bring back waveform drawing with a touch pad. Surprise us Dave. I guess it's not likely since the original sold poorly.
+1 for the hybrid sampler idea. Something that would compete with the Nord Wave, but would offer actual sampling (not just wave loading) and some basic wave editing. Eight voices, VCFs, & VCAs. The DSI step sequencer. An instrument that would encourage sampling as synthesis rather than sampling as sample-library playback.

But of course, this is just fun wishful thinking, not something to which I expect DSI to pay any attention. The BoomChik isn't even out yet, so we've yet to see exactly how they'll implement their next idea or what innovations they're making. Whatever comes of it, DSI is a company that I trust to make interesting instruments that will fit nicely into the market.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:42 pm

A knobby sampler/synth with anlog filters and a lot of memory on-board would make my day.