Please help - Jupiter 4 or Jupiter 6?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WhinyLittleRunt

Please help - Jupiter 4 or Jupiter 6?

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:21 am

Ok, I had asked previously how much I should be paying for a Jupiter 4. The real question I think I should be asking is whether or not the 4 will cut it for me polyphonically... I already own an Oberheim OB-8, and the reason I like the Jupiter 4 is because it has a gnarly growl to it when the osc's are stacked. But how does it hold up as a polyphonic? I mainly play poly stuff, and even though I know the Jupiter 6 is criticized for being "thinner sounding" than the Jupiter 8, is it really that bad? And would it compliment the OB-8 at all or be a waste of time? I was also swayed away from the OB-8 for the longest time due to the same argument but I have been extremely happy with it and don't think it's thin at all.

I need help deciding what do get, because the Jupiter 8 is really out my price range, the Jupiter 4 is hard to find and the Jupiter 6 is almost in over-abundance compared to the first two. Suggestions? Also, if I already own a Polysix would it defeat the purpose of owning a 1 osc Roland like the 4?
    I like vintage synths....

wiss
    Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member!
    Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:18 am

the last 3 "fully working" jupiter-6's sold for 1700, 2000, 2300 on ebay.
    "All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:48 am

wiss wrote:the last 3 "fully working" jupiter-6's sold for 1700, 2000, 2300 on ebay.
    wiss - was this with or without the Europa upgrade?

xpander
    Synth Explorer
    Synth Explorer
    Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:33 am

buy the J6, get Europa installed. it's an excellent polysynth.

clusterchord
    Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:54 am

crazy prices.

last i checked its 1200ish +/- europa.

JP4 woudl complem,ent your OB8 "better" as JP6 is also a CEM based machine. but JP4 and polyphonic playin.. dunnno.. i love its arpeggio for bleepy bloppy sequneces n stuff, and wer eeire leads. but i think u better off e JP6 for poly-heavy playin. or something else..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
    rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

wiss
    Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:10 am

Dr. Sound wrote:
    wiss wrote:the last 3 "fully working" jupiter-6's sold for 1700, 2000, 2300 on ebay.
    wiss - was this with or without the Europa upgrade?
    all europa models.
    "All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:28 am

I would recommend trying out a Jupiter-6 before buying one. The filter is finicky and can get real nasty real fast, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your preference. Even the slightest amount of resonance robs bass and decibels. It is definitely capable of some beautiful, lush sounds as proven by demos by some members here, but I haven't had much luck with it in the limited time I've spent with it(mine has been sitting on the workbench awaiting new end panels ever since I got it). Maybe I just need more time to get used to it
    What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

BluMunk
    Gear: RD700GX
    Korg M3-61/Radias
    Dave Smith PER
    Virus Snow
    FS1R
    JV-2080/Xpanded
    D-550
    Matrix 6R
    Proteus
    QSR
    Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:06 am

I have to say that I'd much rather get a deal on a Jupiter-6 without midi than pay the "full price" with it.

The whole reason I'd get a Jupiter is for the circuitry, not for power as a midi controller; I can buy one of those to suit my needs for $200 or less.

I've got an OB-8 on its way here without midi, and while it made me hesitate for a little bit, I realized that I already own numerous midi controllers. The whole purpose of buying a 'vintage' synth is for the specific sound it creates. If Europa costs an extra x-hundred dollars, I think I'd rather take it without the midi implementation (considering the fact that I'm on a stretched budget).

Also, I recently got a poly evolver, and the 4-voice polyphony has been a little tough for me to get used to; it's one or two voices too few for my tastes.

xpander
    Synth Explorer
    Synth Explorer
    Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:09 am

BluMunk wrote:I have to say that I'd much rather get a deal on a Jupiter-6 without midi than pay the "full price" with it.

The whole reason I'd get a Jupiter is for the circuitry, not for power as a midi controller; I can buy one of those to suit my needs for $200 or less.

I've got an OB-8 on its way here without midi, and while it made me hesitate for a little bit, I realized that I already own numerous midi controllers. The whole purpose of buying a 'vintage' synth is for the specific sound it creates. If Europa costs an extra x-hundred dollars, I think I'd rather take it without the midi implementation (considering the fact that I'm on a stretched budget).

Also, I recently got a poly evolver, and the 4-voice polyphony has been a little tough for me to get used to; it's one or two voices too few for my tastes.
    all J6's have MIDI. the Europa modification adds a great deal to the synth, most importantly MIDI patch storage- that is a HUGE function!! and you can send/record control data in your sequences, another massive professional feature. i don't think for a second the Synthcom people were thinking people with J6's were itching to use their vintage synth as a controller.

i paid $700 for my Jupiter without Europa off of craigslist a few months back, don't let the mercurial and inflated eBay prices make you think you have to pay crazy prices to get your hands on your very own. Europa was maybe $250 more dollars when all ways said and done (i think).

the way i use my PolyEvolver: 4 monosynths, always!

bsh

Post by bsh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:22 am

neandrewthal wrote:I would recommend trying out a Jupiter-6 before buying one. The filter is finicky and can get real nasty real fast, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your preference. Even the slightest amount of resonance robs bass and decibels. It is definitely capable of some beautiful, lush sounds as proven by demos by some members here, but I haven't had much luck with it in the limited time I've spent with it(mine has been sitting on the workbench awaiting new end panels ever since I got it). Maybe I just need more time to get used to it

I got mine for 950 in May, on eBay, definitely not forever ago. Some school carved some kind of serial number on the front panel. Not outrageously obvious but not ideal. Still, it was very nice shape otherwise, great for it's age really, and it's almost no brainer for that kind of money, (these days anyway) if you are in the market for a poly like this.

