Yamaha AN1x.....Just bought one. Thoughts?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
krimzin

Post by krimzin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:45 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by krimzin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian S

Post by Ian S » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:06 pm

The AN1x is one of my favourite synths, maybe not as much as the Odyssey or the Andromeda, but pretty close. I nickname it the CS-90 because of its sound quality & versatility, as well as its expressiveness (though the ribbon controller is a bit short ;) ). I sometimes forget that it's a VA, to me it seems like a classic analogue updated with lots of modern extras (even if it doesn't have as many knobs as I'd like, but then I'm spoiled by things like the Andy & JD800 in that regard ;) ). The feel of the keyboard is also excellent, but Yamaha generally tend to have nice keyboards, or they used to, the AN is the newest Yamaha I've played.
Casio PX-320, Odyssey Mk.1, Multiman-S, Andromeda A6, DW-8000, JD-800, Yamaha DX11, AN1x, & SK30, E&MM/Maplin Spectrum, Akai S3000XL, E-Mu Proformance 1, Esi-32, & Classic Keys, Alesis D4, Rickenbacker 4001.

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:51 pm

Ian S wrote:The AN1x is one of my favourite synths, maybe not as much as the Odyssey or the Andromeda, but pretty close. I nickname it the CS-90 because of its sound quality & versatility, as well as its expressiveness (though the ribbon controller is a bit short ;) ). I sometimes forget that it's a VA, to me it seems like a classic analogue updated with lots of modern extras (even if it doesn't have as many knobs as I'd like, but then I'm spoiled by things like the Andy & JD800 in that regard ;) ). The feel of the keyboard is also excellent, but Yamaha generally tend to have nice keyboards, or they used to, the AN is the newest Yamaha I've played.
Yeah I really do agree with you on the feel of the keys. And it's ability to trick you into thinking you are playing an older synth. Maybe somthing like the Sigma or the Mono Poly....Old synths with limited outward control. I remember playing a Mono Poly and thinking that it's got a limited number of knobs, but what they do is amazing. Same here you can set the knobs on this little yamaha to any configuration you want....From subtle to drastic synthisis. I like the manuverability. I play live and like to not be confused when I'm doing real time tweaking onstage. It's better for me to know that the ring modulator is going to be the ring modulator and not the feedback or the white nois....(If you've ever twisted the wrong knob live...it can suck really hard sometimes......)

Take it light!

Sonny
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:55 pm

Did I just say the Mono Poly had limited outward control???!!!
I mean the Delta!
I'm such a moron sometimes!

I picked the one corg that pretty much has NOTHING BUT KNOBS to mistake for the Delta...Forgive me!

LOL
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Do the step sequenser of the AN1X output midi?

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:34 am

Villi wrote:Do the step sequenser of the AN1X output midi?
Yup with 16 step row for note, velocity, gate (that overlaps for lagato) and any MIDIcc#.

You can also set up one half of the keyboard with a different pattern on each key and transpose it with the other half. You can also set if you want the next pattern to kick in instantly as soon as the next key is hit or run through all 16 steps before going to the next selected pattern. The only niggle is that it doesn't respond to MIDI start/stop tho holding down a key and pressing play on the sync source kinda gets round this. I think the last OS has the sequencer kick in as soon as it receives any MIDI clock but I'm not sure.

The free EG's don't transmit MIDI and can only be recorded using the front panel however it can run simultaneously with the step sequencer which is great for morphing sequences.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: Yamaha AN1x.....Just bought one. Thoughts?

Post by Pro5 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:34 am

old thread but had to comment on my re-found love for the AN1x. I had one previously and sold it after only digging in 50%?

I got another minty looking one a few months ago and wow, what a synth! I too have had that weird feeling 'this must be an analog' while playing it. Presets are c**p, and yes def up the feedback parameter and fiddle with the edge parameter and there you have it...

