808 style kick on the Moog little phatty??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Philly Stress

808 style kick on the Moog little phatty??

Post by Philly Stress » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:11 pm

Has anyone hand any success at creating a 808 style kick on Little phatty??
JoMoX Mbase01

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:20 am

How hard can it be? It's as easy as it would be on any synth with fast envelopes and a self-oscillating filter.

Turn down both the level of both oscillators, raise the filter resonance to 100%, lower the cutoff (and octave if you wish) to suit your taste, and play with the filter envelope amount (probably to a gentle amount, depending on how deep of a sweep you want) and adjust the filter envelope settings until you get something similar then adjust your volume envelope settings to somewhat match.

It's in there, you just need to play with it and use your ears. I'm in front of mine right now (TE #0015) and have come up with several variations upon the 808 kick.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:05 am

What Calyx93 says.

You can also use a vco with a sine or other waveshape, and then use more envelopes for pitch, timbre and volume. This should get you practicaly any analog bassdrum outthere.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:12 pm

calyx93 wrote:How hard can it be? It's as easy as it would be on any synth with fast envelopes and a self-oscillating filter.

Turn down both the level of both oscillators, raise the filter resonance to 100%, lower the cutoff (and octave if you wish) to suit your taste, and play with the filter envelope amount (probably to a gentle amount, depending on how deep of a sweep you want) and adjust the filter envelope settings until you get something similar then adjust your volume envelope settings to somewhat match.
Well, if you didn't know you shouldn't use oscillators, then it would be very hard. Not everyone knows how to program everything.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:53 pm

JSRockit wrote:
calyx93 wrote:How hard can it be? It's as easy as it would be on any synth with fast envelopes and a self-oscillating filter.

Well, if you didn't know you shouldn't use oscillators, then it would be very hard. Not everyone knows how to program everything.
Some analog drums use selfoscillating filters, e.g. the 808, 606 minipops ect. Others use vco's and envelopes to get their sound, e.g. tr-909.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Dirk wrote:
Some analog drums use selfoscillating filters, e.g. the 808, 606 minipops ect. Others use vco's and envelopes to get their sound, e.g. tr-909.
I've only tried using osc myself... that's probably why I couldn't get those nice round BDs. :oops:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:28 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Dirk wrote:
I've only tried using osc myself... that's probably why I couldn't get those nice round BDs. :oops:
The common thread is to use a sine wave, something a lot of vintage analogs don't have.

Sines aren't very useful in subtractive synthesis because there's nothing to subtract :? that's why some analog drum sounds are done with filters which generate a sine when self-oscillating.

If you have neither a sine available from the oscillator and the filter won't oscillate, then you have to use a square or saw and filter it down to just the fundamental to get a sine.

If using the oscillator rather than the filter then you play with the pitch envelope rather than the filter envelope as calyx93 wrote
JSRockit wrote:Not everyone knows how to program everything
That's true but most basic synth tutorials (plenty of them are online) discuss how to create kick drum sounds.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:50 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
That's true but most basic synth tutorials (plenty of them are online) discuss how to create kick drum sounds.
Understood... I haven't thought about drum synthesis on analogs alot since I mostly use samples and the machinedrum.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:49 pm

I like the kicks you can craft on the LP, nice and soft, yet thick.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:31 am

Aren't there some bass drum presets on the Little Phatty SE? There are some on my TE.

Anyway what they all said - making a 808 style kick drum on the LP is a cinch if you know what you're doing. Also crank that overdrive setting if you want a distorted/rippin' kick.

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:27 am

I got a nice 808 kick on the Voyager following these examples. I would record it if I wasn't so lazy.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:23 am

synthetic88 wrote:I got a nice 808 kick on the Voyager following these examples. I would record it if I wasn't so lazy.
Do it and post it!

I have one or two from my Voyager days, but they are buried in tracks. I never cut them out and put them in my sample folder. Plus they used an OSC... :oops:

-I'm gonna go try and make one right now on my 777 using the filter resonance!

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:27 pm

Kick on the 777 is the hardest hitting kick I had ever made on any of my gear. I wouldn’t say that it’s as usable as the 909 kick, but it does hit waaaay harder.

Alpha
I don't drink water, because fish @&^* in it.

Andromeda, Oddy, FR-777, 909, 101, xoxbox, some diy analog effects. And of course STE running Notator to sync all the s**t.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:45 pm

ThinkTanx wrote: I have one or two from my Voyager days, but they are buried in tracks. I never cut them out and put them in my sample folder. Plus they used an OSC... :oops:
There's nothing wrong with using a vco for drum sounds. The Tr-909 does this, so this method seems to work well.
Infact a selfoscillating filter is also an oscillator. But it is damped, that means that it's level drops after some time. This has the advantage that you don't need an envelope to control the vca (for level changes)

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Dirk wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote: I have one or two from my Voyager days, but they are buried in tracks. I never cut them out and put them in my sample folder. Plus they used an OSC... :oops:
There's nothing wrong with using a vco for drum sounds. The Tr-909 does this, so this method seems to work well.
Infact a selfoscillating filter is also an oscillator. But it is damped, that means that it's level drops after some time. This has the advantage that you don't need an envelope to control the vca (for level changes)
Oh, I didn't mean there was anything wrong with it. I think they sound great, or else they wouldn't have been in my track! :P

I was just feigning embarassment at not knowing how a 'true' 808 kick was made.