It's a pretty powerful synth, there are lots of neat things to do with it but also a lot more ways to make it sound bad. I play around with it and sometimes get nowhere but also find stuff I just love. You have to get used to it- I understand exactly the point about the filter, it is a little different. I rarely find a patch I like with the resonance up much, which is not the case usually. I find I like it best when things are a little more natural and subtitle- through a reverb or a tape echo and a tube amp it can sound pretty organic, which is what I wanted.

You can tell is designed for musicians of that era who weren't necessarily interested in bleeps and bloops. That's not bad, it's just how it is. People will say it can't do killer moog-ish bass or X stereotypically synthy thing, but it will surprise you if you dig into it. I just wouldn't necessarily buy it for things like that. It's best when you want something a little more 'traditionally' musical, if that makes sense, though you still have a ton of flexiblity, and it's still very analog.

If the Europa got you velocity sensitivity, I'd already have one, but it doesn't. You can still sequence the basic notes via midi and save your patches the old fashioned way, so I can live without it. I'd rather have a couple hundered worth of effects or what have you.
    MidiMini, MacBeth M5, Synthesizers.com 44 space, MV-8000, VP-9000, RE-201. Arp Solina, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, ARP 2600, Prophet 5.

Analogue Crazy
    Gear: Alesis Andromeda
    Korg MS20 Mini
    Korg Micro Preset
    Korg DS-8
    Yamaha Motif 7
    Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:37 pm

The Jupe4 sounds great in poly mode. It still has a meaty sound and 4 voice is enough for what its good at (basses, strings, brasses). It has an even bigger unison sound than the JUPE6. It sounds a lot more retro and its filter, LFO and Envelopes are simply unbeatable.

Read the review on Bluesynths if you are not convinced.
    A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

plus321

Post by plus321 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:26 pm

Just to say, the Europa upgrade is more sophisticated than upgraded patch storage. The primary upgrades (at least that I use) are on the arpeggiator. It adds multiple modes including random, ordered, sequenced arpeggio, arpeggiated sequence, etc. It also you to set a rest note and record a 16 or 32 step sequence to be arpeggiated or arpeggiate and transpose along the lines of the sequence. You can also use a x0x type editing on the sequence with a row of 16 buttons and light or unlight them depending on what you want to trigger.

Keep in mind that you can do this for both the upper and lower parts (only 16 steps each on the sequence). You also the get the patch memory upgrades and with v2.0 of Europa, you get 5X the amount of patch storage and the ability to layer 2 patches across the whole keyboard, rather than the split. Also, v2.0 will be a free upgrade to existing users via sysex.

Add to this the fact that Europa allows you to control practically everything on the control panel with midi cc and you have an extremely powerful machine.

With a JP-6 you get the ability to select multiple waveforms, crossmod (by envelope), and a real mulitmode resonant filter (LP,HP,BP).

There is also a simple mod that allows you to have an output for the lower & upper parts and thus gives you a lot more flexibility. A lot of people will say that the sound is thin, but I guess it depends on your taste. I spend a lot of time trying to make some sounds thin so that they complement each other in a mix rather than fight for dominance.

If I could have an output for each voice, Europa 2.0, and a rate mod/latch switch for LFO 2, then the Jupiter 6 would be one of the greatest synths that I have used. So personally, I would go for the JP-6, but it may be cost prohibitive (at least according to ebay).

What kind of music do you play? That might be more telling of what machine you would like best.

wiss
    Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member!

Re: Please help - Jupiter 4 or Jupiter 6?

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:27 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote: would it defeat the purpose of owning a 1 osc Roland like the 4?
      I thought the Jupiter-4 had VCO's contolled by one micro-processor....that's were the term compuphonic came from

plus321

Post by plus321 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Sorry, didn't see the link there for your music. I consider the JP-6 to be great, but I work on Electro/Techno so I'm guessing you won't be using it the same way that I do. Still, you can not beat the JP-6 for flexibility.

maindeglorie
      Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Re: Please help - Jupiter 4 or Jupiter 6?

Post by maindeglorie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:52 pm

wiss wrote:
      WhinyLittleRunt wrote: would it defeat the purpose of owning a 1 osc Roland like the 4?
        I thought the Jupiter-4 had VCO's contolled by one micro-processor....that's were the term compuphonic came from
        It has 4 voice polyphony, but only one VCO per patch. Just like the Junos have one DCO per sound in 6 voice polyphony.