I converted 4 of my 'trademark' sounds from my JX-3P over to the AN1x, and no joke it nailed them all by 95% and in some cases 'improved' the general tone of them (the JX's tend to have a slightly weird osc sound). Even semi-emulated the Roland chorus using chorus 2 and upping the depth (not that I use the JX chorus that much).

Anyway, it really has surprised me and if you have another analog with similar architecture and nothing too wild on the filter then convert patches over (by value then finish by ear - esp the feedback/edge to kind of sculpt the osc/filter sound of the other synth). It really is do-able in many cases. Factor in you can then use all the AN1x tricks on the sound vs the old analogs and it's just a beautiful, useful and fun to use machine.

It has brought me the 'exact' sounds in my songs from the JX-3P, the alpha juno, nearly there with the Juno 60, and well I've even heard it emulate jupiter 8 and Prophet 5 tones from famous recordings... and by emulate I mean almost there, not the same 100% but not worse either. And yes, it does 'sound analog'. God knows what yamaha stuck in that tiny circuit board, there's nothing to it (the case is mostly hollow) but man did they do their analysis of that prophet 5 tech.

For all of Yamaha's faults and cost cutting on the AN1x's case, I can't fault them for the sound nor the features here (ok I'd love a panel 'hold' button near the layer/portamento - save me using my foot), yes it has compromises in usability as Yamahas often do but you easily know your way around the majority of the synth soon enough. I never read the edit labels on the knobs for example, it becomes obvious - same with the most used on the rockers (Detune, seperation, playmode, tempo, arp type etc) - though I'll map my novation remote to it for full access soon.

I'm basically selling up most of my other synths thanks to the AN1x taking care of 'bread and butter' analog style, and keep the V-synth for the esoteric atmospheres and all the stuff digital does best.

To me AN1x is the best analog *I* have ever owned, and it's not even analog! :mrgreen:

groy

Post by groy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Pro5 wrote:
Pro5, cool post. And way to pass GAS :) I'd love to hear examples of the "almost there" emulations.

analogsynthmuseum

Post by analogsynthmuseum » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Anx1 one of the worst synth ever !!!!!

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 pm

It does suck. Worth 200 tops.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 am

analogsynthmuseum wrote:Anx1 one of the worst synth ever !!!!!
Instead of trolling and making yourself look like a giant douchebag, how about explaining your reasoning? What don't you like about it?

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:19 am

They aren't trolling

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:17 am

Hopefully they'll show enough objectionable opinion to stop price hikes on ebay. Synth sellers can be right C**ts ;)

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm

AN1x, AN200, all PLG's...utterly worthless, shabby, useless pieces.

(doing my part to help)

8-)

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm

This is one classic synth! I bought it in 2003 after selling my OB-12. I was blown away by it's filters and it's incredibly wide sweet spot. I simply couldn't make it sound bad. The only complaint soundwise would be its chorus effect which was too woobly for my taste as I prefer 80's DCO synth style chorus and the fact that it didn't sound quite right when playin a synth string sound as a sort of lead melody, without chords. There was a strange phasing I also noticed on Korg MS2000. Oh, and it has tons of aliasing in the upper registers. But these issues aside it's a really cool synth. I remember one friend coming at my place who was at that time an analog purist and when I played for him a patch that was reminiscent of Prophet 5 his eyes went big. Now he owns 2 AN1x synths and doesn't care if they're VAs. As far as I know they are his main synths now. One of them he bought from me as I went the softsynth route at that time (BIG mistake). The programming actually isn't all that difficult. The interface is quite well done. I'd only wish the knobs were endless encoders or at least that there would be some pickup mode. Oh, the resolution of the knobs is terrible. There is stepping all over the place. The same goes for the pitch and modwheel and the ribbon controller, too. It's plastic, it's kind of ugly, but again, under the hood there is a powerful and very warm sounding synth. I just wouldn't use it for pads all that much. Oldschool leads, basses, arps, yeah! I might buy one again one day.