808 style kick on the Moog little phatty??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Alpha wrote:Kick on the 777 is the hardest hitting kick I had ever made on any of my gear. I wouldn’t say that it’s as usable as the 909 kick, but it does hit waaaay harder.

Alpha
I seemed to get some good kicks happening with it last night. Do you have any tips to take it over the top?

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:34 am

808-like kick from the Voyager, made with oscillating filter:

http://www.jefflaity.com/music/MP3/voyager_808.wav
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

logicalhippo

Post by logicalhippo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:27 am

Dirk wrote: Some analog drums use selfoscillating filters, e.g. the 808, 606 minipops ect.
If we're being honest, 808 used a "Bridged T" oscillator, it didn't go to the complication of a filter. In any case, if you're ever confused about a standard synth sound, a good resource is gordon reid's "synth secrets" articles from soundonsound magazine, all of which are now free on the internet. In particular the drum series is very enlightening.

In my experience, if the filter doesn't quite self-oscillate and you have a noise source, just putting some noise through with very high resonance should do the trick as well :-D

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:23 am

logicalhippo wrote:
Dirk wrote: Some analog drums use selfoscillating filters, e.g. the 808, 606 minipops ect.
If we're being honest, 808 used a "Bridged T" oscillator, it didn't go to the complication of a filter.
An (almost) selfoscillating filter is the same thing as a bridged T oscillator. The name comes from bridged T filter, witch is a standard filter building blok.
Because we wanted to program these sounds on a normal synth, I used the term "self oscillating filter".
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:21 am

All the kicks in my trance-style tracks are Voyager - very knocking and hard-hitting. The LP kicks I use more for old-skool style sounds. I've been working a lot lately with arrangements using the Voyager for kicks and leads, and the LP for bass and acid.
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:38 am

I followed Calyx's instruction on my SH-2 with favorable results. You learn something new everyday. :)

bandreject

Post by bandreject » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Dirk wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
calyx93 wrote:How hard can it be? It's as easy as it would be on any synth with fast envelopes and a self-oscillating filter.

Turn down both the level of both oscillators, raise the filter resonance to 100%, lower the cutoff (and octave if you wish) to suit your taste, and play with the filter envelope amount (probably to a gentle amount, depending on how deep of a sweep you want) and adjust the filter envelope settings until you get something similar then adjust your volume envelope settings to somewhat match.
Well, if you didn't know you shouldn't use oscillators, then it would be very hard. Not everyone knows how to program everything.
Some analog drums use selfoscillating filters, e.g. the 808, 606 minipops ect. Others use vco's and envelopes to get their sound, e.g. tr-909.
I don't know much about the technique used exactly in those machines. But my electronic knowledge sais that some oscilators are amplituners with resonance filters on feedback. And that basically filters used in electronic instruments are based on the same architecture. The only difference is that oscilators doesn't have input signal other than the feedback (signal that is jused for the first "cycle" is the micro noise that every circuit produces). So it is realy hard to separate them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Against the waveshaper.

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 pm

How were my kicks? Give me feedback if you hear room for improvement. I wasn't mad about the click on the attack, but I doubt you'd notice it (or may even welcome it) in a mix.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:43 pm

They were nice and low - but they wobbled a bit, and I think the 808 is a bit more "straight".
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.