Yamaha AN1x.....Just bought one. Thoughts?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Yamaha AN1x.....Just bought one. Thoughts?

Post by sonny1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:57 am

I've just bought a Yamaha AN1X (1997). Why have I not heard of this machine? I think it's a very good attempt by Yamaha to give real time control of a digital modeler. I've only had it for two days and have run thru it's presets....I think it's quite possibly the most astonishing little keyboard yamaha has come out with scince the DX 7. Looking for opinions...tricks and tips.

I'll have a sample song up soon on my Myspace...

myspace.com/thememphiskid1

Thanks
Sonny!
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:32 am

Get Studio Manager and the An1x editor. You won't be sorry. It's a great sounding VA and I always miss the one I use to own a few years back.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:56 am

The AN1X has unfortunately ruined all other VA synths for me - I am absolutely in love with the sound (not that it has only one sound, it's incredibly flexible) of that thing.
My only complaints are that the aftertouch sucks and that I've got one of the versions that crackles and pops for the first 2 minutes it's turned on when both scenes are engaged.
I'm going to go touch it now...

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.

Post by sonny1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:09 am

gordwiebe wrote:The AN1X has unfortunately ruined all other VA synths for me - I am absolutely in love with the sound (not that it has only one sound, it's incredibly flexible) of that thing.
My only complaints are that the aftertouch sucks and that I've got one of the versions that crackles and pops for the first 2 minutes it's turned on when both scenes are engaged.
I'm going to go touch it now...
Well, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...I bought it on a whim...I just saw it sitting there at a pawn shop put some head phones on and by the time I reached the 2nd preset I called the manager over and said wrap it up! I can't wait until I get the editor for it.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

sonny1

Post by sonny1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:11 am

AudiosEnvy wrote:Get Studio Manager and the An1x editor. You won't be sorry. It's a great sounding VA and I always miss the one I use to own a few years back.
Thanks !!! Man, I really love this site. All you guys are great.

Sonny

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Yamaha AN1x.....Just bought one. Thoughts?

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:29 am

sonny1 wrote:I think it's quite possibly the most astonishing little keyboard yamaha has come out with scince the DX 7. Looking for opinions...tricks and tips.
It's the best and the one and only Yamaha's dedicated Virtual Analog Keyboard up to 2008! Download these files for more tips and sounds.
http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/an1x/s_guide.htm
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:15 am

Yep, we're an awesome bunch here. Keep that in mind :)

sonny1

Re: Yamaha AN1x.....Just bought one. Thoughts?

Post by sonny1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:17 am

crystalmsc wrote:
sonny1 wrote:I think it's quite possibly the most astonishing little keyboard yamaha has come out with scince the DX 7. Looking for opinions...tricks and tips.
It's the best and the one and only Yamaha's dedicated Virtual Analog Keyboard up to 2008! Download these files for more tips and sounds.
http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/an1x/s_guide.htm

Thanks....I'm a live player and have been wanting a "newer" synth that would emulate to some degree of accuracy the old Prophets and Moogs, and Korgs. We do a live version of South Side of the Sky by Yes and I gotta tell you playing this little Yamaha gives me a sense of security, as well as accuracy of tone.

Electronics are fickle and newer is usually better. Not in sound but in being dependable. I would much rather have something that will take a bit of a beating on stage than a heavy, Self detuning, expensive, vintage synth. I leave that to the studio.

My rig is now A roland JV-1000, Alesis QS6, and this little Yamaha. It's a bit better than my Triton and my K2000s. I leave those monsters in the studio now.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:09 am

It is an easily overlooked yet great sounding performance synth, one I will not part with ever again if I don't have to. I recently posted a song in the Listening Lounge here featuring one of my favorite tweaked out patches and arped sequences from an AN1X. Check it out if you get time. Its much more capable than what I did too, my favorite VA/Analog Modeler. Reminds me, where has Elmo been lately?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Hundreds of patches available at the Yahoo AN1X User's Group.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:47 pm

its a pretty good VA for its age. I'm not terribly impressed by the featureset... I'm sure the free EG would be a lot more impressive if I had access to the software editor... Which I don't, since I'm fairly sure a mac OSX version was never made.

Overall I'd say its a pretty good synth for how much it fetches second hand...

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Why is an1x so cheap ?

-Failure of marketing strategies by brains at Yamaha ?
-Ignorance of masses ?
-Noone f**k ridiculously famous used it ?
-It was expensive but dropped price due to some...s**t happening wherever ?

When I was buying my AN1x it was a miracle I even found one. They were so 'hidden' somewhere out there and unexplored and thus resented (if something is unexplored and not popular, people are afraid of investing in it).

Today it's so f**k'n great, woohoo !!! :lol: :o :cheers: \:D/ :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani:

PS. take away 2 years from my "today". Here the trends show up and catch more or less with 2 year delay in relation to the "developed western societies". The things that are cool out there now, are gonna be cool and revered only after 2 years' time at my place.

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:23 pm

I keep thinking I should get one. The AN1x is the main reason why I did not by a REALLY cheap CS1x or a CS2x that were up for auction recently. So what's the difference between those two and the AN1x that says one shold get the latter before the two CS's? (To wit, why five stars to the AN and only four to the CS's?) Enlighten me please...
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

sonny1

Post by sonny1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:08 pm

gfriden wrote:I keep thinking I should get one. The AN1x is the main reason why I did not by a REALLY cheap CS1x or a CS2x that were up for auction recently. So what's the difference between those two and the AN1x that says one shold get the latter before the two CS's? (To wit, why five stars to the AN and only four to the CS's?) Enlighten me please...
I played the CS in the stores when it was new....I dunno. it was a solid sounding synth with lots of pretty cool presets. I never owned one and unfortunately can't give a real life comparison, but I've read that one of the big differences is that the AN has a real time save. So you can record the knob twists that you make during session and recall them exactly as you played it the first time. I've not begun to venture into this aspect of the AN, if it's easy to do...(which most times Yamaha pulls thru with ease of use) It will be invaluable to me. I think I'm gonna be playing this little guy for years to come.

sonny1

Post by sonny1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Zamise wrote:It is an easily overlooked yet great sounding performance synth, one I will not part with ever again if I don't have to. I recently posted a song in the Listening Lounge here featuring one of my favorite tweaked out patches and arped sequences from an AN1X. Check it out if you get time. Its much more capable than what I did too, my favorite VA/Analog Modeler. Reminds me, where has Elmo been lately?
I will do that riiiiiiight now. Thanks.