More preset talk. Kind of.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

More preset talk. Kind of.

Post by Tyler2000 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:47 am

Out of all the synths/drum machines/samples/etc that you have or have had, which one (or ones) came with the best sounds/beats/sampes/etc on it. If you want to talk about presets, that's find, but I'm talking more about what the person before you did with it.

My ESQ-1 came with some REALLY innovative patches on it. Well, on carts. I got some great evolving pads and recreation of human laughter. It's sooooooo creepy! It was also full of alot of s**t, too.
so what do I put down here now?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Hmmm... some of my favorites were on the desktop evolver... but I could never use them... they were too obvious, the ones I liked.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Several pieces that I own came from famous composers and bands, and I was fortunate enough to have received this gear with their original patches still on them. Some of the sellers even gave me their patches on disks, included with all of the materials for the synths. Listening to their albums and watching their films, I have heard these same patches in use. Pretty cool.

WD

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:21 pm

I had SCI 6-track that was from a Music Rental Company. It was rented by a lot of "famous" people and had their patches programmed into it. They even wrote the value number down of each parameter in the back of the manual.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:44 pm

my emaxII previous owner got it from somebody moderately famous and their samples sucked. apparently being famous means you dont need to find good loop points rather just half assedly slap on cross fading wherever.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:37 pm

the presets of the Roland CR-800 are great.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:28 pm

when I first got the EM1 Korg I was impress by the preset factory patterns. It sounds too good as it sounds like I'm listening to a cd(kinda quality). 8)

Spike Vincent
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Post by Spike Vincent » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:49 pm

I always restore the factory settings as a matter of principle.I don't want other people's sounds no matter what they sound like.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Spike Vincent wrote:I always restore the factory settings as a matter of principle.I don't want other people's sounds no matter what they sound like.
i've done this too...but, i've also listened first and learned from some programming tricks "how did they get it to squeal like that??"
...its like a cheat sheet for a new synth i guess.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:54 pm

I've never noticed any particularly good patches on synths I've purchased used. Almost all of them had the original presets still there.

As far as new--I think I was impressed most by the K2VXs (sounded "bigger" than the XP-50 it replaced) and the MicroQ. I wasn't too fond of a lot of the trance or techno patches on the MicroQ, but I thought a lot of the standard sounds were quite useable.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:25 am

My Roland MKS-50 came with some very cool non-original patches, and I've never taken them out. What's really weird is that one of them overrode the "What The" preset, perhaps the 50s most famous patch. I can load it via my PG-300 emulator, so I don't care really.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:42 am

Not sure if it was hoax or not, but I remember seeing an Emax for auction on Ebay about five years ago which allegedly belonged to New Order. It had a few sample floppy discs labeled after different songs, but I only remember two of which were "True Faith" and "Touched by the Hand of God." Would have been interesting to check out some of those individual samples.

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:51 am

Re-Member wrote:Not sure if it was hoax or not, but I remember seeing an Emax for auction on Ebay about five years ago which allegedly belonged to New Order. It had a few sample floppy discs labeled after different songs, but I only remember two of which were "True Faith" and "Touched by the Hand of God." Would have been interesting to check out some of those individual samples.
Oh

My

God

No!

Oh

my god! :)
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:19 am

Absynth. Amazing soundscapes that I do not hesitate to put in my songs as they are.