Worst Synth Presets

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:40 pm

When I first played my AN1x I was disappointed, although there are a couple of presets that I have kept (after increasing the volume!!) But once I got programming I felt much happier.

The microkorg has some truly bizarre presets!
Stephen(2)

gs

Post by gs » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:23 pm

adamstan wrote:
martinp268 wrote:
The FM Rhodes everyone here seems to decry gets shitty if you have it on a rompler, actually.
That's the point. The magic of DX piano comes from touch sensitivity of the modulators not the carriers (as in romplers).
Totally agreed. The way this patch reacts to velocity is AWESOME.
After having stuck mainly to Rhodes and Wurly emulations over the past 5 or so years, I actually surprised myself by calling up an FM e-piano sound on my Z1. The bite on hard-hit notes is incredible. IMO it's a great sound, but not on Whitney Houston-like ballads where it sounds extremely cheesey - it's better suited on Chick Corea-like fusion pieces, where it still sounds very hip to my ears.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

crow

Post by crow » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:36 pm

The DX7 FM piano is fu of f**k shite. If you want one, buy a f**k real one.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:12 am

dusk wrote:Agreed about VAs having weak presets in general. I don't understand it though; the tineist of tweaks on an existing preset yields a much more interesting sound. Unless the presets were designed by one armed automatons on sabbatical from the Toyota plant? Heck, who knows.
What analog has good presets? The presets on the Matrix 1000 all sound like either the "jump" sound or the generic PWM prog rock lead. All of those mods usually are completely underutilized, if at all.

At least the Virus tried to make it interesting and be creative with the presets. Some of those sound designers on the Virus team are freaking geniuses (Ben Crosland). Wayyy better than 95% of the people on this forum could ever do.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:32 am

i_watch_stars wrote:
dusk wrote:Agreed about VAs having weak presets in general. I don't understand it though; the tineist of tweaks on an existing preset yields a much more interesting sound. Unless the presets were designed by one armed automatons on sabbatical from the Toyota plant? Heck, who knows.
What analog has good presets? The presets on the Matrix 1000 all sound like either the "jump" sound or the generic PWM prog rock lead. All of those mods usually are completely underutilized, if at all.

At least the Virus tried to make it interesting and be creative with the presets. Some of those sound designers on the Virus team are freaking geniuses (Ben Crosland). Wayyy better than 95% of the people on this forum could ever do.
Well said. here. Access have some utterly outstanding sound designers on their books nowadays.
AND they are not alone.
if the Japs ever get fully past their own soundalikes; they will get there. They have made moves.
presets are NOT just to be sniffed at nowadays. Yes, they may get overused but it never stopped a thousand or two cunts making a fortune of them in the past.
of course, making money may upset yer artistic sensibilities.
:idea:
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:41 am

Ohh and before the "I bin them all" band gets on the case, I am sure you do. Must take f**k hours though nowadays. :twisted:
However, what i did mean to say was that, i doubt if anything like 5% of the people who contribute here can program anything like the people who provide these presets. Right?? Wrong??
i just smell shite. And jealousy. And ..and..well not much else.

PS:: i am shite AT it but i am always learning and always have been. I am more than willing to inspect a preset to learn how a or b works.
its easy to say bin them ALL on a forum. look in yer f**k mirror tomorrow and say, I AM BETTER; if ye think you are.

:?:
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:48 am

mao wrote:
Mixolydian wrote:Patch 11 on the Yamaha TX802, "Inside the VLSI." It's sort of a slow attack feedback or squelch with a bit of vibrato. Not sure what the programers were thinking.
Funny... I always thought it's a GREAT preset... I used it as the intro of one of my tune... check it at www.myspace.com/godray it's the third "song"... it starts with some notes of the Patch 11 of the yamaha tx802 followed by a Voyager bass... and lead... and Andromeda's choirs in background...

Cm'on... it's a great sounds !!! :D
WOW, nice track! Very well chilled. It reminds me of a German compilation LP I have called Magic Age. Excellent use of preset patch 11, and I rescind my comment. (Actually, "Patch 11" sounds like a good artist name. Hmmm... ) I'm listening to FMlogie now.

I've got to set up a MySpace Music page. AcidPlanet uses WMA compression which just kills the mids.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:20 am

The entire brass section of the micron...

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:39 am

most of the virus ti's presets are pretty awful. great for bread and butter trance music, but not so good for other things.

The machinedrum as well.

luckily rui peixoto and a few others created some excellent ram banks for the virus.

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

hugsnballoons

Post by hugsnballoons » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:52 am

i remember promars preset was very,..well , as i rember

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:08 pm

i always thought the 'magic organ' patch was possibly the worst on older korg synths... it's on the Wavestation SR and i think a few others...

sequence

Post by sequence » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:25 pm

crow wrote: PS: its easy to say bin them ALL on a forum. look in yer f**k mirror tomorrow and say, I AM BETTER; if ye think you are :?:
Ahh the only words of wisdom in this otherwise bloody worthless thread. :roll:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:20 pm

crow wrote:PS:: i am shite AT it but i am always learning and always have been. I am more than willing to inspect a preset to learn how a or b works.
its easy to say bin them ALL on a forum. look in yer f**k mirror tomorrow and say, I AM BETTER; if ye think you are.
Geez... I never thought I'd agree with crow, but there you have it. Good points, all.

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:14 am

not to add to this brain dead worthless thread mind ye but I thought my Q (rack) had the crappiest presets of any VA :evil: Too cold and clinical in a precise, Teutonic sort of way. Bah, where's the love?? :cry:

Mind all ye fooles out there, presets have a f**k purpose in yr lives! if'n ye dunna like them then go analog w/o bloody patch memory FCOL
twentyfirst century fizMO man